The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-22-2017, 12:46 PM

I thought Marcus was a nice kid, but here he is giving the entire forum the finger...hmmm
Old 04-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Back in the early 90s, I had the privilege of attending a Michael Hedges show in a very small and intimate venue, sitting so close that I could have reached out and strummed his guitar if I had dared. During the first ten minutes, he carried on a dialogue with us while he fashioned nails from ping pong balls, and stuck them onto his finger tips with super glue. He clipped and filed until he had them shaped exactly the way that he wanted them.....and then went on to blow my mind with his artistry. There has never been another guit(ar)tist who could reach inside my heart as deeply as Michael could.
I've heard of this technique but I believe people nowadays just man up, and head down to a nail salon to get their manicure on and wow, you are very fortunate to have witnessed such a legend close up. It must be a very fond memory of yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I thought Marcus was a nice kid, but here he is giving the entire forum the finger...hmmm
Trust me, the first few pictures I tried to take were a lot more offensive

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-22-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
I have the same problem on i, m, a. Not the pinky, for some reason. It's... annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
My finger nail looks just like yours. Some finger. Annoying.
Woah... so it is more common than I thought! Any idea how it came about and does it affect the attack/sound you achieve out of your guitar like it did in my case? Any way around it?

Rog, that is pretty unfortunate

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Woah... so it is more common than I thought! Any idea how it came about and does it affect the attack/sound you achieve out of your guitar like it did in my case? Any way around it?

Rog, that is pretty unfortunate
In my case, I stiffen up the nail with wraps or plastic tips, which helps flatten it. Keeping the nail as short as possible as long as you can still use it also helps--it doesn't have as much of a free, unsupported edge to curl up.

And re. Michael Hedges, I can confirm--no one like him before or since. Brilliant, one of a kind.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Default A beautiful update,

Old 04-26-2017, 04:34 PM

Marcus,

I've often made jokes about how you should play an Olson -- but in all seriousness I think Joel's guitars suit you perfectly. Joel's building style is technically inspiring, modern, cool and edgy -- a bit on the outrageous side (like your haircut).

I hope you'll enjoy owning several guitars from the same builder as much as I have. Being able to choose from two different but similar instruments is such an inspiring privilege.

It would be great to see you post recordings more often. Get a setup at home and show off your chops...

BTW very good choice on the BRW.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Looks like Joel is using Kevin Ryan's A4 Kerfed Linings....
Old 04-26-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post

Mmmm ... the background in these images looks awfully familiar

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 04-26-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I believe he said this is going to be his new standard.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:35 PM

Oh my... What a beautiful update indeed!!! I saw this a few hours ago but had to go in for one of my final examinations. Hopefully I didn't subconsciously write about my Michaud in the paper I was hoping this update would reveal the mystery design!!! Now you're just killing me with the suspense

I'm especially excited about owning one of Joel's instruments with a Florentine Cutaway. It has such beautiful lines to compliment the body shape. And for those possibly wondering why the insides of the sides are of a different wood, it is because Joel uses a double-side construction with Mahogany inner sides to stiffen the rim.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 04-26-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Marcus,

I've often made jokes about how you should play an Olson -- but in all seriousness I think Joel's guitars suit you perfectly. Joel's building style is technically inspiring, modern, cool and edgy -- a bit on the outrageous side (like your haircut).

I hope you'll enjoy owning several guitars from the same builder as much as I have. Being able to choose from two different but similar instruments is such an inspiring privilege.

It would be great to see you post recordings more often. Get a setup at home and show off your chops...

BTW very good choice on the BRW.
Hey Mau, thanks for the compliment (?) on my hair haha! I do like the way yours has turned out recently though Very few would not jump at the chance to own an Olson which is both a piece of art and of history; given the opportunity, I would gladly adopt an Olson into the family!

Man, I'm really blessed to be owning 2 of his instruments in some of the finest woods available. You probably know what I am talking about I have definitely considered investing in some gear for recording, but... at this point in time, I feel that I do not have enough time to learn the ropes for recording. Also, Singapore is not very conducive for recording unless you have a sound proof room; I share a block with hundreds if not thousands of residents, which is a stone's throw away from the main road, adjacent to which is a school and a military camp. The noise is quite disturbing especially on sensitive microphones. You have no idea the trouble I had to go through to record the ones on my YouTube channel already haha

Not really an excuse I know, but it is on my to-do list for sure. Meanwhile, I think might just record audio clips on my smart phone to upload onto Sound Cloud which is better than nothing. Somehow that thought never crossed my mind, but it seems like a good idea haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I was wondering when his work got so clean

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-26-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
I believe he said this is going to be his new standard.
Kevin Ryan is one of the greatest innovators ever to grace the guitar world. Much respect to that man!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-26-2017, 10:59 PM

You had us worried there for a while! I saw the pics and nothing from you! Now I can go to sleep!Haha
Congrats Marcus!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:46 AM

hey Marcus, it's taking shape fast, just wondering what is the inner side, spanish cedar or something like that?
2021 Buendia OMF Swiss Moon/BRW
2022 Isaac Jang OM
2023 Kraut OO
Old 04-27-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelix View Post
You had us worried there for a while! I saw the pics and nothing from you! Now I can go to sleep!Haha
Congrats Marcus!
Thanks Paul! Hahah busy period for me right now till the end of next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard F. View Post
hey Marcus, it's taking shape fast, just wondering what is the inner side, spanish cedar or something like that?
It SHOULD be Honduras Mahogany as I know that it is Joel's preferred inner side material. I shall have to double check that with him or let Josh chime in on that

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
build thread, joel michaud, michaud made, moon spruce