The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-20-2014, 07:10 AM

i tried getting both the h2 and h2n working with reaper on my win8 laptop. i updated the software for both recorders, as well as the asio driver.

i was able to get both connected and use either one, but not both at the same time. i also tried using asio4all, which saw both devices, but i couldn't use both in reaper.

i'll try some simpe recordings using them stand alone, then combining them.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i tried getting both the h2 and h2n working with reaper on my win8 laptop. i updated the software for both recorders, as well as the asio driver.

i was able to get both connected and use either one, but not both at the same time. i also tried using asio4all, which saw both devices, but i couldn't use both in reaper.

i'll try some simpe recordings using them stand alone, then combining them.
I'll bet this simultaneous use could work on a Mac. Macs have the capability to designate an "aggregate device" from multiple input sources. For most DAWS, selecting the "aggregate device" as the input source makes all of the devices in the aggregate available at the same time.

Just a thought...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I'll bet this simultaneous use could work on a Mac. Macs have the capability to designate an "aggregate device" from multiple input sources. For most DAWS, selecting the "aggregate device" as the input source makes all of the devices in the aggregate available at the same time.

Just a thought...

Phil
thanks. unfortunately that won't help me, but it might help someone else.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:59 AM

I would be interested to know if can sense an audio quality difference betweet the H4 and the H4n?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 10-23-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
I would be interested to know if can sense an audio quality difference betweet the H4 and the H4n?
i have an h2 and an h2n. i have done a couple of test reocrdings, and the recording levels on the h2 are much lower than the h2n. when i boost the h2 volume it may be a bit noisier than the h2n side.

but i think it might be worth spending some more time trying to get the two to work. i was hearing some weird pops and other digitally sounds (not sure from where, but internally from i think the h2), but the stereo width seemed promising.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 AM

i stuck the zoom h2 and h2n on my table, about 12" from the guitar and about 24" apart. i picked the louder channel from each and combined them, with one panned hard left and the other hard right. i'm definitely getting a wider stereo image.

anyway, here is a sample:
https://app.box.com/s/e4w3er1q8q5w8it967q6

and after i added some minor eq and reverb:
https://app.box.com/s/4s0jxl0csbsfqinexb00
Old 10-29-2014, 10:52 AM

one more update, as i did another recording this morning which i think sounded pretty good and gave some nice stereo separation. i'll post a video in show and tell but i figured i should make a final mention in this thread.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

mc1, the phase correlation on those tracks was all over the place with a lot of it in the negative correlation zone. That makes the perceived location of the guitar unfocused and erratic. I phase inverted one channel and it did not help. Perhaps try combining different channels - louder and quieter one (you can bring up the volume of the quieter one in the DAW).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-29-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
mc1, the phase correlation on those tracks was all over the place with a lot of it in the negative correlation zone. That makes the perceived location of the guitar unfocused and erratic. I phase inverted one channel and it did not help. Perhaps try combining different channels - louder and quieter one (you can bring up the volume of the quieter one in the DAW).
would you go as far as spooky?

thanks for your comments. funny how i didn't mind the erratic-ness of it. i may play around with it some more, and better do some research on phase correlation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD