The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2015, 06:11 PM

Not sure about the DM ownership of Ultrasound. I emailed them about when the AG30M was going to be available and they replied shortly after NAMM last month. Was Ultrasound at NAMM this year? Ultrasound facebook page has nothing about NAMM this year.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:23 PM

I wouldn't expect anything until summer
Old 03-02-2015, 03:22 PM

Musicians Friend says the AG-15M (also inexplicably hard to buy anywhere) is expected to ship in late June.

Geez, what is it with Ultrasound? How hard can it be to get product into the hands of people who are eager to buy them? Honestly, how do they expect to stay in business?

And the AG-30M was first announced more than A YEAR AGO and still hasn't seen the light of day, so I don't understand this business about "announcing at NAMM this year and shipping soon afterward". Right.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:01 PM

I purchased an Ultrasound AG50DS2 new in 2004 from Dave at Guitar Adoptions (Now Dave's Woodstock Music) I have absolutely loved it. Greg Farres of Ultrasound was absolutely the best with customer service any time I called. Later that year I also purchased a DI Plus. Best DI Box I have ever used. Works like new even today (11 years after I bought it). I use both my amp and DI Box constantly. For 11 years I have used nothing but Ultrasound and never thought of anything else.

Recently I had the circuit board go out on my amp. I get sound through the DI out to the board but the speakers distort and fade in and out. This happened once before in 2008 (I think). I spoke with Greg Farres at Ultrasound and he had me ship them the amp. They repaired it and shipped it back at no cost.

With this recent problem, I called Ultrasound (who apparently have since moved from Iowa to Arizona) and was told that they no longer do customer service or repairs. I also recently spoke with Dave at Woodstock Music, and he said he doesn't carry Ultrasound any more since Dean Markley bought them. Something else interesting to me, John from Shoreline posted on this thread last September (2014) that he was an Ultrasound Dealer but I just went to his site and nothing from Ultrasound. I guess he got tired of them as well.

That's enough for me, I'll hopefully get the amp repaired and keep using it but I'm done with Ultrasound. A once great company now no longer. If I can't get it repaired I'm looking into the Fishman LBX600.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
That's enough for me, I'll hopefully get the amp repaired and keep using it but I'm done with Ultrasound. A once great company now no longer.
It really is a sad situation.

I'm giving them one last chance, and I realize it's a longshot. I ordered an AG-15M from Amazon because they won't charge me until it ships. I'm willing to wait a few months (Musicians Friend estimates late June), but if it's much more than that I'll cancel the order and find something else.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjino View Post
It really is a sad situation.

I'm giving them one last chance, and I realize it's a longshot. I ordered an AG-15M from Amazon because they won't charge me until it ships. I'm willing to wait a few months (Musicians Friend estimates late June), but if it's much more than that I'll cancel the order and find something else.

Plus, even though you don't have to pay until it ships, you'd likely be SOL if you get a defective amp.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Plus, even though you don't have to pay until it ships, you'd likely be SOL if you get a defective amp.
I thought of that as well. I'd probably play it a bunch upon recipt to make sure it's okay, and if it isn't, take advantage of Amazon's great return policy.

But after that period runs out, you're correct. Fortunately, I have between now and June to decide how lucky I'm feeling and if I want to take a gamble on a company that (lately) has been acting dodgy.

And incidentally, the Ultrasound/DM no repair policy is the reason I decided to not wait for the AG30M to come out. At least the AG15M has been out for a while, but given Ultrasound's/DM's recent troubles I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a brand new model from them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification