The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Should I fix this sooner rather than later?

Not sure if this will show up very well or not. The area between the soundhole and rosette on my Taylor 816ce is starting to "peel" for a lack of a better term. It feels very fine, and the parts that are coming off feels paper like. I'm assuming it's from the way I strum with my pick.

Is this something that is fixable and if so what would a luthier do to fix it? If I leave it as is will there be problems down the road?

This guitar is my daily driver. I play it several times a week, every week. Not meant to be a collectors item. It has its fair shares of bumps and bruises so it doesn't bother me. Just wondering if it will mess up my guitar.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:06 PM

Hard to tell, I cannot see any issues with your rosette, if the lacquer is coming off, likely its coming off the paua shell.

it looks to me like your wood pickguard is lifting. This is an easy fix, just a small 1cm circle of double sided tape slipped into the gap.

Seve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair