The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-17-2017, 03:49 PM

Default Proper headset to monitor recordings?

While it would be nice to have studio monitors to listen to my recordings, the volume required to pump them would send my condo neighbors into a tizzy. I got written up for having my stereo on too loud when I didn't even have a stereo here then (it must have LOOKED loud :0 ). On my usually computer I have a set of Altec Lansing speakers and adjustable subwoofer which really do an oustanding job considering what they are. Cost me a couple hundred 15 years ago so they aren't el cheapo computer speakers. HOWEVER....

For semi-critical listening (as best as I could do with budget restraints) I want to make sure I've got a proper set of headphones that I can rely on. Right now I've got a set of Audio-Techinca ATH M50's. When I bought them I tested 5 sets of headphones, including Sonym Sennheiser and Shure and found these to be the least colored and most detailed.

What say you experts?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-17-2017, 04:08 PM

In my experience and from all I've read, the headphones you have are about the best in their price range.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:09 PM

Sennheiser HD 280
Sony MD7506
AKG 240

Have all been studio standards for a quite a while.

There are others from Shure and AT...
Old 09-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I find open back headphones to be more accurate and realistic than closed back ones. There are many to choose from. Grado SR 125 and higher should be on your short list.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I find open back headphones to be more accurate and realistic than closed back ones. There are many to choose from. Grado SR 125 and higher should be on your short list.
This is true. I've enjoyed my ATH M50 for years, and it's great for tracking but it's not great at mixing.

I'm currently mixing using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

For playback in the DAW after recording and for general listening to music I use and recommend Grado 225 (or 325) open back headphones. I have the 255i and 325i headphones. The latest ones are 225e and 325e.

https://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneRe...endations.html

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-17-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
For playback in the DAW after recording and for general listening to music I use and recommend Grado 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Grado SR 125 and higher should be on your short list.

Interesting, I actually don't use headphones for mixing, but I have been wanting some Grados for general listening. Now I have another reason for buying them!
Old 09-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

I've got an older set of open-back Grados for listening... can't remember the model number, but they're excellent!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:57 AM

Is this just for listening or for MIXING too?
Mixing with headphones presents all types of challenges - from the proximity effect of the drivers to enhanced mids to the problem of not getting left-right bleed. If you have to use headphones for mixing, burn the mixes to a CD (or to a portable drive) and listen on other systems to see how the mix 'translates'.
You don't need to be loud to mix - the 85dB range is fine.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
For playback in the DAW after recording and for general listening to music I use and recommend Grado 225 (or 325) open back headphones. I have the 255i and 325i headphones. The latest ones are 225e and 325e.

https://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneRe...endations.html
Thanks for the review link! I had tried the Grado 125's when I was searching for my initial set. I don't like things ON my ears as my ears get very hot immediately. In fact my GF bought me a (inexpensive) Sennheiser wireless headset for the bedroom and I had them on my head for 30 seconds before putting them back in the box and exchanging them for Sony that is over the ear. Over the ear just works better for me.

I bought my M50's after auditioning 5 different sets. I was looking for something flat that would be good at evaluating sound rather than enhancing (distorting) it to any great degree (like Beats). I wanted to have a set that sounded ok plugged into the back of my SS amp and didn't leak when I was recording.[Still have to deal with latency a bit]

The Beyer Dynamic 880 looks interesting. But as I'm reading if it is true that headphones are not good for mixing perhaps I should just stay with what I have and use my computer speakers. The Altec Lansing speakers that I have are surprisingly good and seem to translate very well for what they are. On my other computer (just to the right of me) I have Monsoon speakers, which I thought were really good, but the Altecs seem to have a truer, richer sound. My fear with regular monitors is that I'd have to spend a lot to get a good pair and not sure if I could drive them loud enough to be good without driving the neighbors insane. The pity of it all is that I have a pair of Polk 10 speakers and a Nakamichi receiver in the closet with zero room to even set it all up. I should really sell it but can't seem to part with it, hoping one day I'll have a place that I can just let it all loose.

Thanks for the input guys!
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-18-2017, 09:23 AM

I've had a few sets of higher-end phones and my hands-down favorite for mixing, monitoring, or casual listening are my Beyerdynamic DT 770's. I can wear them for hours without discomfort, too.
Not cheap, but with phones it's often the case that you get what you pay for.

I personally wouldn't worry about anyone saying you can't mix with phones. You really have to be realistic about your personal situation, which it sounds like you are. The important thing for headphone mixing is to LISTEN to your source material with your phones and mix to emulate that. It's not the perfect situation, but you learn to work within your individual constraints.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I've had a few sets of higher-end phones and my hands-down favorite for mixing, monitoring, or casual listening are my Beyerdynamic DT 770's. I can wear them for hours without discomfort, too.
Not cheap, but with phones it's often the case that you get what you pay for.

I personally wouldn't worry about anyone saying you can't mix with phones. You really have to be realistic about your personal situation, which it sounds like you are. The important thing for headphone mixing is to LISTEN to your source material with your phones and mix to emulate that. It's not the perfect situation, but you learn to work within your individual constraints.
Thank you. As I read your reply something else popped up into my thoughts; the change in how one perceives audio as one's ears "self-attenuate" and "auto-adjust". As an illustration of the affect, if I play my Taylor 614ce before playing any of my other guitars I have one impression of it. However, it I play my D35 or 814 before it, the 614 sounds entirely different to my ears. So, even if I had the best of the best monitors and equipment, what would keep me from being fooled based on what my hearing expects from moment to moment?

Just thinking aloud.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 PM

Your ATs are fine for tracking.

I love my K240s for mixing.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Your ATs are fine for tracking.

I love my K240s for mixing.
I got a pair of K240s a few months ago and find them very bottom heavy. The frequency response from the AT M50s sounds very close to what comes out of my Mackie HR824 monitors in a somewhat treated room.

I used to have a pair of Grado 225s and they sounded accurate but were uncomfortable for me.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I got a pair of K240s a few months ago and find them very bottom heavy. The frequency response from the AT M50s sounds very close to what comes out of my Mackie HR824 monitors in a somewhat treated room.

I used to have a pair of Grado 225s and they sounded accurate but were uncomfortable for me.

Huh. To my ears the 240s are fairly flat. I hear my ATs (I have the M30s and the M50s) as very bass heavy. Love them for tracking

But hey, whatever works is what works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD