The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Recommendation

Hi All,

I typically play fingerstyle steelstring guitar. I have been thinking about picking up a nylon string guitar. My mother-in-law recently got and Alhambra 4P. It sounds reasonable enough to me and I like to way it feel overall.

I was wondering if there were other recommendations to check out? I will most likely be buying using if I can. I'm not looking for something too serious but a solid top and reasonable tuners would be nice.

Anything else I should consider and or think about is appreciated.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Are you looking for a narrow and small neck? Or a wide and chunky neck? Do you prefer a big, round, mellow tone? Or a bright, snappy, explosive tone? Do you want a cutaway and/or electronics?

I've got a Breedlove American C25 SReH steel string that I like, but my Breedlove Passport N250 nylon rarely gets played. I used to have a Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova nylon that was wonderful, but it got sold to fund more Cordoba nylons once I discovered my preference for those.

The point I'm trying to make is that just because you have a preference in a steel string, doesn't mean you'll have the same preference in a nylon. You'd be best served by laying hands on some more nylons to find out what you're really looking for. I love flamenco tone and response, so that's why the Cordobas really speak to me. But Cordoba makes crossover models (like their Fusion series) and those may be more up your alley. Yamaha makes some great crossover models (like the NTX series), but they don't have near the tone and response of the Cordobas when played unplugged. Taylor and Martin also make some great crossovers, but they'll be more spendy than the Cordobas, Yamahas, and Breedloves.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:01 PM

I bought an ADM classical guitar kit on Amazon for 100 dollars, I love this thing so much. I have never owned a guitar that sounds this good its tuners aren't so bad but they could be better, but the build is really very nice it has a beautiful fretboard, good resonation and I love it. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 AM

The Córdoba C5 and C7 models are among the best sounding guitars in their respective price ranges. You can get the C5 in a slightly scaled down size, called the C5 Dolce. The nut width is just a bit narrower than standard for classical guitars and the scale is somewhere around 24.8", I think. I am trying to decide if I want the C7 spruce top, or the C5 Dolce. The C7 models I have played seem to be a bit more full sounding than the C5 models I have played. I have not played the C7 with the spruce top, nor have I gotten a chance to play the smaller C5 Dolce model. Anyway, I think any of these would be a good choice for an entry level sort of guitar and beyond...
Old 04-19-2017, 02:22 PM

What's your budget? I recently went guitar shopping for a student of mine. I ended up buying the lowest end Yamaha classical, the C40 model. You would be surprised how good it sounds for a $150 guitar. I own a classical that costs 10X as much, and this cheap Yamaha sounds almost as good.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpocketnj View Post
Hi All,

I typically play fingerstyle steelstring guitar. I have been thinking about picking up a nylon string guitar. My mother-in-law recently got and Alhambra 4P. It sounds reasonable enough to me and I like to way it feel overall.

I was wondering if there were other recommendations to check out? I will most likely be buying using if I can. I'm not looking for something too serious but a solid top and reasonable tuners would be nice.

Anything else I should consider and or think about is appreciated.
Cordoba offers very good value for the money, here's two videos of mine (one with pick and the other fingerstyle) on a Cordoba Maple Fusion 14 (solid spruce top/laminated maple back and sides, 48mm nut width). I really love this guitar which has a very clear and pure sound.

Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 04-21-2017, 06:52 PM

I own an Alvarez AC65HCE it's a crossover. It's a very good nylon at an affordable price.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:33 PM

If you are in the hunt for a crossover type, the Yamaha NTX or NCX models are excellent. I have an NTX700. Plugged in, it sounds fantastic. Purely acoustic playing is decent. I only play acoustically 98% of the time so I am pondering trading my NTX in for one of the Córdoba models that are traditional acoustic models. Maybe a C5, C7, or a C10 spruce parlor. What works best for you might depend on your playing styles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical