The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:01 PM

Well I fixed it...the problem was conflicting ASIO drivers...I had a ASIO4ALL driver installed and I uninstalled it. Now Sonar uses it's own ASIO driver and it works fine !! Something about the ASIO4ALL driver was messing up my Sonar. Now it's working fine !!

here's a sample of the JP-8000 > 18i8 > Sonar > MP3

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000/jp-8000-18i8-sonar

Awesome !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 08-01-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:22 AM

Another bit of awesomeness...I was able to connect the midi in and outs of the JP-8000 to the Focusrite 18i8 and then into Sonar for midi recording off the JP-8000....It worked perfectly on the first try !! I had to dig up some midi cables, but I knew I had them from a long time ago. Usually you have to mess around with midi to get it to work, but this setup fired up right away. I was able to record a sequence into Sonar, then play the midi signal back out thru the JP-8000.

To me, this is fantastic news !!

This Focusrite 18i8 is working out great !!

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-03-2016, 09:36 AM

As I stated on another thread, I bought a second TLM 102 mic off of eBay. Today I bought another mic stand with a boom and a new shock mount for the mic. I'll put the two 102's together on a stereo mic bar I have and put the Baby Bottle on the new stand. This will allow me to record stereo guitar and vocals at the same time on different tracks.

The Focusrite 18i8 makes this all possible.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 PM

I'm glad you got your rig working to where you wanted it, that's always a great feeling!!!

And...

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad over SONAR and ASIO. I use Sonar on three different computers all with the ASIO drivers, X1 on one of them X3 on the other 2, both Producer versions. On all machines it works perfect, lo latency and killer feature set. The interfaces are RME Babyface and RME UC.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:27 PM

Thanks. I'm still working on it, today I installed the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10. So far all my tests have come out positive. Meaning Audition and Sonar and the 18i8 are all working great with the Anniversary Edition. !!!!!

I had to play out yesterday and today, so I wasn't able to get much studio time in. The new TLM 102 mic is scheduled for delivery on Friday, shock mount on Saturday, and I don't know yet about the new mic stand....it's shipped out but I haven't got a delivery date yet on that.

I've made a lot of major purchases in the last couple of months which has really brought my studio up to snuff. The improvements are paying off big time in sound quality of my recordings, and software that gives me complete control over my studio and recordings. The software that comes with the 18i8 is awesome. Sonar Platinum with unlimited lifetime updates is awesome. I wish I would have had this rig 30 years ago !!!!!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-04-2016, 10:34 AM

Here's a picture of my mixer in Sonar...notice that I have all my mics on different tracks, so I can toggle between them to compare how each mic sounds... the Neumann TLM 102 is the ultimate winner....

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Now here's a pic of the Focusrite 18i8 mixer...

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-05-2016, 12:13 PM

Well I received my 2nd Neumann TLM 102 today...it's in mint condition and sounded perfect on my initial test. The shock mount is coming later today.

I also received a new mic stand with a telescoping boom for the Blue Baby Bottle mic.

I also ran an XLR cable from the Fender SFX amp to the Focusrite 18i8. I also ran a couple of cables from my Mackie mixer to the 18i8...so now I'm using all 8 inputs of the 18i8. The two channels of the Mackie mixer are Direct Outputs in addition to the two channels from the Main outputs of the Mackie. This gives me two channels for my synths on the main out, and two channels for additional mics from the Direct Outputs....I've checked it all out and everything is working perfectly !! All this gives me many options for recording and really sets up my studio nicely.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-05-2016, 02:45 PM

Well the shock mount for the second TLM 102 has arrived !! Fits like a glove !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-05-2016, 03:06 PM

I found a really long xlr cable I can use for the Baby Bottle Mic.

Finally my studio is complete.

Some guys spend their money on boats, some on motorcycles, some on classic cars or trucks. I spent my money on a home recording studio. It should work good enough for many years without doing anymore upgrades.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-06-2016, 08:57 PM

Okay, here's quick sound sample of my D-35 > 2 Neumann TLM 102 mics>Sonar>mp3

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000/d...tlm-102-x2-mp3
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 08-06-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I found a really long xlr cable I can use for the Baby Bottle Mic.

Finally my studio is complete.

Some guys spend their money on boats, some on motorcycles, some on classic cars or trucks. I spent my money on a home recording studio. It should work good enough for many years without doing anymore upgrades.
famous last words!

have fun

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-06-2016, 10:19 PM

Well years ago I had an 8-track studio, but the equipment soon became obsolete. Then I got sick for a while and the studio just deteriorated over time. I only had two channels to record with. Only had one good mic. An old beat up D-18. When I bought my current computer, I had to give up my Delta 1010LT sound card, which gave me 8 tracks to work with. My studio just went down hill from there. Over the last two years, I've struggled to get the studio back up to snuff. I've made many improvements, did lots of upgrading, spent lots of money, and now I'm finally happy with the results I'm getting. I've got a nice selection of mics now, upgraded software, upgraded interface, a D-35, a Pono DS-20 guitar, new headphones, and 8 tracks to work with. Just about everything that was wrong has been fixed. Cables have been routed so as not to make a big mess. Just a great big cleaning job, to make it more hospitable and easy to work with. I may not have $1,000 pre-amps, or compressors, or tons of outboard gear found in most professional studio's, but I'm getting very decent recordings with the gear I do have. Finally, I don't feel the need to buy anymore stuff. The stuff I have is very adequate for a quality home studio.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-07-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Well years ago I had an 8-track studio, but the equipment soon became obsolete. Then I got sick for a while and the studio just deteriorated over time. I only had two channels to record with. Only had one good mic. An old beat up D-18. When I bought my current computer, I had to give up my Delta 1010LT sound card, which gave me 8 tracks to work with. My studio just went down hill from there. Over the last two years, I've struggled to get the studio back up to snuff. I've made many improvements, did lots of upgrading, spent lots of money, and now I'm finally happy with the results I'm getting. I've got a nice selection of mics now, upgraded software, upgraded interface, a D-35, a Pono DS-20 guitar, new headphones, and 8 tracks to work with. Just about everything that was wrong has been fixed. Cables have been routed so as not to make a big mess. Just a great big cleaning job, to make it more hospitable and easy to work with. I may not have $1,000 pre-amps, or compressors, or tons of outboard gear found in most professional studio's, but I'm getting very decent recordings with the gear I do have. Finally, I don't feel the need to buy anymore stuff. The stuff I have is very adequate for a quality home studio.
Please don't take offense, but your running commentary and history of your equipment posting above is precisely why I always advise folks to grab an R8, a good set of phones, and possibly a mic (or 2) and start recording.

It's incredibly easy to get caught up in the whole hardware / software aspect to the point of not getting anything done. I DO wish you the best of luck, but it's not the first time I've read the same story.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Please don't take offense, but your running commentary and history of your equipment posting above is precisely why I always advise folks to grab an R8, a good set of phones, and possibly a mic (or 2) and start recording.

It's incredibly easy to get caught up in the whole hardware / software aspect to the point of not getting anything done. I DO wish you the best of luck, but it's not the first time I've read the same story.

That's all well and good if you just want to record one or two tracks. If you want to record a small ensemble of players then you'll need more tracks, mics and computer inputs. Ya I got by with two tracks for a long time, but I wanted 8 tracks. It may sound like I'm spending a lot of money, but compare that to renting out a studio. I now have access to an 8 track studio in my home, 24/7 for many years to come. No more trying to book a busy studio, waiting for a time slot, driving to the studio, dealing with obnoxious engineers...there's a lot to be said for having a home studio. If I want to lay down a synth track at 3:00 in the morning, it's no problem. If I want to lay down a guitar and vocal track at 4:00 AM it's no problem. When the mood strikes, I'm ready and all set up for it. Yes it costs a few bucks and takes some time to understand how to work it all, but to me it's worth it. I can now say I have an 8 track studio and know how to use it. I've accomplished something nice. It sure beats spending my time sitting in a bar and blowing all my money on drinks.

Many artists set up their own studio's at home....for example...Prince set up Paisley Park. Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart have their own studio. Peter Gabriel has his own studio he built up from scratch...The reason they do it is that it's so convenient for them to have a private studio. It's not for everybody, but it's what I wanted.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 08-07-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD