The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 AM

Default Where to sell a Taylor

Any suggestions about where I can post my Taylor for sale? ebay seems to only attract bottom feeders. Would appreciate any suggestions. supra55vp

Last edited by cotten; 04-26-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Removed specifics that make this thread seem like it was a sneaky way to bypass our Classifieds.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

There is a "classifieds" section here on AGF.

That would be the most obvious place to start.

Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008
Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 AM
*mahoganut*

Hi supra. Paul's suggestion is good - you'll have lots of lookers who know the quality of what you're selling.

You'll need to pay the small fee to be a "charter" member but that's a teeny price for what I expect you'd get out of this forum.

Caution, though - although there are lots of very good folks here it's an open forum and you may get not only low-ballers from within but those outside who are looking for a "deal". And the AGF doesn't police the classifieds - they are just there as a courtesy. All internet buying / selling has some risk.

And setting a realistic price is important, knowing that the market right now for higher end guitars is slow. If you need to sell it quickly, there should be some good folks interested; if you don't have to sell it you can set a more reasonable (to you) price and wait for the right buyer. But it's slow - I can just tell you from experience!

Best of luck and welcome to the posting side of the forum!

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 PM

Your choices are pretty simple - local newspaper, Craigslist, Ebay, online Forum (like here) or local acoustic center. I've had excellent success in all of these. On Ebay you list it for sale and sell it if you get the bids. No bottom feeders will effect your sale if you list the buy-it-now or starting price.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Hi supra. Paul's suggestion is good - you'll have lots of lookers who know the quality of what you're selling.

You'll need to pay the small fee to be a "charter" member but that's a teeny price for what I expect you'd get out of this forum.

Caution, though - although there are lots of very good folks here it's an open forum and you may get not only low-ballers from within but those outside who are looking for a "deal". And the AGF doesn't police the classifieds - they are just there as a courtesy. All internet buying / selling has some risk.

And setting a realistic price is important, knowing that the market right now for higher end guitars is slow. If you need to sell it quickly, there should be some good folks interested; if you don't have to sell it you can set a more reasonable (to you) price and wait for the right buyer. But it's slow - I can just tell you from experience!

Best of luck and welcome to the posting side of the forum!

Phil
To add one thing to this. With minimal posts on the forum you may also not get a whole lot of takers either. Lots of the trust the gets built up in the community has to do with seeing folks around for a while before folks trust them enough to send them a big pile of money for a guitar.

-Dave
Old 04-26-2011, 06:20 AM

I have sold instruments and musical equipment through Craig's List and here at the AGF ... so far, my experiences have been excellent ... the experience is only as good as the people you deal with though ... fortunately the AGF seems to have a very high percentage of some of the best folks around as musical forums go ... with a higher quality (higher priced) instrument, patience is the key ... depends on why you are selling really ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

I have sold several guitars via eBay without any problems.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions about where I can post my Taylor for sale? ebay seems to only attract bottom feeders. Would appreciate any suggestions.
My first suggestion is refrain from making lame generalizations, which also aren't true. Sorry, but that's what it was. I'll bet 95% of all the folks who browse these classifieds browse ebay almost every day. I have had more positive transactions on ebay than I can count. You don't have to take a penny less than you want to.

Craigslist, in my experience, is the most mixed. You may well hear from some tire-kickers, or get some wacko and obvious scam offer. I guarantee you will get emails asking "Is the guitar still for sale?". Still, if you are in a decent marketplace and are patient, you can buy or sell a high-end guitar on Craigslist. It's convenient for both sides to not have to pack and ship an instrument.

The Larrivee forum and Guild forum also have classifieds.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticphd View Post
My first suggestion is refrain from making lame generalizations, which also aren't true. Sorry, but that's what it was. I'll bet 95% of all the folks who browse these classifieds browse ebay almost every day. I have had more positive transactions on ebay than I can count. You don't have to take a penny less than you want to.

Craigslist, in my experience, is the most mixed. You may well hear from some tire-kickers, or get some wacko and obvious scam offer. I guarantee you will get emails asking "Is the guitar still for sale?". Still, if you are in a decent marketplace and are patient, you can buy or sell a high-end guitar on Craigslist. It's convenient for both sides to not have to pack and ship an instrument.

The Larrivee forum and Guild forum also have classifieds.
I have sold and bought many guitars on the Larrivee Forum. In fact I sold my Taylor 615ce there and got the GC4 there.
LS-03 Forum III #1
D-02

Etc.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:29 AM

I'd post an ad right here on the forum. I've bought and sold a few things here and got a fair price for what I was selling and paid a fair price for what I bought. GB

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 04-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

I used to buy and sell a lot of Taylors. I got the highest prices on ebay, but the higher fees ate up a lot of that. Since then I have mostly used the forum classifieds, where the low fees make up for the potentially lower selling prices. I have sold on CL, but you do get the most lowballers and tire kickers that way. Also, its actally more convenient for my busy schedule to just schedule shipping than to try to figure out a time to meet with someone who may or may not be serious and if they are typically will try to get the price down at the last minute .

'79 Yamaha CJ-838S, '03 Martin D-41, '03 Taylor 600 SPEC, '99 Taylor 714, '08 Gibson J45R, '01 G & L Legacy
Old 04-30-2011, 10:35 AM

I used Craigslist to sell my 110 for about 60% of what I paid new 2 years later. The guy came to my house and paid cash. No issues. No shipping, or using transfer of funds. It was a win/win for both parties.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I've sold a couple of guitars on eBay, and also sold one here on AGF. Never had problems with any of them. You'll have a hard time selling a guitar here on AGF with just one post to your name, though, so I'd recommend eBay if you want to sell it reasonably quickly. At least there you're almost guaranteed to get buyers. If you don't want bottom-feeders, don't set a bottom-feeding price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion