The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 03:31 PM

If it's loud your after you need to check out a J-29. They are discontinued now but still plenty about. Price is inbetween a j-15 and a j-45

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 04-24-2017, 03:33 PM

I haven't really played any of them (except a couple of J-45's) but I'd have to say if it were me, I'd go for the J-45 because for me it's one of those iconic bucket list guitars (for me, anyway).

If I bought the J-15 I'd probably tell myself that I like it just as much as the J-45 but in the back of my mind I'd always be longing for the J-45. So I'd just get the 45 and be done with it.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 04-24-2017, 03:52 PM

I just looked at my original post and realized that I left out the sentence saying that I bought a late 2016 J-15 back in Feb 2017 (pristine shape from seeetwater) but have been kicking myself for not exploring the J-45 because of the price at the time.

I can actually get the J-45 now but wanted to make sure it was worth the extra net cost of 1) a good j-45 price offset by the 2) j-15 resale loss

I'm leaning toward paying a little more for one "keeper" and I keep coming back to the 45. My j15 sounds better than others that I've tried but I'll bite the bullet and not look back if I can get something reasonable. Lesson learned.

For sale section here and/or eBay here I come ...

All of the comments have been very helpful - thanks!

Mike

Last edited by Mike CT; 04-24-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I haven't really played any of them (except a couple of J-45's) but I'd have to say if it were me, I'd go for the J-45 because for me it's one of those iconic bucket list guitars (for me, anyway).

If I bought the J-15 I'd probably tell myself that I like it just as much as the J-45 but in the back of my mind I'd always be longing for the J-45. So I'd just get the 45 and be done with it.
That's what I just did. The 15 is on the way to its new home as I type this and I'm on day 3 or so with the J-45. I love it. Sounds so rich and, just different. Very tight and I love the way that the high notes stand out in a non in your face way. I also feel that being a little less bright helps to hide my not great, but improving, playing!

Very happy that I bit the bullet. I bought it through Sweetwater and asked the sales person to try a bunch to get a sound that I was looking for and that was the one that I bought. I'm very happy with it.

Last edited by Mike CT; 05-07-2017 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Typo again - iPhone....
Old 05-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike CT View Post
That's what I just did. The 15 is on the way to its new home as I type this and I'm on day 3 or so with the J-45. I love it. Sounds so rich and, just different. Very tight and I love the way that the high notes stand out in a non in your face way. I also feel that being a little less bright helps to hide more poor (but improving) playing!

Very happy that I bit the bullet. I bought it through Sweetwater and asked the sales person to try a bunch to get a sound that I was looking for and that was the one that I bought. I'm very happy with it.
Congrats Mike!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-07-2017, 09:16 AM

Watching Tony's video, the J45 is a more "throaty" voice with clearer note definition. I have played both and I like them both. I don't own either one, but if I had to pick, I would pick the 45 because my Pono SS Dread sounds remarkably close to the J15 especially with Monel strings.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-07-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Watching Tony's video, the J45 is a more "throaty" voice with clearer note definition. I have played both and I like them both. I don't own either one, but if I had to pick, I would pick the 45 because my Pono SS Dread sounds remarkably close to the J15 especially with Monel strings.
This is going to sound a little odd but I have been a metal guy all of my life: maiden, priest, Metallica, Motörhead, motley, volbeat, etc. I started getting hooked on some more modern country a couple of years ago and love it. I've seen Jason Aldean, Eric Church, and am seeing Kenny Chesney this summer. That's about how broad it is right now but I really wanted an acoustic to play those songs and I'm pretty pumped right now.

For my electric I have a Fender strat that is very good for metal. Given my background, I wanted to make sure that in getting an acoustic I ended up with something that wouldn't come across a thin and super bright (no offense meant if someone loves that sound!). The J-45 seems to check off all of the boxes, the short scale has grown on me, and I love the look of it and that it's hand made here.

Last edited by Mike CT; 05-07-2017 at 10:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion