The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-02-2017, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Whoever is doing the photography for Emerald is doing a very professional job - the lighting is ideal to show the curves without unwanted glare. Great detail and a nice variety of angles and close ups/full length. While they do have "a formula" for the angles, it is obviously more than just plopping a guitar in place and clicking the shutter.

Ted is doing something very similar at LA Guitar Sales as far as the images on their site. Both understand and appreciate what a potential buyer wants to see.

The flash card that Emerald includes with the guitar is a very nice touch.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:11 AM

I take some pic's of my knives that go to Instagram, Facebook and my website. A knife doesn't have anywhere the amount of shiny area that almost any guitar does. So, I take my hat off to Emerald, LA Guitars and everyone else that puts out good photo's. It's not easy.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 06-18-2017, 08:23 AM

I love their pictures as well. Back to the X20 Opus-how is the finish of the back and sides? Is it gritty/textured or just matte?

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Don't mean to answer for the OP, but I would say the crystal ice finish is more gritty and textured than a matte. I thought that crystal ice was a very accurate description when i first saw it. I really like gloss finishes, but the ice finish tends to grow on you. A bit different and attractive in it's own way.
You can kinda see the difference here...
[IMG]x20 001 by jdinco, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 06-18-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Don't mean to answer for the OP, but I would say the crystal ice finish is more gritty and textured than a matte. I thought that crystal ice was a very accurate description when i first saw it. I really like gloss finishes, but the ice finish tends to grow on you. A bit different and attractive in it's own way.
My X7 has the crystal ice finish (back & sides) and matte (sanded) on the back of the neck.
My X20 is all gloss finish with the back of the neck matte (sanded).
I like the neck's matte finish on both guitars, and I prefer the crystal ice finish on my X7 better then the all gloss finish of my X20.
I noticed a rubbing noise from the gloss finish of the X20 when it rubs on my denim jeans when playing while sitting.
I use to have an acoustic guitar with a gloss neck and would get the same type of rubbing noise from my hand movement on the back of the neck. Applying Talcum powder on my hand would stop the gloss neck rubbing noise.

I'm not sure what to do about the X20 and denim jean rubbing noise ?
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 06-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Default X20 crystal ice finish

Hi, OP here. Sorry I haven't posted since I got my X20 Opus. Looking back at my purchase of the X20 Opus, and realizing that I could have chosen from dozens of CF guitars (never had a CF before this) if I could change my decision to get the Opus - I would not. This guitar is "the bomb". The transition around the edges from glossy to crystal ice is smooth and natural. The crystal ice finish does not interact with my arms or knee as would an all gloss finish. The crystal ice seems relatively impervious to scratches. I lowered the action on the guitar by shaving down the saddle a bit and tweaking the truss rod just to the point of having no buzz for fingerstyle. It is a lot of fun to play and it sounds great.

And not least of all I love being able to leave the guitar out 24x7 in my humid South Florida condo!

Happy Fathers Day to all you daddies out there in AGF land.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

A great big ol' to you Steve-arino! I really like the look and feel of the crystal ice finish on my X7; if anything, it helps it sit on my leg when playing seated.

Your guitar is lovely... those X20s are very impressive instruments! Obviously, considering you haven't been able to put it down for several months, to give us an update!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 PM

Congratulations on your new x20!
I want one!
Old 07-01-2017, 01:46 PM

Congrats! I'll be receiving mine in a week! Hopefully I enjoy it as much as you... It'll be my first carbon fiber guitar as well so I'm a bit nervous but excited too haha
Old 07-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the x20. Mine is the 2017 stock opus x20 with one of their pick-ups forgot which one.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 07-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

My playing goes 25% Martin om-28e 75% x20. Love em both.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber