The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 AM

Default 4 year old signed my 12 string

Hi all - newbie member here.

My 4 year old grandson decided he was going to sign my Martin D12X1 with a pencil he found. The guitar was on a stand in my bedroom.

I told him I hope he grows up to be another Eric Clapton because I will have a guitar signed by him.

Anyway - it has a satin finish. Is there a way to remove the marks or do you think a luthier has the ability to do it?

Thank goodness it was a lower cost Martin. Should I worry about it ?

Thanks

-Pat
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 AM

Did you try an eraser?

I would try a cleaner like Fantastik on a cloth (do not spray directly on the guitar) to remove the graphite. Just dampen the cloth with the cleaner and rub the marks gently. A polishing compound will remove the marks but will leave a shiny spot on the satin finish.

If your grandson had a heavy hand, the pencil will leave indentations that might lessen with judicial application of steam (causes the wood to swell and push out). If that doesn't work and you want to restore it to "new" condition, bring it to a luthier who can sand down the area and blend in a touch-up finish.

All of my guitars eventually end up with a few bumps. nicks and scratches, so if it isn't too big of an area, I would let it be after removing the pencil graphite.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Dan - Charter Member

A kneaded rubber eraser (kind of like putty, used for art) or, second, a vinyl eraser (Staedler Mars or similar ,often used for drafting) might work if a cleaner like Fantastik does not. The kneaded eraser picks up graphite because it's tacky. Use very gently. You may need to polish a bit when you're done.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM

I would be proud if your 4 year old grandson can write.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I told him I hope he grows up to be another Eric Clapton because I will have a guitar signed by him
Not if you remove his art work. I'd keep the signature right where it is and make sure to hand the guitar down to him someday. I'd also have a picture taken now of you and him with the guitar to pass along someday as well.

Tom
Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 AM

I'd leave it because it's a momento.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 12-03-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:41 PM

I can understand a reaction, but in the grand scheme of things, your grandson's signature makes that Martin unique and priceless.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 PM

Think about trigger and you won't feel so bad.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Default 4 year old signed my 12 string

I saw a 1944 Martin d18 at the Nashville guitar show today. It had a name carved into the soundboard, yes carved along with some other nonsense carved in there, price tag said $17,000. So I guess just wait 70 years and that signature won't devalue at all
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 AM

Buy a kazoo for the kid so he has something to do with mom and dad on the long drive home.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Buy a kazoo for the kid so he has something to do with mom and dad on the long drive home.
Awesome!!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

I see it's an X series, but does it have an HPL top or is the top solid wood?

If it's HPL, you should be able to clean it with something like Fantastik like someone said before. If it's a wooden top, the art gum type eraser, (something very gentle), would be my first try.

But I have to admit, while I wouldn't want my grandchildren to write or draw on my guitars, the idea of leaving it as a memento is a pretty neat idea. I also love the idea of handing down the guitar to him someday.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM

It really depends on whether the pencil point has compressed the lacquer into a mini valley or, if the pencil mark is just sitting on the surface of the lacquer with no real indentation. If it's sitting on top, then as suggested, try various erasers. If its compressed the lacquer, and you're that bothered - you seem fairly laid back! - then it needs to go to a luthier who can build up those valleys with the correct lacquer - having first got rid of the graphite of course!
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 AM

"Simple Green" is the cleaner I use to remove pencil lines from both raw and finished wood in my other hobby, woodcarving.

i would try a little of that on a toothbrush.
Good luck.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie51 View Post
Not if you remove his art work. I'd keep the signature right where it is and make sure to hand the guitar down to him someday. I'd also have a picture taken now of you and him with the guitar to pass along someday as well.

Tom
Ditto! And amend your will to make sure he gets the guitar and the pic should you be called away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair