The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 PM

Default New Classical "Beater"...

Hey.
Am in the market for a new Classical "Beater": Just need a guitar to knock around with, take outside, etc, but which still (hopefully) sounds decent. I do already have a guitar that suits this purpose, but it's just TOO darn crappy: all laminate, poor tone, etc. I think my beater can AT LEAST have a solid top. Would like to spend less than $500 on this piece. Was thinking about either a Pavan TP-10 (solid Cedar top, Sapele laminate back & sides), or maybe a Yamaha CG162S (solid Englemann Spruce top/Ovangkol laminate back & sides) or CG182 (solid European Spruce top/Rosewood laminate back & sides), or maybe even a Kremona. Might anyone here have any ideas on these choices? Which of these will give me the most bang for my buck?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:42 PM

Esteve R Fernandez 40?

Can be had right at your budgeted amount.

'10 Bourgeois Custom OMC, '90-ish Lowden F22, '09 Simon & Patrick Folk Cutaway, '09 Recording King RO-06, '10 Paco Marin PM 395
'92 Epiphone Les Paul, '11 Grosh ElectraJet
Old 07-14-2010, 03:02 PM

If I could spend $500 on a beater, I'd shop for a used guitar.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:15 PM

I agree. For a 500 budget, you can find a nice used Nylon on CL that should fit your needs.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM

Another recommendation to shop around for the USED gits in your area for that price.
Craigslist, Evil-Bay, look at the forum FOR SALE items (here, Acoustic Guitar) and you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find.
Ask your local shops...I think about everyone would agree that nylon string models are usually the slowest moving in shops, so thus an opportunity for you to shop and "make an offer".
Should be FUN project, so Enjoy your challenge.
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 PM

How about Ramond Gracia all solid made in china?
cheers
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 PM

Yamaha CG 162 cedar top. Less than $ 400.00. Excellent guitar.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuket View Post
How about Ramond Gracia all solid made in china?
cheers
I'm afraid I've not heard of this maker, and can't find anything on them. I also tried searching on "Ramond Garcia", "Raymond Gracia" & "Raymond Garcia" (in case you accidentally inverted some of the letters), all to no avail. Have you got a link?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 AM

$500, nice budget. I'd say go used too. Heck, the Guitar Center here in Tampa has a dinged up Contreras selling in that price range that sounds amazing. Last time I was there to buy a steel string, but had to force myself NOT to pik up the Contreras because it was so nice. They had a nice used Guild in the price range, too.

Yup, go used!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Eric,

You don't have to spend $500 for a beater, and you won't find a Pavan or Kremona for that price (both very nice guitars). You can buy some great guitars on flea-bay for under $200. First do a search on Classical Guitars, then select your preference as lowest priced first. Look for guitars that start listing between 99 cents and $100. You will find vintage guitars every week that sell for $100-$200 that are great. Right now there is a Morris, a Bruno Ventura, some older Yamahas, a nice Suzuki... all of these are guitars of a quality level that you would have to pay more than $500 for new. They will be used and sometimes not pretty, but all will be great "players" guitars, and that is what a "beater" is, right? Be patient, take at least 2 weeks, start watching... you will be amazed at what sells for practically nothing. Feel free to PM me if you have a questions about any particular guitar.... I know just enough to be dangerous.

Edit: There are some very nice Walden classicals selling new on flea-bay right now for ridiculous prices... I have played the high-end Waldens and they were amazing... I suspect they area all good... just make sure you get a solid top, nothing else will do.

BD

Last edited by billder99; 07-17-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM

plus one on an Esteve. Get it used and beat it good!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 AM

For some folks, beaters start at $150. For other folks, beaters start at $1000.

Eric's buying in accordance to his budget. If he can spend $500 for a beater, that's fine.

I would still buy used for better value. But I must admit that buying on fleaBay may not be ideal (if the seller has a NO RETURNS policy) since you can't play the guitar before it arrives. Face it, we all have our tastes. What's a "great guitar" to one player may be a "horrible guitar" to another. Craigslist is where I prefer to shop and I always bring one of my guitars for comparison (this will allow me to account for acoustic conditions which might make the other guitar "sound" better).

If you do decide to go new, then Yamaha and Takamine should be included in your short-list. I've had mixed results with Cordoba (Iberia series), LaPatrie and Kremona but I would not rule any of them out if I can play before buying.

IMHO, the Spanish-made guitars suffer from a degree of price-inflation due to the past strength of the Spanish economy and the exchange rates. That's why I'm not quick to recommend Rodriguez y Hijos or any of the other Spanish brands. I feel you get better value with a quality PacRim guitar, a Canadian guitar, Mexican (luthier made) or an Eastern European one.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 AM

I picked up a Yamaha C-70 in a pawn-shop, for $100.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Hope View Post
I'm afraid I've not heard of this maker, and can't find anything on them. I also tried searching on "Ramond Garcia", "Raymond Gracia" & "Raymond Garcia" (in case you accidentally inverted some of the letters), all to no avail. Have you got a link?
Sorry,it's name Ramon garcia model Solores.
solid cedar top,solid rosewood b/s,ebony fret board.
It's cost 13,000 baht or 400 us in Bangkok Thailand.
I don't know the link!,sorry again.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuket View Post
Sorry,it's name Ramon garcia model Solores.
solid cedar top,solid rosewood b/s,ebony fret board.
It's cost 13,000 baht or 400 us in Bangkok Thailand.
I don't know the link!,sorry again.
I think I found it (though it's actually called a "Dolores"). There's mention of it on a Thai acoustic guitar forum. Scroll down for pics:

http://www.acousticthai.net/communit...d.php?tid=7700

Don't know how I would go about buying this, as they don't appear to be marketed in the States at all, but it's interesting to see it. Thanks for mentioning it.

BD, thanks for the eBay tips. I will certainly look into that. Will investigate all the other suggestions offered on this page as well. Thanks. y'all!

-Eric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical