The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Default NGD COMPOSITE ACOUSTICS LEGACY

Just came through the door. Of course I gave it the appropriate 5 mins of acclimation time before opening the box. Wow, what a beauty. Fit and finish perfect. Action set up from the factory right on. Neck relief and nut depth also perfect. What I will need to get used to is that this is heavier than I thought it would be. Not a bad thing, was just expecting to be lighter. Now the body is slimmer than I expected for a dreadnaught. The depth at the bottom of the lower bought is not the depth of the rest of the body. This is a good thing for me and makes it quite comfortable to play on my lap. Playability overall is very good. I am not sure I like the Elixer strings that came strung with, they feel like mediums and I think they normally ship with lights? I may experiment with a few others. This guitar is loud with plenty of base and seems balanced throughout. It has more of a wood tone than other CF guitars I have played and I am enjoying it very much. And since I live on a boat, I no longer have to worry about climate control. What a peaceful feeling that is. Haven't plugged in yet with the Fishman Prefix Plus T, but will tonight.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Congrats! I love the sound of mine...how about that huge neck heel?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Congrats! I love the sound of mine...how about that huge neck heel?
There's a neck heel? BTW, what strings did you settle on?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:44 PM

Update. Ok I have changed the strings out daddario ej16's and have played for about 3 hours now. The strings are settling in and I am liking the tone more. It doesn't have the sound like my Martin, but definitely more of a wood tone than other CF guitars I have played. The tone is growing on me and I like the clarity and string seperation. Not muddy at all.Fingerpicking sounds great. Still getting used to the neck, but quickly adapting. Plugged in the sound is beautiful. So far very impressed. I tuned down a half step and no buzzing and sounds very good. Throw a capo on and I have a short scale. Overall, quality of craftsmanship and tone makes this a keeper.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Update. Ok I have changed the strings out daddario ej16's and have played for about 3 hours now. The strings are settling in and I am liking the tone more. It doesn't have the sound like my Martin, but definitely more of a wood tone than other CF guitars I have played. The tone is growing on me and I like the clarity and string seperation.
I had similar reservations about the Elixirs on the GX I recently bought, and like the guitar much better with D'Addario PB as well. I even tried EJ17s and thought the heavier strings were really able to drive the carbon fiber top for more punch, if that's your thing. I imagine the dread would really respond to the heavier gauge. Worth a $7 experiment, IMO, next time you're due for a changeover.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber