The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
In researching an amp purchase, I've come across a couple of folks saying that Carvin's manufacturing quality (as opposed to audio quality) is lousy. If accurate, that big negative would be compounded by their direct to consumer marketing setup (no dealers for repairs). Does anyone have sufficient knowledge/experience to comment?

Thanks.
Carvin has been around for over 50 years. There were times when their products were less than average and times when their products were above average. At no time were the products the worst, or best, of all the then available choices.

I don't know too much about this, but I strongly suspect that Carvin has always eschewed planned obsolescence. That being said, like most manufacturers, the trend towards populating boards with chips using surface mount technology limits the repairability of their products both in terms of cost and practicability.

I have no opinion as to the relative manufacturing quality of Carvin products. For example, I don't know if they use cheesy resistors or high grade resistors.

Fortunately, there seems to be a majority of folks who report Carvin products last a long time. Since they are quite inexpensive to begin with, I would have less worry about buying them (in terms of possible subsequent repair/replacement).

All that being said, their sonics and behaviors are quite mundane.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:57 PM

I pretty much like my S600b for what it is. I also have a Bose L1 system. I like the simplicity and scalability of the S600. I can grab just the S600 for a party or add a couple of extensions for a full PA. It is pretty convenient to use the built in bluetooth adapter and also have the wireless mic receiver built in. I don't really like the sound of the S600 with full range music, but it is nowhere near as good as the Bose for full range music playback. The wireless mic audio is so so but I use it because it is so easy to just hand a singer a mic without running cables. The difference when you add extension cabinets is stunning. When you add one extension, it is supposed to quadruple the output and that's what it sounds like. When you add two more extensions it quadruples again and is just so much bigger sounding. Using the battery drops the output power significantly, but it still can be useful for outdoor picnics and things like that. I really like having a scalable system like this. I wish the mixer was on the right side instead of the back. It does bug me that I had to send it in for repair after just over two years. Hopefully it will be problem free after that.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 PM

What I meant to say was that I really like the S600b sound for guitar and vocals but I don't like it as much for full range music playback. I mis-typed.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Lkingston, I agree. I think the S600B needs the sub for full range music. For guitars and vocals, its fine. But, really it's designed for long throw. In small quarters, I found it less effective. I did a long review here one AGF. I might have kept it. But, the power supply issue seemed like a omen to return it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 08:55 PM

I tried them with my Bose sub and a Behringer crossover and quite liked the sound. With all four units there is a heck of a lot more low end then with just one or two. It goes acoustic bass low, but not driving kick sub low. No big deal for my main use of guitar and vocals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 08:32 AM

I have a Carvin bass cab and used to own one of their guitar amp heads, and have had no issues with either. That said, I understand it is difficult to impossible to get wiring diagrams and/or any unique parts from any other source, so local repairs may or may not be an option if you do ever need service. To me, that argues in favor of alternatives since, when considering mixers, speakers, and amps, it's usually possible to find an equivalent product at a similar price point from a manufacturer which offers a wider range of service options.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:07 PM

Default late to the party.. but I'll comment

As to the company, direct to customer does have the disadvantage of local repair issues as you have to cover shipping and the subsequent waiting. Prices may but a bit lower but one event would out-way the price.
My personal experience, bought a bass LB70P, within a month the fret edges started poking out on both sides of the fret board. I figured I'd wait incase something else went wrong before the year warranty expired. Finally after multiple trussrod adjustments both ways throughout the year, probably due to humidity, I sent it back for repair. 2 months later I got it back with a deep gouge in the body.
Called them back, they stated I could send it back or get a $50 credit for merchandise. Some months later after the steam had dissipated I called to order some misc. stuff and they wouldn't honor the incident.
I also have a bass amp bought new, PB200. A few years of ownership it developed some issues, don't quite remember now as it's been 10+ years but they marketed their pc boards as direct mount pots. As an electrician and hobbyist electronic tech, this is not a reliable method, say, verses mounting pots to a plate then running wires to the pc board. The reason being is some abuse is bound to occur which impacts the board directly. Unsoldering pots from a trace is potentially more problematic than removing a wire.
In my case, I resweated all solder points and the problem went away.
Still use the amp for 15 years now. The bass is the best sounding bass in my stable but I've decided not to buy Carvin stuff just the same.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM

I use a Carvin 2040 board for a house concerts and it's sturdy as a rock.

I want one of the Carvin headless Holdsworth (RIP) guitars; they're amazing.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
I want one of the Carvin headless Holdsworth (RIP) guitars; they're amazing.
Just a side note to your side note

Carvin split into two completely separate companies a couple of years ago; one part of the Kiesel family owns Carvin Audio and makes all the electronics. The fine guitars such as the Holdsworth (RIP indeed!) are made by the other side of the family, who have resurrected the original name of Kiesel Guitars. So when you order your HH axe, you will get the Kiesel logo (you may be able to special order a Carvin logo on models like the HH that predate the split, if you're nostalgic). Kiesel has been introducing new models and increasing finish options dramatically.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:05 PM

I was pleased with my AG300 while I owned it. It seemed well-constructed, the I/O options were great, and the sound quality was good. I got rid of it only because I decided to move to a mixing board/speaker cabinet setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification