The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-18-2015, 05:42 AM

Default CF neck finishes

I posted this on the MacNichol forum, but thought I'd cast a wider net and ask here too...

Just thought I'd ask about experiences with CF necks.

AS I posted in another thread, I've ordered an X20 from Emerald, and am closing in on the specs. I asked Alistair about neck finishes, as I have a strong preference for a satin finish on wooden guitars. I find a gloss finish "sticky", and I'm not even a sweater!

He has offered a "sanded and waxed" finish to the back of the neck, which sounds appealing. Apparently it doesn't really require re-waxing, but clear car wax can be used to ensure it stays slick.

Has anyone any thoughts or relevant experience?

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 06-18-2015, 06:16 AM

I'm with you on the satin neck feel. My RainSong has a full gloss finish and I have been using an PTFE marine wax. Feels fantastic and you won't stick to it. You can even coat the whole guitar. Most quality car waxes like Meguires should do the trick.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:01 AM

Thanks Sean, perhaps I should just get the standard gloss and see how it plays - and try a quality wax over that (as you do) if I need it a little slicker.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 06-25-2015, 01:54 PM

I ordered several Emerald guitars from MacNichol about a year ago and asked for a satin finish on the neck. At the time Michael was not sure but Alistar came through. There was no up-charge and the satin finish feels great. I am very happy with the decision.
Kevin
Old 06-25-2015, 02:51 PM

Thanks Kevin, I've been emailing with Alistair, and I'm guessing this description of what he does results in the "satin" finish.

"We sand with 600 grit and then lightly polish it. We wax it to bring out some sheen but it's not something that needs to be redone. It's maintenance free and feels good."

Anyway, I've opted for it!

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber