The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-08-2017, 03:25 PM

Default Yamaha NTX700 help

I did a search for other threads about the NTX but came up with nothing substantial so maybe I can start one here! I've been wanting a guitar that is super easy to play because as the summer approaches I will often play for 4+ hours a day as my work hours reduce in the summer and I have more free time. I like the idea of the slimmer neck and electronics while still having that nylon string tone. Can anyone chime in on how this guitar will compare to other more traditional nylon string guitars and also the tonal difference in the NTX700c and NTX700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Cocobologist

I own a NTX700 (it does have a cutaway - does that make it a 'c' version?). My $0.02 on it...:

Great little stage guitar. Pickup is outstanding -- very versatile and natural sounding. The separate volume controls for bass (steel wrapped) and treble (nylon) strings allows for wonderful balance of tone. EQ is very functional, and built in tuner works well. I really like the plugged in tone. Included a rubber soundhole plug to minimize feedback at high stage volume when I bought it new, but have never used it.

Playability is easy, neck is very comfortable. Thin body does impact acoustic tone -- It is not as rich and full as a regular classical, but I wouldn't expect it to be.

Overall, I think the NTX700 is a solid value for the price. Keep in mind that it doesn't come with any case or gigbag. I picked up a Musician's Friend bag that works well with the guitar.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 03-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I think the "C" is for cedar. I haven't played the NTX700C, but have played the others and own the predecessor APX5NA.

The major difference in the two, is NTX line has different pickups which are nice sounding.

I posted some thoughts on my impressions on the APX and NTX. They are comfortable to play and the acoustic tone is pretty good. I find their volume slightly muted, but not very compressed for a shallower body depth. I guess that's an adequate explanation they have a nice tonal spectrum but not as much perceived volume. They have really good sustain. I find these hybrid guitars are voiced more closely to steel string than more classically influenced hybrids. I prefer wound G strings, which add to my ability to play more steel-string oriented music.

Now the caveat; the neck. IMHO, and some others, Yamaha did a weird thing applying the hybrid concept to the neck. It seems they approached this from the 1 11/16" steel string player and applied a narrow string spacing to a wide neck. The nut width is 48mm, but their string spacing is slightly narrower than would work for this width. So, this leaves excessive space between the outer fretboard and the E strings. Also, the string spacing is a little tight; it is more comfortable relaxed. I got used to it easily, but having the awareness to correct it, I replaced the nut with a wider string spacing. The results were very good; it's plays much better.

All said, I owned a Taylor NS42ce and own a Cordoba Orchestra, and really like the Yamaha. If I replace it, it'll be for the APX9NA or NTX1200 for the upgraded pickup.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:24 AM

In my humble opinion "muted" is an understatement for the NTx700 series.

when I was shopping for a nylon string guitar. Every single Yamaha NTx700that I tried at various guitar stores sounded like there was a sock stuffed inside the guitar... New strings didn't seem to help them at all. They sounded great when plugged in...But I rarely plug my guitars into amps

I settled on the Cordoba GK series... Started with the GK Studio and eventually upgraded to the Pro series.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
In my humble opinion "muted" is an understatement for the NTx700 series.

when I was shopping for a nylon string guitar. Every single Yamaha NTx700that I tried at various guitar stores sounded like there was a sock stuffed inside the guitar... New strings didn't seem to help them at all. They sounded great when plugged in...But I rarely plug my guitars into amps

I settled on the Cordoba GK series... Started with the GK Studio and eventually upgraded to the Pro series.
Ditto. I love Yamaha products (and own many -- from solid body guitars, to PA gear, to my motorcycle)... and I really wanted to like the NTX series, but they just never stacked-up acoustically to Cordobas in my opinion. In fact, the day I bought my first Cordoba, I was in the Guitar Center (south of the Vegas Strip) expecting to try and buy the NTX700. Once I picked-up the Cordoba (GK Studio blanca) it was over. I kept rotating through those two guitars and a couple of others, and always came back to the Cordoba. The NTX just seemed dead, dull, and lifeless to me. Maybe it was just a dud... but I've played a few more and the experience was the same. That first comparison was 11 Cordoba instruments ago for me.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:41 AM

The NTX guitars are excellent amplified and swapping out the nut as previously stated, improves playability. My NTX1200R has had a lot of use for 3 years now, and still looks and sounds as it did new.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:14 PM

I agree that they sound great plugged in. My complaint is that they sound dead when played without an amplifier. Since I play primarily unplugged, it was a deal breaker for me.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-13-2017, 05:05 PM

I have an NTX700. They are great guitars for amplified playing as the electronics are quite good. They are comfortable and easy to play. I sometimes wish I opted for the C model. The c model is a better acoustic version since it is the same depth as a regular classical guitar. The regular NTX 700 has a thin body. Very comfortable and sounds okay for couch playing but does not have the same dynamic tone of the deep body nylon string. I play mostly acoustically and would be better served with a traditionally styled classical but I haven't been able to talk myself into trading the NTX.

Last edited by gmr; 03-13-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
I sometimes wish I opted for the C model. The c model is a better acoustic version since it is the same depth as a regular classical guitar. The regular NTX 700 has a thin body. Very comfortable and sounds okay for couch playing but does not have the same dynamic tone of the deep body nylon string. I play mostly acoustically and would be better served with a traditionally styled classical but I haven't been able to talk myself into trading the NTX.
You may have the NCX mixed the NTX. All NTX series have the shallow body depth. The c on the NTX700C designates a solid cedar top.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
You may have the NCX mixed the NTX. All NTX series have the shallow body depth. The c on the NTX700C designates a solid cedar top.
Exactly. I think that the NTX guitars are overbuilt, so they don't have an explosive response and volume like the Cordobas, which tend to be lightly built.

I had three Cordobas from the Espana series, which are all very thin-bodied... and all three were very lively and not dull. My sweet spot is the Luthier series, which are thicker than the Espanas, but thinner than full-thickness bodies from Cordoba, Yamaha, and other manufacturers. They're probably very comparable to the Yamaha NTX series in body thickness, but are far more responsive and lively.

I also love the higher-end Fishman electronics in the Espana and Luthier series. They sound great both plugged-in and unplugged. Which is why I've owned so many.

Last edited by Red_Label; 03-13-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

FWIW- I'd like to chime in again and add some more observations regarding the classification of these Hybrid type instruments.

The NTX, as compared to the Cordobas and other guitars mentioned, is a different animal; similar to my former Taylor NS42ce. While these guitars have a lot of common components, their differences are significant enough to warrant a separate classification.

Guitar makers approach builds with a spectrum ranging from pure acoustic on end, to plugged-in/stage on the other. A pure acoustic will be lighter and much more responsive. An A/E guitar designed for stage/amplification will be heavier built and less responsive acoustically compared to a lightly built acoustic focused guitar. One reason is that it doesn't need to be as responsive because the pickup will carry most of the tone. In addition, increased body resonance may not work as well because of feedback and other pickup issues sensitive to body resonance. All A/E guitars fall somewhere in between the extremes; some acoustic biased and others more stage biased.

Hybrid nylon string guitars add another comparative dimension. Some are more Classical guitar influenced, others, like the NTX, are not so much. Classical Hybrid guitars mentioned, including my Cordoba Orchestra, are to varying degrees more acoustic focused and sound/voiced much closer to traditional Classical guitars. Hybrid Nylon String guitars, such as the NTX and Taylor NS are not voiced as closely to Classical. I classify their tone as more contemporary. The NTX and Taylor NS is biased more to plugged in or amplification. Even plugged in, the different types will have tonal biases. On stage, I will use my Cordoba for more Classical music and the NTX for Jazz and Contemporary Fingerstyle music.

Both types have their best or ideal uses, it just depends on the musician's musical need and desired results.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical