The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-04-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacol View Post
Does anybody know what the total string spacing is on the Yamaha SLG200N?
Mine measures right at 41mm at the nut and 57 at the saddle. Just got it today!

Mark
Old 03-07-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Is anybody gigging one of these?

Thanks

hunter
This is my question as well. How do these sound live?

How does it sound compared to regular nylon string acoustic with pickups? And how does it sound compared to a regular nylon with mics?

I usually am quite traditional with my playing because of my classical training, but lately I've been going towards either fingerstyle or bossa nova. would this suite those styles?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:25 PM

I actually have another question too. Anybody traveling with one of these? Do they really pack small enough to reliably get in the airline overheads? Is the bag protective enough? Unfortunately I may have to order untested since no one in my area stocks them. And I haven't quite been ready to go that far.

Mainly though, is anybody taking these out to gig? If they sound decent, just the look alone would be enough to make them an interesting stage option. Gotta get the crowds attention some way.

hunter
Old 03-14-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dischord View Post
Mine measures right at 41mm at the nut and 57 at the saddle. Just got it today!

Mark
Thanks a lot for sharing that info Mark!
My dealer has finally restocked on the nylon version, I should be able to get one today
Old 03-24-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
I actually have another question too. Anybody traveling with one of these? Do they really pack small enough to reliably get in the airline overheads? Is the bag protective enough? Unfortunately I may have to order untested since no one in my area stocks them. And I haven't quite been ready to go that far.

Mainly though, is anybody taking these out to gig? If they sound decent, just the look alone would be enough to make them an interesting stage option. Gotta get the crowds attention some way.

hunter
I've flown with my 130NW several times, without a problem. I pad the area around the headstock and nut with a hand towel, but that's me being cautious. No problems, to date, and it's always fit in the overhead. Just make sure no one slams a bag on top of it.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:25 AM

I just got one in at the beginning of the week to try out. I have to make a decision Tuesday whether I'm keeping it or not, but I think I will. Here are my opinions of it.

1) My headphones suck. I budgeted for the guitar but did not factor in headphones. I've been using it every morning (while everyone else is sleeping... I'm always the first one up) for practice and will probably continue if I keep it, so a good pair of headphones is necessary.

2) I'm plugging it into a Peavey ecoustic 110 and obviously I haven't had a chance to play live yet, but when I do I'm confident the live sound will be great. I've cranked it up almost to the max and no feedback. Never have to worry about mics again.

3) The sound is good. Surprisingly natural. If you tweak the settings you can get much more sounds than you have with a regular acoustic, plus plugging into an amp or some type of pre amp will allow even more options. I didn't think I would use the blend switch as much as I do. I thought I would keep it on mic... For the natural sound, but the piezo is a really good tool as well.

4) The sustain of each note is longer though. This is an advantage when you want a melody to sing out (example: cavatina), but is a disadvantage when you want notes to disappear (example: stopping open string bass notes). I think that this is just a matter of readjusting playing technique.

Overall, great guitar. I think that this is all it is advertised to be, a great practice, studio and live guitar. I will use it for all three.

Just to end though. What strings are people using with this. I have to change the factory strings, they're horrible. I usually like Savarez on my Alhambra. Would these be suitable for a classical-electric? Does someone have another string to recommend specifically for this guitar?
Old 04-30-2016, 09:21 AM

I'm gigging one of these now. Took a trip to the tech for nut and saddle work and some careful adjustments to get optimum flatness on the neck but I now have flamenco approved action which is my norm with a little room left on the saddle. Since it is a stick, I don't expect much to ever change. The guitar comes with what I'd call old school traditional classical guitar action, in the 3+/3.5+ range, with the nut cut a little high. I now sit at about 2.5/3. Still plays clean and is comfortable and comparable to my real flamenco acoustics.

Live it has worked well. If it feeds back I haven't had it happen yet. I run the blend about 3/4. In a live setting the nylon string sound is a fine. A little less convincing up close and personal but still fine. Maybe a little bassy but minor eq adjustments and string choice more or less take care of that. I am not crazy about the headphone sound but if quiet shedding is the goal, it will get the job done. I got it for live performance and easy transportation and it seems to win on both accounts. Also the crowd seems to get a kick out of it.

I now have mine strung with my standard gig strings. Hard tension D'Addario composite basses and normal tension Savarez Alliance trebles. This combination works fine especially with the slightly bassy plugged in voice of the guitar.

Lastly I don't find the reverbs all that useful. I'll have to experiment recording with them but to my ear they go from off to too lush and tend to push the guitar too far back in the mix. I never even tried the chorus.

hunter
Old 05-06-2016, 12:06 PM

Default Great instrument, but has minor firmware bug.

I love mt SLG200n & will be taking it to the shop to have the electronics swapped out with one with the firmware fix. The problem as noted by Yamaha is, if you play and hold an "A" on the 4th string 7th fret you may hear a pop. Yamaha describes it as a "pop"' but to me it sounds like I plucked the note twice within a second. Yamaha has a service bulletin that is references this specifically. I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to go through a lengthy process of describing it to them & then having to wait for a solution. I saw this issue with 2 samples. My serial number is 3200320, but not sure the range effected. It's a minor problem, but if you are recording, it may be a bigger deal. BTW sometimes I can get it to repeat several times in a row & other times not. Doesn't matter what the settings are & it's audible on the headphone out as well as the main out. Yamaha has updated pcb's in stock for service centers to order.
Kev
Old 05-13-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeyed View Post
.... Yamaha has a service bulletin that is references this specifically....
Anyone have a link to that service bulletin? I'm not seeing it on Yamaha's site....

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 PM

Call the tech support & they will look it up. I'll try to find the reference number they gave me.
Edit: The Service Bulletin is #2032 & the part number is TG603dOO

Just added a new pickguard & arm rest. Armrest is a huge improvement in comfort.

kev

Last edited by Bugeyed; 05-18-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Call the tech support & they will look it up. I'll try to find the reference number they gave me.
Acouple of mods.

kev
I have been thinking about getting the steel string version, do you know if this firmware bug effects the the SLG 200 s also ?
I like the looks of your 200 n, is it the Natural or Sunburst finish ?
It hard for me to tell from the pictures I've seen.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 05-15-2016, 06:49 AM

Mine is the Trans Black version. Although it doesn't show in the photo, in person, you can see that the black is somewhat transparent with a hint of wood color peeking through. The frame is brown wood on the edges. Of course the pick guard & arm rest are custom. I don't know if the firmware bug is present in the steel string model.
kev
Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Acouple of mods.

kev
I love the armrest. This would be cool to do to mine. How did you do this? Was it hard?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbio84 View Post
I love the armrest. This would be cool to do to mine. How did you do this? Was it hard?
Depends on your skills. I have some!
Thanks.
You can use 3/8" or 1/4" stock & just cut it to shape from a pattern of your guitar's rim. Leave the bottom flat & shape the top curve however you like. Depending on the wood you choose, finishing can be the most difficult part. I chose to just use a high quality paste wax to give it a nice shine & keep it easy to maintain. BTW the pick guard is 1/8" thick wood that is just applied to the existing PG with double sided tape. I made it a bit bigger & shaped it slightly differently. I used a double sided mounting tape for the arm rest. The foam type is very hard to remove, so I am using an automotive molding tape. It's more of a rubber than foam. I am still experimenting with various mounting tapes. These arm rests for the silent guitar are much easier to make than ones for conventional acoustic guitars because you don't need to shape the under side to keep it off the guitar top. My next project, after I get the nut finished, is to redo the leg rest. Thinking about making one with a cut out center in keeping with the overall design.
kev
Old 05-18-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dischord View Post
Anyone have a link to that service bulletin? I'm not seeing it on Yamaha's site....

Thanks,
Mark
The Service Bulletin is #2032 & the part number is TG603dOO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical