The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Smile Nice McCollum

Congrats on the McCollum. Looks like a great guitar. I have always liked the sound of Lance's guitars. I looked to buy a Meghan over the years but did not find one (when I had the funds available) that spoke to me.

The top sure looks more like aged spruce to me, just judging by your posted photos. My Beneteau has cedar kerfing inside the guitar that makes the whole guitar smell like beautiful aromatic cedar when I open the case. Maybe take a look or smell inside your guitar.

Also, perhaps the midrange sound you are hearing has something to do with the dreadnought body shape. I don't own a dreadnought of modified dreadnought so perhaps someone with experience in that area can chime in.

Either way, it doesn't matter what wood the top is made of as long as you like the sound.

Cheers.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 04-08-2017, 05:10 AM
Musical minimalist

Well, I'm going to have to eat crow - I just dropped it at Elderly and my tech and I were pondering what the top was - he pulled out his mirror and the underside was the creamiest white I've ever seen - has to be very darkened Italian or Engelmann......absolutely blew me away - the tone, grain and the aroma wreaked Cedar.

Last edited by fitness1; 04-09-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:26 PM

Best "deal" I've seen in a while! Great guitar.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Well, I'm going to have to eat crow - I just dropped it at Elderly and my tech and I were pondering what the top was - he pulled out his mirror and the underside was the creamiest white I've ever seen - has to be very darkened Italian or Engelmann......absolutely blew me away - the tone, grain and the aroma wreaked Cedar.
Was the only actual crack the seam separation? I thought there were cracks by the inlays or are those finish only? Let's chat again when you get the guitar back. Letting a luthier loose on the Italian Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood I bought from Vy helped a TON.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Was the only actual crack the seam separation? I thought there were cracks by the inlays or are those finish only? Let's chat again when you get the guitar back. Letting a luthier loose on the Italian Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood I bought from Vy helped a TON.
Yes - the others were finish checks. This one is playing and looking it's best now with the exception of the unseated frets. There were about 10 of them. I did some major tweaks to the setup. Hope to have it back in about 10 days.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

I had a tough time not buying this one myself! My Ryan is Cedar over Mahogany and I love it!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 04-10-2017, 09:49 PM

I've got a very early McCollum, and the neck shape is slim. I really love the guitar, and Lance was a wonderful guy. .....enjoy!!!!

Svea
Old 04-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Musical minimalist

Success!

My tech called yesterday and I managed to rearrange my schedule and pick it up - wasn't expecting it for a few more days.

I spent the morning re-tweaking the setup - after the dress and level it was slightly different.

It's playing and sounding a great deal better up and down the neck - no dampening or dead frets.

Just a very, very pleasing guitar in all aspects. Glad I took the chance on this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop