The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Another costly option are the Thomastik plectrums. Flat top E and flat wound on the A, D, G. I have not used the ones mentioned above to compare but the plectrums are pretty quiet.

I would like to try the flat tops but I seem to be a wimp when it comes higher tension and I only use standard tuning as I'm a basic player sadly.
+1 on the Plectrums, they are the quietest string I have used so if the tone works you have a winner. They are pricey but I typically get 8-12 weeks out of a set.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-11-2016, 07:26 AM

You may want to try stainless steel flat wounds to get rid of the string squeak.

I'd been using stainless steel flat wounds (D'Addario Chromes) on my Godin 5th Ave arch top for the past six years.
These Stainless steel flat wounds are sold as electric guitar strings, but two years ago I decided to try them on my flat top acoustics and they worked out extremely well.
These flat wounds have a pleasing mellow tone which I prefer.
The strings seem to last forever and there is NO String Squeak.

I know most folks consider using flat wound strings on flat top acoustics taboo, which is probably why I waited so long before trying them.
I really like on my current flat top acoustics and plan to use them on any future acoustic I may own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD