The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-14-2008, 09:48 AM

Default Recording Interface

Hello all

I have a Mac with garageband, so I was looking for a relatively cheap interface to hook up the mic's and such to the computer to do some basic recording of my songs. Any suggestions for some particular interfaces? I was thinking something in the Toneport Series by Line 6, but i'm not to experienced with interfaces.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odngtrstff View Post
Hello all

I have a Mac with garageband, so I was looking for a relatively cheap interface to hook up the mic's and such to the computer to do some basic recording of my songs. Any suggestions for some particular interfaces? I was thinking something in the Toneport Series by Line 6, but i'm not to experienced with interfaces.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Hi odng...
Depends on what you plan to do with the interface.

Questions to answer are:
How many simultaneous inputs do you need.
What type of mics will you use.
Are you going to do multi-track layering of parts.

The solid interfaces which have been around a while and will likely work in two years are built by Lexicon, Presonus, Lexicon, Mark of the Unicorn, TASCAM and M-box. Others seem to come and go.

I am a Mac guy and ran a studio with a Mac tower for 8 years - and used MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) firewire interfaces and software - serious high end gear. MOTU and Digidesign both build ''serious'' products.

The good news is if you buy a decent interface, it will likely come with software which is more intuitive and better featured (and less of a power hog) than garage band. Garage Band is good for messing around, but CubaseLE, Pro-Tools, & even the free program Audacity, are all much more comprehensive recording programs.

For quick-n-dirty great recording I use the Zoom H2 or H4 (I own both). They are all inclusive (mics, preamps etc built in) and produce great recordings. They are point-n-shoot recorders. Small and great quality, not a lot of money ($200 & $300 respectively).

if I were buying an interface today for small recording via an interface I'd probably just get a Lexicon Lambda. But I already own a few thousand dollars worth of studio mics already - which would save me a bunch-o-cash.

If I wanted to do light commercial recording again, I'd get the MOTU Ultralite.

Hope this helps.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

If you only need a few channels at a time, check out the Apogee Duet. I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but with this, you're getting a very pro-quality pair of channels in a nice package, at a very reasonable price. It's more than a Tone Port, but it's cheaper than buying several different boxes over time as you learn more and want to upgrade. It's also extremely well integrated with GarageBand and Logic (the pro Mac recording software)

On the other hand, the Duet only works with a Mac, while some of Larry's suggestions will also work on a PC if you ever need to do that. I'd also seriously consider Larry's suggestion of one of the small portable recorders. As long as you're not wanting to do multi-tracking, these things are hard to beat, and they avoid the seemingly endless list of extras you need when you starting buying individual pieces.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM

I use the Audio Buddy. It is often offered with two mics for a pretty good price.

I like it because it has two inputs, so that with a stereo line in input, you set one input for the right and one for the left to get two tracks. I'm not familiar with Garageband, but most recording softwares will take a separate left input and right input and create two separate tracks.

But, you can definitley spend a lot more for better quality.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:54 PM

thanks guys that helps a lot
oh and to the first responder (i forgot your name as i'm writing this), i wanted to have at least maybe 3 inputs? so i could have a decent drum set up as well because i'd be recording those too. With all those interfaces you mentioned can you do multi track recording? like record the vocals and guitar at the same time?

thanks you have helped a lot
Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odngtrstff View Post
thanks guys that helps a lot
oh and to the first responder (i forgot your name as i'm writing this), i wanted to have at least maybe 3 inputs? so i could have a decent drum set up as well because i'd be recording those too. With all those interfaces you mentioned can you do multi track recording? like record the vocals and guitar at the same time?

thanks you have helped a lot
Hi odngtrstff...
My name is Larry, and most of the lower priced interfaces have only 2 XLR inputs. Interfaces with more inputs are out there, and are slightly higher priced, but if you need a lot inputs they are valuable.

Take a look at some of these...kind of a dreamer's catalog of interfaces...
Interfaces - click

I used tube preamps in my studio and my MOTU interface had no XLR inputs (only 1/4''). But the Mic preamps all had XLR in.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell