The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Setting gain on audio interface?

I'm a little confused about the role of the gain knobs versus the role of the level adjustment in the DAW (Reaper). If I adjust the gain higher on the interface, with the recording level left the same, I also get an increase in volume. The level adjustment does the same thing if I leave the gain in the same position.

So can someone tell me how to set the gain on the interface and the recording level on the DAW to get optimal recording tone and the proper level so that recordings don't come out too quiet?

My recording area is crap, but that will be remedied in the coming months. In the meantime, my recordings are coming out muddy. I think my gain may be too high. But when I lower the gain, I don't seam to be getting enough volume?

Todd
Old 10-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hi!

Both adjust volume, but each for a different device. Set the interface first. The interface gain control adjusts the signal level coming into the interface. Typically the interface will have either a meter or a clip light to help you adjust. You want to adjust until the clip light rarely lights. The level control on your DAW adjusts the level going into your DAW from the interface. With the DAW you want to adjust until the signal never distorts. It is that simple. If you've got a clip light, use it. If you've got a peak meter, keep the indication away from the very top of the meter.

There you go.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 AM

It's important to understand gain staging for whatever system you are using to record.

Adjust the gain at your audio interface, but monitor the actual level in your DAW, making sure your input gain and level (as well as metering levels) are set for 0 DB so you don't introduce additional software controlled gain within your DAW.

Ideally anything that doesn't surpass 0 DB (with the introduction of irreversable digital distortion, i.e. clipping) is OK, but it's much better to record with a margin for error. If you're recording 16 bit audio then -3 DB is often the recommended maximum input level.

Recording at 24 bit will give you a lot more wiggle room, so 10 DB (or more) input level buffering is fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD