The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I wonder if my Martin MMV is lightly braced or not ? If it is it would probably handle lights very well. If it isn't, I guess that Mediums are the right choice. Is there any owner of a Martin MMV who could comment in addition to TwoMartinMan ?
It is lightly braced and lights sound great on it.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post
Most if not all dreads are designed and constructed for use with medium strings. I have yet to see one with a "Do Not Use Mediums" warning label on it.

Light gauge strings will exert less tension, but that doesn't make them better for the overall health of the guitar. Mediums will not damage a dread.
IMO mediums will probably make a neck reset a lot more likely.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:37 AM

I use mediums on my J-45. Lights always seemed too thin sounding. I've found that on the rare occasions when friends borrow the guitar, they really hate the feel of the heavier strings. But they're Taylor and Electric guys, and do alot bending of strings whereas I'm pretty much a straight finger picker using thumb and finger picks. As usual, whatever you like best is the correct answer.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:11 AM

Mediums on all my dreads.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspencer View Post
Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

After a few years of self-experimentation and reading up older threads, I feel I have to add to this: Lights or Mediums for your dreadnought ?

1) Extra Lights gauge 11s = sounds good, easy to play, but you are not hearing the guitar. You are hearing the strings. So, string type and quality is imperative for the tone you'll get.

2) Light gauge 12s = string type and brand is important. But again, you will not hear the fullness of the dreadnought. More like 50/50 string tone and guitar tone. So, string choice makes a difference.

3) Medium gauge 13s = no matter what string brand or type you use, you'll hear your guitar's unique tone. String quality or type, will help blend to your own taste. But only 13s can vibrate the back and sides freely.
For me and my experiences I'm not sure I agree with your conclusions. I put 12's on my HD and it made it somewhat quieter but not by much, if any at all, and I didn't lose any guitar tone. It still sounded like an HD. Maybe from 13's to 11's but no real difference from 13's to 12's.

Strings have come a long ways in the past several years. You no longer need those heavy strings to bring out the tone of a guitar. A wood guitar that is.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Rick View Post
I use lights on my dread strictly for comforts sake. Mediums will give you more volume and power but if you play plugged in most of the time what's the point?
And that's pretty much it. As B. B. King is reputed to have said to Billy Gibbons, "Why you workin' so hard?"
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 AM

I use the heaviest strings possible to maximize tone but it really depends on the music you play.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Orthopedic surgeons, especially those with children in college, recommend mediums on all guitars.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 03-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
And that's pretty much it. As B. B. King is reputed to have said to Billy Gibbons, "Why you workin' so hard?"
Yep, did a gig with Billy a few months back at Skyville, here in Nashville and he uses 6s! A company in Mexico makes them for him. Kenny Greenberg told me this and he said the same thing, 'Why have I been working so hard?"
Old 03-03-2017, 10:13 AM

I put some lights on my Taylor 322ce: much more comfortable to play and much easier bending (that is the reason I got a cutaway 322). The only time I play unplugged is when I practice by myself and rehearse with my playing partner. When we play out it's always amplified, so to me the volume increase of a higher gage string is a useless moot point. Haven't had one person in an audience call me out for lights on my guitar instead of mediums... The guitar sounds great with the Elixir Nano-lights I use. I have a total of four acoustics, the other 3 are: Martin D15M & GPCPA3 that I use Martin SP Lifespan strings on, a Gibson AJ w/Elixir Nano med's. I use coated strings on all of them since they rotate around and I prefer to get longer life out of my strings.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:24 AM

Mediums on all my guitars.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 03-03-2017, 10:24 AM

I always preferred mediums...
Old 03-03-2017, 10:25 AM
Guest316

Quote:
I wonder how many prefer to use light gauge strings on their dreadnought and why ? And why mediums ? I have a new Martin MMV with Elixir Medium and I wonder if it would lose some power and tonal quality if I switch to light strings?
I use mediums (13 to 56) on my Gibson dread. I'm the lead instrument in a church worship band, and mediums deepen the tone and add power to the instrument - yes, even through the sound system. Plus, mediums increase volume and power for living room unplugged sing-alongs.

However, all guitars - especially high-enders like your Martin and my Gibby - have their own personalities and should decide for themselves what brand and gauge of strings work best for them. Mediums may do what they do on my axe, but may have a completely different response on another dread. Experimentation is warranted here.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:13 AM

I've recently tried some Elixers HD lights which I believe are a mixture between light and mediums... Kind of the best of both worlds and I like the sound I'm getting from my dread with them... I use lights or custom lights most of the other time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wonder if my Martin MMV is lightly braced or not ? If it is it would probably handle lights very well. If it isn't, I guess that Mediums are the right choice. Is there any owner of a Martin MMV who could comment in addition to TwoMartinMan ?
Mine came with mediums. I go back and forth between mediums and lights, and have also tried the hybrids like bluegrass and true medium strings. There is no doubt the sound is louder and to my ear a bit more pleasing with mediums, at least when strummed with a pick. For finger style with bare flesh I don't notice much difference.

When someone finds a definitive answer and the science to back it up please let me know Seems like when I have mediums on I say man, lights would be easier on the hands, and when I'm using lights I miss the fuller sound of mediums.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion