The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-17-2015, 08:51 AM

So my next approach to this for those who come after:
Listen to a variety of samples of a guitar you know you like (e.g. my taylor 310).

Truth is recording effort makes a massive difference. Find recordings that look like they were done in similar settings - bedroom, crap equipment, etc. Then listen to that and then listen to more pro review recordings.

The bedroom recordings leave a LOT to be desired, and even mid-level ones will radically change what you hear.

which makes choosing harder, but if you can record a 310 to sound like crap and sound amazing, chances are you can do the same with one of these other guitars.

I do wish guitar world or some other publication would grab some emeralds and do them justice. Or emerald should just pay a bit to get some pro recordings done of different styles that they think really represent an honest approximation of the tone.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
So my next approach to this for those who come after:
Listen to a variety of samples of a guitar you know you like (e.g. my taylor 310).

Truth is recording effort makes a massive difference. Find recordings that look like they were done in similar settings - bedroom, crap equipment, etc. Then listen to that and then listen to more pro review recordings.

The bedroom recordings leave a LOT to be desired, and even mid-level ones will radically change what you hear.

which makes choosing harder, but if you can record a 310 to sound like crap and sound amazing, chances are you can do the same with one of these other guitars.

I do wish guitar world or some other publication would grab some emeralds and do them justice. Or emerald should just pay a bit to get some pro recordings done of different styles that they think really represent an honest approximation of the tone.
There were several side-by-side comparisons with Emeralds, CA and others over at the Carbon Fiber Forum which still exists. Different people would pickup each guitar in series and play the same piece one after the other with pause only to set down and pick up the next guitar.

For me, those were useful because even if the recordings are not 100% at professional levels--ALL the guitars are being played and recorded under the exact same conditions and by the same player. You get a pretty good idea of what each should sound like and which matches the sound you would like play yourself.

There are some like this on the AGF site also, but I don't recall if any of them include Emeralds as there they do on the other site. I know there are several over there.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post

I do wish guitar world or some other publication would grab some emeralds and do them justice.
Well, maybe Acoustic Guitar. Guitar World is notoriously bad at reviewing acoustic guitars. Not only do they only review what can be bought in a GC, but they ALWAYS review acoustic/electrics with them plugged in. This gives us about as good of an idea as if we were trying to assess the sound of a great stereo from another room while still wrapped in a box! Why they do this when we all know that piezoelectric systems sound exactly the same is beyond me. Demos must be mic'd in order to get a better idea of how a given acoustic should sound.

There are, of course, exceptions to this madness. Shoreline Music, for example, review all their guitars with outstanding quality but don't deal in carbon fiber. Dream Guitars has reviewed some RainSongs and CA guitars but not any Emeralds that I'm aware of. LA Guitars has done some good CF reviews as well.

Anyone visited Breedlove's website? They have recorded every guitar they sell in a controlled environment and with quality gear. A listen with a great set of headphones will leave the listener with a great idea of a given guitar's voice and hear the a/b comparisons. Why aren't more manufacturers doing this with their websites is beyond me- especially in an ever emergent internet market where many guitars are purchased sight unseen...or, heard!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber