The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-27-2015, 10:05 PM

Default Adjusting the truss rod on an Emerald

I've recently bought an X-7, and although the action is pretty low, there is a slight amount of relief in the neck that I'd like to straighten. I've turned the truss rod twice - a quarter-turn each time - but so far there doesn't seem to be any difference. Do carbon fibre necks need a greater turn on the truss rod than wooden necks?
Old 06-28-2015, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've recently bought an X-7, and although the action is pretty low, there is a slight amount of relief in the neck that I'd like to straighten. I've turned the truss rod twice - a quarter-turn each time - but so far there doesn't seem to be any difference. Do carbon fibre necks need a greater turn on the truss rod than wooden necks?
A good question for Alistair of Emerald. You can email him from his site.

He sometimes reads AGF but has recently made it known that it's been a very good year and he is overflowing with orders to finish--so maybe a direct email is better than chancing he'll read the forum.

He uses double action truss rods so I "think" that turning to the right will cause backbow and turning to left increases bowing (increased relief). There was a thread about truss rods on AGF in the past where someone mentioned that some brands of truss rods turned the opposite direction of others--so they warned to be sure you knew your truss rod's design.

Does the turning direction I mentioned seem right or have I reversed this in my head?
Old 06-28-2015, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

There is the possibility that with a double-action truss-rod, if that is the case, there can be a certain amount of play (slack) at first when adjusting in the opposite direction to that previously done. how easy was it to turn?

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-28-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
A good question for Alistair of Emerald. You can email him from his site.

He sometimes reads AGF but has recently made it known that it's been a very good year and he is overflowing with orders to finish--so maybe a direct email is better than chancing he'll read the forum.

He uses double action truss rods so I "think" that turning to the right will cause backbow and turning to left increases bowing (increased relief). There was a thread about truss rods on AGF in the past where someone mentioned that some brands of truss rods turned the opposite direction of others--so they warned to be sure you knew your truss rod's design.

Does the turning direction I mentioned seem right or have I reversed this in my head?
Yes, it does. I used the same principle you mention - turning right, or clockwise, to tighten the rod. I never heard of a builder who constructed them the other way round - that's worth knowing!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
There is the possibility that with a double-action truss-rod, if that is the case, there can be a certain amount of play (slack) at first when adjusting in the opposite direction to that previously done. how easy was it to turn?
Again, an interesting reply. The resistance when I turned was pretty much what I expected, but if this slack you mention has been built into the rod, this would explain the lack of effect. Another thought is that the change may take longer to happen. I remember one tech telling me I should observe changes in relief over days rather than minutes or even hours. Perhaps the added resilience of the neck makes for longer periods of transition.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
......The resistance when I turned was pretty much what I expected.....
Doesn't sound as though it is this then in your case. This happened on one of my guitars at the very first adjustment and was very noticeable, very little resistance till the play was taken up.

Quote:
...... Another thought is that the change may take longer to happen.....
Yes, sound like this is most likely...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I've found the truss rod on m X-20 does not do a whole lot. Certainly not like on my wooden guitars.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, it does. I used the same principle you mention - turning right, or clockwise, to tighten the rod. I never heard of a builder who constructed them the other way round - that's worth knowing!
Mule Guitars use a backwards-thread truss rod, and mine came completely unadjusted. It was a bit of a rough learning curve. I believe he has now updated his instructions. First time I'd ever come across this, but I was told there are others.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 06-29-2015, 03:42 PM

Turning clockwise is the right way to straighten the neck. Its hard to say how much you should adjust it as it depends on where the truss rod is currently at.
You may need to give it a little more pressure. You should notice a difference in the action straight away. Our current truss rod setup is very effective and responsive.
If you have any further issues with it then just drop me an email at [email protected]
Alistair
Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Turning clockwise is the right way to straighten the neck. Its hard to say how much you should adjust it as it depends on where the truss rod is currently at.
You may need to give it a little more pressure. You should notice a difference in the action straight away. Our current truss rod setup is very effective and responsive.
If you have any further issues with it then just drop me an email at [email protected]
Alistair
Thanks for the reply, Alistair. I've given the guitar two quarter turns so far. It may need one more to get the perfectly straight neck I prefer. I think it may have moved fractionally already but if so, very slightly.

It's a lovely guitar, by the way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber