The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Default Normal or Hard tension strings

Hello, which one of these (and which brand) should I choose and why? Thanks. Didn't know I would like a classical guitar this much.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:15 PM

High tension for practice, once you build up good technique, you can consider lower tension strings for performance.

Higher tension strings aren't necessarily more difficult to play, they are simply generally louder and more "even" sounding, even if you have bad technique (right hand and left)

Lower tension strings will allow for more dynamics and expression, but until you have your right hand under control, you might be saying "where did my tone go!"

It is true that some well made and older instruments may have a very thin solid wood top, and hard tension strings are not reccomended. Just about anything in the student range of prices will take higher tension strings just fine.

I use savarez, and I have for about 15 years. Big fan. (I currently use alliance high tension, white and blue label)

I've ben playing nylon string guitars for about 17 years, but I only took true classical lessons for about 5. I stick with hard tension because I'm bad at keeping my nails in good shape, and I do mostly jazz and bossa stuff on them now, which needs more consistent volumeas I'm not playing them in polite concert halls solo!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-19-2010, 04:26 PM

hi
like it said here, depends in your technique and instrument. but in a average,
classical guitar players likes more normal tension, perform a Bach sonata,
demands a lot of effort, so hard tension means more work.
i use hard tension in a new guitar or in my small instrument(64 mm)
in a new guitar with the hard tension the top can open sooner.
Eblen Macari

Last edited by Kabalan; 07-19-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM

For a long time D'Addario had the most consistant strings, so i've only ever used those and the extra hard tension (J44) for several reasons. Provided your guitar's string height is not so low as to reduce the strings vibrations, the higher tension strings will allow you to transfer more energy into the soundboard (play harder), causing it to produce a richer, louder sound. Lower tensions strings will tend to produce a "splat" sound when you try to increase the volume, much the same way they do if you lower the tuning a half step or more. The scale length and fret size are as much or more of a factor as the string tension in ease of playing.
'94 Gibson Gospel
Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM

On the classical guitars I've owned, that have had higher actions and no truss rods, I've typically used normal tension. On crossovers like the Taylor NS, the Takamine TC135SC and the Godin ACS SA, which all have lower actions and truss rods, I've used hard or extra hard tension strings almost exclusively.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical