The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM

The series by Aaron Shearer is great as well and if you have access to a good teacher that will only help to speed things along.

Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Red face

Along with Aaron Shearer's books, I also found Jason Waldron's Classical Guitar Method Book 1 to be excellent. It also includes a cd so you can listen to how the excercise's should sound.

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2
Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 PM

I started playing guitar 3 years ago at age 60. I've been taking lessons from the best instructor in the area. Since he has been teaching me lots of music theory, reading music is now easy. Never too late!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil79 View Post
Hello there, I'm a new member and I'm glad to find this forum where people could share their passion about nylon guitars and guitar music in general. I started playing the guitar when I was 12 mostly learning to play by playing with other folks and learning chords and plucking patterns from them and I also learned to read TAB along the way...in time I gravitated to playing solo guitar and I started playing at open mic's and now I want to expand my abilities and be able to read notes/ sight read just in case I need to play at an ensemble, so any advice would be a great help. I also don't know where my level of playing is at so please check out my Youtube channel and let me know what you guys think...my username is Fil79 I can read music on the piano since I did took formal lessons on it but I cannot read music on the guitar. Thanks in advance fellas!
It's the same but guitar is played an octave out form piano.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil79 View Post
Hello there... I can read music on the piano since I did took formal lessons on it but I cannot read music on the guitar. Thanks in advance fellas!
Oh, that's easy. Just get yourself a guitar lessons book for beginners! You'll realize that the guitar is so much easier than the piano because you're only learning single note recognition for the longest time! And you're only using one hand, whereas you're using all your fingers in both hands when you play the piano.

Just like with guitar, piano and everything else that's learned, nothing is ever "too late"...it just takes time, and patience!

Good Luck!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
Oh, that's easy. Just get yourself a guitar lessons book for beginners! You'll realize that the guitar is so much easier than the piano because you're only learning single note recognition for the longest time! And you're only using one hand, whereas you're using all your fingers in both hands when you play the piano.

Just like with guitar, piano and everything else that's learned, nothing is ever "too late"...it just takes time, and patience!

Good Luck!
thanks, I'm almost done the book now and I can read music up to the 5th fret...I'm trying to learn Malaguena right now juts by reading the standard notation. I'm planning to get Parkening's method book vol 2 soon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical