The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-08-2014, 05:02 AM

Default Medium Priced Mic Recommendations

I hesitate to ask here but ...

I'm looking to upgrade my home recording mics.

My vocal mic is a Rode NT2. This is an OK mic and very good for voice/speech recording but I'm not so sure for vocals.

My voice is quite strong and rich and certainly doesn't need any extra help in the mids if anything a little more top would be helpful. For this reason I have been a bit wary of valve mics in the past.

Any suggestions for a mid range model?

Also, small condensers for guitar recording. I've been thinking about upgrading to Rode NT55 (or that Russian company whose name I have forgotten). In bad moments I think about a stereo pair of Neumann K184s! Is the difference over say the Rode worth it?

Sensible suggestions please. I'm only looking to narrow down the search to help with audition suggestions!
Old 10-08-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
I hesitate to ask here but ...

I'm looking to upgrade my home recording mics.

My vocal mic is a Rode NT2. This is an OK mic and very good for voice/speech recording but I'm not so sure for vocals.

My voice is quite strong and rich and certainly doesn't need any extra help in the mids if anything a little more top would be helpful. For this reason I have been a bit wary of valve mics in the past.

Any suggestions for a mid range model?

Also, small condensers for guitar recording. I've been thinking about upgrading to Rode NT55 (or that Russian company whose name I have forgotten). In bad moments I think about a stereo pair of Neumann K184s! Is the difference over say the Rode worth it?

Sensible suggestions please. I'm only looking to narrow down the search to help with audition suggestions!

What budget ?

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 10-08-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsFromMars View Post
What budget ?
About £1,000 for both — I am in the UK.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:01 AM

I am just putting this out here; I recently bought a pair of MXL67V mics. The sound on these is simply unbelievable at $90 each. I can place them 2 feet away from me and the sound is completely natural and uncolored, and very low noise. Here is a recording I made with them. No equalization at all, just added reverb.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-08-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
I am just putting this out here; I recently bought a pair of MXL67V mics. The sound on these is simply unbelievable at $90 each. I can place them 2 feet away from me and the sound is completely natural and uncolored, and very low noise. Here is a recording I made with them. No equalization at all, just added reverb.
I enjoyed that! The voice certainly sounds good!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
In bad moments I think about a stereo pair of Neumann K184s! Is the difference over say the Rode worth it?
If you're looking to upgrade your NT2 as well, I'd probably avoid the 184s as thats your budget pretty much used up. There tends to be a bit of a gap between price ranges with these sort of things, you have a lot to choose from up to a few hundred quid, then it jumps up to the 1000+ mark with not a massive amount in between.

May be worth checking out some of the range of SE electronics stuff (for both your LDC and SDC) I've used pairs of SE1as on acoustic guitars quite a few times and always quite liked the results, theres a newer version out now as well (SE5a?). Quite a lot of their stuff it fairly strong top end-wise, which may suit your voice from what you've said.

There will be quite a lot on offer from all the other usual suspects as well (AKG, Shure, Beyerdynamic etc)
Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 AM

For small diaphragm condensers I would suggest trying the Beyer MC930 which you can get as a stereo pair with shockmounts. They have built in pads and high pass filters which can be handy. In my opinion these are very nice and detailed but not too bright.

Opinions vary but many people find the KM184 to be overly bright and not the best value for the money. If you're in that range you might want to try the Gefell M300 and maybe the Lauten Torch or others.

I hesitate to be specific about vocal mics because it really is about matching the mic up to the voice. I will say that I like the darker Blue large diaphragm condensors (I have a Baby Bottle and several Bottle Rockets with various capsules, but the B7 or B6 would be the most obvious choices for male vocals). The Shure KSM 44 is a pretty good mic, and on some voices AKG C414 work well (but there are different versions of that one).

I have a KEL HM2D which I like but if you don't want a lot of mids it might not be the one for you. Still, if there is one around you might want to try it... there are mids, and then there are mids.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

If you're not recording guitar and vocals at the same time you could consider a mic with interchangeable capsules. I bought a pair of used 3 Zigma CHI mics with cardioid capsules. They offer several small diameter capsules as well as 4 different large diameter lollipop capsules. sdelsolray may still have some used lollipop capsules for sale.

You could also consider the ADK A6, which is a medium diameter condenser. Very nice for guitar and may work for vocals.

You mention a 'Russian made mic'. I assume you are considering the Oktava MK-012. They are also available with upgrade modifications from Joly or Dorsey. They also use interchangeable capsules, but I don't know what they have tailored to vocal use.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-08-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If you're not recording guitar and vocals at the same time you could consider a mic with interchangeable capsules. I bought a pair of used 3 Zigma CHI mics with cardioid capsules. They offer several small diameter capsules as well as 4 different large diameter lollipop capsules. sdelsolray may still have some used lollipop capsules for sale.

You could also consider the ADK A6, which is a medium diameter condenser. Very nice for guitar and may work for vocals.

You mention a 'Russian made mic'. I assume you are considering the Oktava MK-012. They are also available with upgrade modifications from Joly or Dorsey. They also use interchangeable capsules, but I don't know what they have tailored to vocal use.
I tend to record guitar and vocals separately.

I was thinking about the Oktava mics. These are reasonably priced although the modifications you mentioned tend to put them in the KM184 range, especially when bought internationally.

At the moment I use a pair of AKG C1000's which were really bought for live work — sometime I borrow Rode NT5s when I can. My main recording space had horrible sound until I slapped a lot of acoustic treatment tiles on it. I sometimes think I deadened the top end a little by doing this but this is more than likely a feature of the mics.

It would be nice to get some better quality on board. I'm really thinking about an affordable life I guess but then can't help thinking a lifetime investment might be worth considering.

I certainly don't want to develop an obsession about it!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
I have a KEL HM2D which I like but if you don't want a lot of mids it might not be the one for you. Still, if there is one around you might want to try it... there are mids, and then there are mids.
There certainly are mids and mids ....

I appreciate the only way to rally tackle this is to use demo mics in my recording room, but your suggestions are helping me narrow the field down a bit!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Many Mic's Will Do The Job, but......

Aloha Andy,

Many excellent mic's can be applied to your/our relatively simple acoustic applications. But the thing to remember is that you MUST try out vocal mic's - before ya buy - & go with the one that your voice likes. One mic doesn't work for all voices. Auditioning is very important for mic's of any kind, especially as you move up the trough a bit into better mic's.

So Andy, your budget for a vocal AND a guitar recording mic is more of an entry-level budget, IMO. The excellent mic's ombudsman suggested are more mid-range in price ($750+/mic). With that in mind, for the most bang for the buck staying within your budget, I'd get a pair of Oktava MK-012 SDC's or a pair of ADK A6's MDC's (medium diaphram condensers) for recording acoustic guitar in stereo - for a more complete sound.

Although slightly different, these models are actually both excellent entry-level to mid-range condenser mic's (under $500) that perform much better than the price suggests (or any of the Rode SDC's, IMO, which are typically hyped in the upper mid & high frequency ranges) & also will sound & behave better than many more expensive mic's.

I've owned both pairs over the years & surprisingly, IMO, the Michael Joly-modded MK-012's & A6's both sound slightly better for recording (easier to EQ too) than the great-but-very bright sounding Neumann KM184 (or any of the Rode SDC's) to my ears - more natural, open sounding & less hyped. I actually like the Neumann KM184 as a live performing condenser mic & it's predecessor - the legendary, no longer made KM-84 - for recording. You should be able to find pairs of both MK-012's & A6's for around or under $500.

Now, if I were looking for an upgrade to a great vocal recording LDC that works on many types of voices, sounds fantastic on singing vocals, voice AND acoustic guitar, & won't break the bank, I'd look for a used Mojave MA-200 tube LDC. Detailed, balanced, decent off-axis, warm-yet-open sounding vocals, clear, quiet & works on many male & female voices - a rarity, IMO. By far, it's the best vocal mic I've auditioned in its price range on my voice & I've auditioned just about all of them over the decades.

I've owned two pairs of MA-200's (bought used @ $600-700/mic) & my voice has always worked very well on that tube LDC for recording. Very easy to work, EQ, & to place where you want it in a mix, the MA-200 just has that tube mojo that I like. Singing through it is effortless. With a strong voice like yours, Andy, the MA-200 might just be the ticket.

And I especially love it for strumming tracks on my guitars (even preferred it over some vintage U87's I had for years for that application). The MA-200 hasn't really been around for that long & there are always used ones in decent condition available at sites like Gearslutz classifieds. But try to audition one first to see if the MA-200 is the right recording LDC for your voice, Andy.

Check out the sound samples at the Mojave site:

http://www.mojaveaudio.com/MA-200.html

If you wanted to save money, ya could start out with just one used MA-200 & use it on both your vocals & guitar (not in stereo though). Add another one later for that & use one as your primary vocal LDC. You wouldn't want to move up for a long time if ever with the MA-200, Andy, as you would with the MXL's previously suggested, even the higher models.

If you got a pair of either the MK-012's or A6's for recording guitar, & an MA-200 for your vocals you would definitely hear a qualitative difference in your recordings over what you've been using. This would be especially true if the other parts of your recording chain (like your interface, mic preamps, monitors, etc.) are of similar quality & NOT entry level & that your space is well-treated (the key to maximizing ANY mic's or gear).

Good luck in your search, Andy.

alohachris

PS: If you run into more money & want some truly great guitar SDC's, look at the Microtech-Gefell M295 ($1500/pc.) or a Schoeps CMC641 hypercardioid ($1900/pc.). FWIW, they're the best SDC's I've ever heard for my guitar recordings. My primary vocal recording LDC is a Microtech-Gefell UM-900 variable pattern tube LDC -alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 10-08-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Andy,

Many excellent mic's can be applied to your/our relatively simple acoustic applications. But the thing to remember is that you MUST try out vocal mic's - before ya buy - & go with the one that your voice likes. One mic doesn't work for all voices. Auditioning is very important for mic's of any kind, especially as you move up the trough a bit into better mic's.
Chris, thank you! You have given me a lot to think about!
Old 10-09-2014, 05:48 AM

Andy, earwighoney from the acoustic soundboard here.

FWIW, I recommend hiring some microphones from Richmond Film Services. They have a decent selection and it'd be a way to 'audition' some microphones suit certain voices/guitars/playing styles more than others.

When it comes to microphones themselves, I really like the Audio Technica 40xx series for LDC's and SDC's. The 4033a LDC often goes for decent prices s/h too.

I recorded the track beneath in my bedroom with a 4033 LDC and a 4051 SDC in M/S, no reverb, eq etc and was really pleased with the sound (not the best guitar too!)
https://soundcloud.com/earwighoney/sea

Last edited by ewh2; 10-09-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
For small diaphragm condensers I would suggest trying the Beyer MC930 which you can get as a stereo pair with shockmounts. They have built in pads and high pass filters which can be handy. In my opinion these are very nice and detailed but not too bright.

Opinions vary but many people find the KM184 to be overly bright and not the best value for the money. If you're in that range you might want to try the Gefell M300 and maybe the Lauten Torch or others.

I hesitate to be specific about vocal mics because it really is about matching the mic up to the voice. I will say that I like the darker Blue large diaphragm condensors (I have a Baby Bottle and several Bottle Rockets with various capsules, but the B7 or B6 would be the most obvious choices for male vocals). The Shure KSM 44 is a pretty good mic, and on some voices AKG C414 work well (but there are different versions of that one).

Couldn't agree more with this post.

I find the Beyerdynamic MC930 to be lovely and the Km184 to be a touch harsh in comparison (that's recording guitar, I managed to record piano very well with a KM184) I would also add that a Shure KSM9 can work well for recording vocals even though it is designed for live vocal use. If you like the mic for both purposes then you're onto a winner!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
My main recording space had horrible sound until I slapped a lot of acoustic treatment tiles on it. I sometimes think I deadened the top end a little by doing this but this is more than likely a feature of the mics.
Hi Andy - when I saw this, I felt I needed to comment. When you say 'acoustic tiles', what do you mean - Auralex foam or something similar? They WILL suck all the top end out of our sound and still leave the low and low-mid frequencies to muddy up recordings. Bass traps (full frequency absorption) is the answer.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD