The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 PM

well, i start off with nylon and have played with them many years so i hope i can give a opinion or two.

First, in construction wise, almost all nylon i had or play before got no truss rod.
My opinion is they do not need to due to the less tension the nylon strings generates or pull. I believe this is true, almost all large or small manufactures recommend that their nylon / classical guitars are strung with medium (normal) tension strings. This is why it is not recommended that a nylon/ classical is strung with steel strings regardless of what soever gauge you had in mind.

Second , i believe or know some nylon/ classical neck do warped, but that could cause by many factors. Humidity, how the guitar is being treated, strung with wrong tension strings, the wood pieces/ block that made the neck is not dry properly when the construction initially begins. There could be others but i think these are general ones

If you guys started with steel strings guitar, you may think that the truss rod is very important which i fully agree with, but i think that only apply with steel strings instruments. Different tuning and gauge combo with make it really hard for the luthiers to determine what kind of total tension will owners apply their instrument, therefore a truss rod is handy in adjusting string relieve.

By the way i almost forgot. I have a kohno classical with have multilayer neck with 2 strips for ebony sandwich between 3 mahogany pieces to make up the neck. something like the yamaha lx 24/36/46 models.
Some say that this is like a truss rod but an nonadjustable one.

Hope that will clear some air for you guys.
2010 Yamaha LS16
2010 Yamaha LJ16

Taylor 714CE
Taylor GS5
Taylor GA8
Taylor GC4
Taylor GC6

Bandilla 10-string classical guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical