The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-15-2014, 09:47 PM

Default how would you organise your recording?

I would like to record an instrumental song, with one acoustic rythm guitar and one acoustic lead guitar. How would you organize your recording? Would you record the rythm guitar with two mics (stereo), and same with the lead, or would you just record one mono track for each? And if you go for stereo recording, how would you panel your tracks?
If I go for stereo recording I got mic 1 rythm track, mic 2 rythm track, mic 1 lead track and mic 2 lead track. How would you spatialize all that?

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Ever since we moved off analog wth its limited tracks I've basically recorded both lead and rhythm guitars with two mics. Extra tacks don't cost anything more, right? It leaves me with choices at mix time. Typically I record the rhythm track with an array that makes it spread nicely when panned outboard left and right. I choose an array that makes rhythm guitar's stereo image very broad and not overly strong in the center. If the lead is a straight-ahead melody line either I'll choose the best-sounding mic from the stereo pair and put it straight up the middle or use the stereo array and just pan the two mics left and right out a tiny bit from center to get a wide image.

Onstage, it is often the practice of bands to physically locate whoever is in the spotlight in the center of the stage, the center of attention, and everyone else on the periphery. I typically follow the same philosophy in a mix.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD