The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Default Ca ox

Ended up purchasing an OX Raw w/o electronics. Really like it thus far. Comfortable for me to play sitting, and sounds good to my ear.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Guest 928

Stevie;

Congratulations! I think the Ox is a remarkable guitar. I sold mine to pursue nylon strung instruments. The friend I sold it to played it for a number of years and then passed it on to his son, a musical prodigy, who has played the guitar through Africa and much of America. Have you tried slide? you might be surprised. The Ox can just about do everything--now it's up to you. Enjoy.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I would also suggest trying the CA GX---sooo comfortable with a big sound!
I would double ditto down on that. See if it fits if you get the chance. A one point I thought a smaller guitar would be nice for me, so I spent time with the Emerald X5, 7, I own an X10N, the CA GXi, and the Rainsong Parlor and Shorty.

The larger GX is the comfort winner for my body size (5'8") and that surprised me. The GX blends into your body standing up and is very "leanable" between songs when you're sitting down. And it doesn't stick in your ribs like the CFs that have a traditional "woodlike" body.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:48 AM

StevieMar - I have owned a CA OX - Raw since they were first released. I have always referred to it as the swiss army knife version of a guitar. A very nice general use guitar. Like most of the original CA's a nice warm almost woody tone. The sustain is amazing. I have toyed with the idea of selling it but have yet to part with it.

The pre-Peavy Raw versions were not always cosmetically perfect, but then they sold at the old Cargo like prices of about $900 new. All in all a good value guitar.

I also have an Emerald but it is the original X-5 travel guitar which is no longer in the Emerald lineup. Its a woody and I do love it, though not everyone cup of tea.

I still think the CA - OX is well worth considering for anyone looking at an all around carbon guitars. There just has not been as much CA love on the forums as there used to be. They used to have a stronger presence on the MacNichol forum but with its passing interests have changed.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieMar View Post
Ended up purchasing an OX Raw w/o electronics. Really like it thus far. Comfortable for me to play sitting, and sounds good to my ear.
Congrats.....I have two that I have had for years. Very much a swiss army knife of carbon guitars. Good for strumming, finger picking and the like and very full sound for its size.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

The body size is very comfortable! The tone is balanced and quite warm to my ears either playing with a pic or fingerstyle...

The CA Legacy to me was too deep and sort of sharp edged. I did not care for it. The CA GX was a very comfortable body shape and I like what they did with the offset soundhole. The sound of that guitar had a bit more low range and mid range and more volume than the ox but both of them sound fantastic!

One thing I'd mention... I was not able to find a narrow neck model of any CA floating around and I really should have looked harder! The first position and first few frets feel perfect to me but when you get above the fifth fret, it becomes wide and flat and for me at least, while playing lead is no issue up there, bar chords are not comfortable for me. Personal preference though. Other people love this neck...

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-16-2017 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Selling outside the Classifieds
Old 01-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I seem to remember one of the contributors to the now defunct MacNichol Carbon Guitar Forum, I think it was jonfields45, who had a CA OX and found it kind of small and he bought a guitar-lift of some sort to bring it to his preferred playing position when seated. He posted a photo of himself with the CA OX being supported by the lift device which rested on his thigh. Jon posts to AGF and maybe he'll offer some thoughts on the size and playing comfort of the OX.
The device you're referring to is likely a "Neck-up" guitar support.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

The ox as well as the gx I owned were both comfortable for me in terms of how the guitar sat in my lap. If someone is playing standing though, I'd pick the ox over the gx. Still, both are more comfortable than standing with a dreadnought in my experience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber