The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-24-2017, 06:16 AM

I think it's all about the avoidance of the anxiety of choice. Everyone has their own level of tolerance for this. We settle on some things so we can relax and not need to choose all the time.

In artistic things, I'm often a contrary cuss, and I'm often all about moving toward adding some choice to something I could settle back and let enjoy the comfort of favorite things.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-24-2017, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

I think it's normal to have favorites. I certainly do, but that doesn't mean it's to the exclusion of variety. Even favorites can get stale if you don't let them breathe.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 AM

Favorites can be a moving target too. My favorite flavor ice cream used to be rocky road until I tried raspberry chocolate chip from Graeter's Ice Cream Parlor and a new favorite was born.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:44 AM

My favorite color is blue, my favorite number is 5, my favorite cruise line is Oceania, my favorite car brand is Lexus, my favorite motorcycle brand is Yamaha.

My dogs have always had a favorite toy and place to nap.

And so it goes...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:08 AM

I like everything equally.

How zen is that ?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 AM

Honestly, I think a lot of our 'favorite' choices can be traced back to childhood- maybe the favorite shade of red was associated with a toy truck or the design of a logo may have had pleasant connotations.

And then of course, there was the Martin D-42 that my parents placed next to me in my crib....

best,

Rick
Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 AM

Well you surely realize that some things are better than others in every aspect of our lives so I do not see it as strange.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM

It's a nice way to have "control" over some things we like, I think. I think that's all we really want, even from a young age. To be in charge of what we surround ourself with.

My favorite color is brown, food is Mexican (street tacos for the win) number is 17. No connection to the # at all, I just like the way it looks.

And amyFB holy crap yes m7b5 chords...which are also rootless 9ths...and m6's...BEST. CHORD. EVER.

But pick a favorite guitar? That's like picking a favorite child: Impossible, and wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Yup. My favorite guitar is whichever one I happen to be playing. My favorite dog is whichever one I happen to be hunting behind. My favorite color is the yellow hues of popple trees in fall...or is it the fire red of the maples and sumac? Depends upon which one my eyes happen to alight upon. My favorite weather is cool, calm, sunny days in fall, unless I'm fishing in summer in which case I prefer warm (not hot) and cloudy to encourage hatches and make my silhouette less visible to the trout. My favorite car is the one that is currently running the most reliably. My favorite chords? Whichever sounds best, goes best in the song I am playing. I have a lot of favorites.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic