The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Default String help please

2 newbish questions.

- Just picked up a 2006 Cordoba Custom Artist made in Spain. There is no truss rod. Is there a particular string tension I should use?

- My fingers are exceptionally dry. They make a lot of noise with even the slightest movement on the wound strings. Are there any that help negate this?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-11-2017, 07:58 PM

Hi there, first of all congrats on the guitar!

1) I'd go normal tension here

2) you could look for polished strings

Some reading material about squeaking:
http://www.douglasniedt.com/Tech_Tip...g_Squeaks.html

Alternatively you could email Cordoba about the string tension and Daddario for a string set recommendation. The latter has always helped me when needed and they don't take so long to answer you back.

Hope it helps and let us know how it goes!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Thank you very much for the info. Very informative read!

I am ordering some polished strings right now.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:38 AM

Strings are a subjective thing when it comes to nylon! After many years of trying different combinations, I prefer good ol' D'addario EJ45 (normal tension) or EJ46 (hard tension) strings on my Hill New World Player and Cordoba Master Series Torres. I always swap out the D'addario 3rd with a Savarez Alliance 3rd - seems to minimize the problematic "tubbiness" of a nylon 3rd string.

If you're a steel string player transitioning to nylon, you might prefer the feel of harder tension strings, but keep in mind the "harder" tension is usually in the bass strings only. To make things even more confusing, there's no tension uniformity among the various "nylon" string manufacturers.

As far as string squeak goes, it's all about technique. Steel string players have a tendency to slide fingers during changes and nylon strings are very unforgiving. Try to "lift" your fingers as much as possible for note/chord changes.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 AM

I may be mistaken, but I think Cordoba sells almost all of their guitars with High Tension Savarez strings.

I tried a lot of the D'Addario's and didn't get attached to them. Same for the high tension strings. The high tension was tough on the left hand when fretting barre chords.

My favorite right now are the normal tension Savarez Cantiga 510AR

As others have said, string preference is very personal. You just have to buy a few types and brands and figure out what you like.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-12-2017, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Unlike the steel string guitars, nylon stringed guitars (classical, Flamenco or Crossover) generally don't have truss rods, and for a reason. The tension from nylon strings, even hard tension versions, is so low compared to steel a truss rod isn't needed.

I once had a luthier tell me to not worry about classical guitar necks ever needing to be re-set from string tension. He said there just isn't enough tension to be concerned about.

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical