The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-10-2008, 04:26 PM

Default Pickups for Nylon String Guitars

Hi All,

I was thinking about putting a pickup in my nylon string classical. Does anyone have any recommendations about type and model of pickup that would best reproduce the warm tones of nylon?

Thanks in Advance,
-DF
Old 08-14-2008, 09:29 PM

Lightbulb

Depends on how loud you plan on being...if at moderate volume, and there's nothing louder nearby (electric bass, drums, piano, etc.), a contact p/u, either stuck to the bridge (outside) or attached the the bridgeplate (inside) can be nice.

OTOH, if you need more volume, a UST might be more applicable...with careful EQing, that can sound pretty good, too.

Adding an internal mic and mixing about 1/3 pickup to 2/3 mic is good, but not always possible...

Lots of variables to consider.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 PM

I've been thinking about this myself, and the one I'd go for if I did is Fishman's SBT-E. It's a passive contact pickup that's mounted inside the guitar near the bridge. I have one in my octave mandolin, and the tone is terrific. It's small, very light in weight, and it hasn't affected the acoustic tone of that instrument in the least. It's also inexpensive, at around $80. An external preamp is a good idea, but it's not necessary. See http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=52

Fishman makes a verson of the SBT that sticks on the sufrace, but temporary stick materials tend not to work too well. Either they let go easily (like the putty some companies use), or they muffle the sound, or both.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Fret View Post
Hi All,

I was thinking about putting a pickup in my nylon string classical. Does anyone have any recommendations about type and model of pickup that would best reproduce the warm tones of nylon?

Thanks in Advance,
-DF
Hi DF...
K&K builds pickups for nylon stringed instruments. I think Eblan (here in AGF from Mexico) has a K&K in his 8 string classical (Dieter built it especially for him). He gigs live with it through a PA all the time.

K&K are the warmest, and most natural pickups I've ever used, and Dieter (the inventor of them) is the most helpful person I've ever found on the other end of the phone. He really knows his pickups and how to install and maintain them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-16-2008, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Any suggestions if I don't have an endpin and don't want one?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 07:48 AM

I have had good success using an Audio Technica AT831B Lav mic and the AT8444 instrument adaptor, as shown below.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell