The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I know that sounds like kind of a goofy question and maybe it is, but I was just wondering what my buds here at OM would have to say about it. I'm going in for a second opinion next week for a medical condition that could involve surgery. Nothing life threatening thank God, but serious enough for me to be curious enough to ask for a second opinion. My question relates to "tactics" so to speak. I was mulling it over and thought well maybe I shouldn't say anything to the second doc about the opinion of the first doc because that could possibly "taint" the opinion of the second doc, that he might possibly be influenced by the first diagnosis and treatment recommendation. Maybe the second doc wouldn't want to challenge the medical opinion of the first doc and would just go along to get along so to speak. The first doc is V.A., the second doc is outside the VA so he couldn't pull anything up on my unless I told him about my first visit to the V.A. and gave him my permission to access my V.A. medical records. Geez, all of the sudden I'm feeling kinda of sneaky about this. I don't know, what do you think? "Fess up or shut up?
How can our society have sunk so low, that not only is quality medical care reserved for the privileged, but you have to ask about being open and honest with a DOCTOR???? It's because most medical practices are run by and for corporations, especially the V.A. If you can't be honest, go find a matchbook, or Doctor Google and get some help.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Wad,

Whoever's opinion you decide, I wish you a successful operation and a quick and speedy recovery.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:51 AM

If you know nothing about your condition, do as much research as you can. Go to the second opinion and ask as many questions as you can. It should give you a better idea of the prognosis. In some communities, a second opinion can be a little passe because the "second doctor" then rings the first doctor for his opinion, regardless of if the second doctor knows you've seen the other bloke, or not.

My wife has been chronically ill for years, accordingly, we have learnt as much as we can about her medical condition, and history. We also had to move interstate to ensure that we were able to get the care that we needed given that the community in which we resided was rather small and did not have the facilities of the Big Smoke.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 AM

At 36 I had one of the best heart surgeons in the area and well known throughout the United States give me an opinion about a very serious heart condition. His reccomendation was to keep an eye on the problem and do the corrective surgery if my condition worsened. My wife and I were surprised by his response and it showed on our faces. I'll never forget what he said in response: "I'm giving you good news". We felt a second opinion was in order.

The second doctor advised not to wait as he felt I was at was at a high risk of an un-survivable failure. He had all the info and test results in hand as the first doctor. I had surgery within a month at the University of Washington. The Surgeon told me after the surgery we made the right decision and that I would have not made it more than a month or two. The pathology report done by the UW confirmed his assesment. That was almost 26 years ago.

My "opinion" is always question and go with your gut. Nothing wrong with a second opinion.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

In my area all the doctors of any specialty are in the same office. We have two hospitals. There are many stories about second opinions.

True story here. A guy came to town at the age of 50. I got to know him as he was a guitar player. A real character and a cardiologist. I asked him why at the age of fifty would he be moving to our city for a different job. He told me he got fired from his last job. As time past he started telling my wife and I about the troubles he was having at work. He told all his friends. He was a very blunt person, to blunt. The group of us guys that hung out together used to joke about his bed side manner. He wouldn't listen to others advice and my take on him was he was very self defeating. He got fired after a year or so. Went through a couple of other hospitals and has now kept his job at the VA down in Texas for about four years.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic