The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-01-2017, 11:10 PM

Default Crowning file

Hi Guys

I am looking to invest in a good (ideally fool proof) crowning file, to this point I have used a single cut quarter file but I don't feel overly confident with it - it is 6 inches long.

I have been looking at the stew Mac (Z File) the original.
It cuts one side at a time and it appears to be pretty easy to use producing great results even for the novice.

I don't want to spend years perfecting the art of the quarter file therefore would be happy to invest in the Z file if it is as good as described therefore would appreciate any comments or recommendations from those that may have used it or similar crowning files.

Thanks
Brian
Old 09-01-2017, 11:26 PM

Wish there was one foolproof file. A bunch of different files seems to work best for me.

First I had a small triangular Grobet jewelers file with one smoothed edge. Then the concave diamond files. Then a larger triangular file, an English one which still wants more edge dressing. I've also used the concave file with sandpaper of various grits.

Guess it depends what I'm doing. Mandolin, guitar, bouzouki, balalaika ...

An an amateur, the easiest is the slowest, the small triangular file.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:55 AM

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools....umbo-300-grit/

If you want a thin edge to your crown, the Z file would do. I have the StewMac version of the linked file, but this one's less expensive. I have no problem clean-fretting with a wider crown. An issue with metal-toothed, non-diamond files can be chatter marks.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:30 AM

Default Crowning file

Thanks for that guys.

The reference to a wider crown?
Interesting- when I observe different websites and some luthiers in particular those selling crowning files the reference is generally to obtain a very thin line at the middle of the fret when crowning followed by a series of different grade sanding paper to obtain a smooth rounded finish.

However I have seen on many guitars and I have one where the finished fret tops (look flat) not rounded and covers at least half of the width of the overall fret.
My question: Does the fret top need to be completely rounded and or completely flat with the sharp ends rounded to achieve the same end result.

Thanks
Brian
Old 09-02-2017, 08:35 AM

I can't say enough good things about the SM offset file. It's a bit expensive buit it's a great tool.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...Fret_File.html

Coming from using a triangle file for 20 years I learned to roll the file over the crown to get a nice rounded point and you still have to do this with the offset file but the rounded profile of the file and the diamond edge gets it done fast. I have the 300 grit file and it cuts super fast, I can't imagine using the 150 frankly, it might be too quick!
Old 09-02-2017, 11:31 AM

Brian, a flat, tabled fret is bad, could introduce sitar-like vibration. A rounded top, whether thin or wide is the aim.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:38 PM

Default Crowning file

Thanks again guys for the information.

Can you tell me how I can add a photo to my message. When I look above my typed text message at the icons there is no add attachment link just insert image which asks for URL of my image?

Thanks
Brian
Old 09-02-2017, 07:45 PM

Default Crowning file

Hi Guys

I have attempted to upload an image of my description: (flat crown) I previously spoke of - not sure if the upload worked.

My question is these frets are closest to the sound hole therefore they would have had minimal use, all other frets look the same, so do these look normal for average wear. It had the frets dressed by a luthier a couple of years ago.

Thanks Brian
Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 PM

Sounds as if whomever did the work didn't consider it important enough to bother. If the fretboard is diving at those frets, then I can understand letting it go. Dress them anyway, it looks nicer.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:28 PM

Default Crowning file

Thanks Guys.

Redir- In addition to what I have read including your recommended I have decided to purchase the offset file.

With your knowledge and experience with using this file are there any words of advice (quick tips) to avoid early learning disasters.

Thanks again

Brian
Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhejh View Post
Thanks Guys.

Redir- In addition to what I have read including your recommended I have decided to purchase the offset file.

With your knowledge and experience with using this file are there any words of advice (quick tips) to avoid early learning disasters.

Thanks again

Brian
Any tool requires a learning period and most people develop their own methods using them even though all tools have a best practice. This file is a no brainer. The only thing again I would mention is don't think of it as all you have to do is file straight lines and depend on it to crown the tops. You will want to approach it from side to side to round off the top to a point. The file is crowned but it's not ideal. If left to its own device you will get to what is commonly referred to as the 'school bus' Gibson style fret cross section profile. Some people love it but ideally you want a sharper crown.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:35 AM

When you press the post message button the reply to thread page pops up. Above where you type in your reply is a set of buttons. If you hover your pointer over a button it tells you its function. The fifth one from the right is the image button. You need to have the image hosted on another site (Imgur or the like, no longer Photobucket of ...) and you copy the image location and paste it in the image box.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhejh View Post
... are there any words of advice (quick tips) to avoid early learning disasters ...
Take your time taping off the fingerboard. I use ¼" and ½" blue painters tape. Tape off the top of the guitar around the fingerboard overlay.

Practice on frets you'll never use. Watch a youtube video or two. Sharpie the top of the fret. If it does not look right, do not continue thinking it will straighten itself out. Take a break and come back in ten minutes for a fresh look.

Don't offer to do a 'level, crown,polish' job without knowing beforehand if the guitar has stainless frets
Old 09-04-2017, 03:52 PM

Default Crowning file

Old 09-06-2017, 02:38 AM

Default Crowning file

Hi Guys

Your knowledge is evident, thank you all so much for sharing.

Brian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair