The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for responding...

Some of the luthier made "modern" guitars can suffer from some of the weaknesses that you described in the context of your experience with Lowden (some people like them like this). Some of the lack of clarity that you describe in Lowden's I have experienced in some guitars by builders that you have listed. That said, some of them may be able to voice their instruments for your needs. Conversely, some more traditional builders can voice their instruments to have some of harmonic complexity that you like as well.

I really think you need to play some builder's work to see how YOU like it. It is also helpful for a builder to observe you playing, your touch, style of music etc. This will help them better understand your needs. I don't know where you are located, but attending the west coast show (SBAIC in late August) or east coast show (Woodstock in late October) would be your wisest move in my opinion. Is this a possibility for you? If it is, I can look at the builder lists at the shows and suggest who you might check out. If you are interested, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizen View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding.

I have played a lot of Lowdens (being based in Ireland, I have good access to them, but nearly all are standard O20s or O30s - mostly cedar or spurce over /walnut rosewood or hog). I do like how they sound, but would love a bit more clarity from them. They tend to have a sort of reverb that is lovely on fingerstyle and single notes, but can hinder lead lines through strumming. They always sound best in alternate tunings. If I found the right Lowden that was somewhat more clear and punchy, I would jump on the opportunity to purchase it.

I have never really like Gibsons (all new however). they appear dull and flat to me. Martins I have played, most are good, but really nothing special. They are the datum if you will. The Collings I have played have been hit and miss - an OM2 was nice and i liked the responsiveness. However i had a custom CJ built for me and it did not impress. It sounded choked to me. It also played very stiff! I had a Martin D28 Authentic 1941 but it sounded far far to brittle / brash / harsh to my ears. I have a Taylor 712 at the moment, plays really nice, tone is ok, if a little too compressed and nasal.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 AM

I think yours is a question without an answer. If it were me, I'd need to play the guitar. Not the brand and model - the guitar.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Your reply to ' iim7V7IM7' about how you like Lowdens but want something with more clarity and 'punchy' is how I view my McIlroys (Cedar/Walnut and Sitka/EIR) great guitars and different from one another to be both keepers, but don't do it all.

I looked for something different, perhaps more like what you are looking for, and found it in a 'Taran' (Swiss Spruce/ Cocobolo) made by Rory Dowling in Scotland. Responsive, with a sharp attack (but still enough sustain) and really full tone, especially noticeable in the trebles. Not on your list, I know, but nearer home (apart from the Lowdens) of course.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 07-25-2017 at 01:03 AM. Reason: link removed
Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 AM

Of the ones you list, I have only played Petros (own two of them) and Lowden. So far, I haven't played a Lowden I liked. From reviews, I thought they'd sound like Goodalls, but they don't (at least not to me).

Bruce Sexauer posted a link to one of his in this thread . . I can vouch for his guitars, too (own a couple).

I would also look into Tim McKnight's guitars. I own 7 of these. Wonderful instruments.

Greven is also worth looking into (own a couple of those).

But my #1 recommendation is to go to the DreamGuitars website and check out their video samples of the guitars. Be sure to use the Advanced Search so you can also see guitars that they've already sold.

Al Pettaway plays most of these tunes (but not all), and I think the videos do a very good job of showing you what they'll sound like. The only drawbacks are that Al doesn't always do the same song for each guitar (makes comparison a bit trickier), and Al could probably make wet cardboard sound great.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:34 PM

This is the tone I am looking for. Clarity sums it up

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/20...-european.html

Great bass and crystal clear highs
Old 07-24-2017, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Circa makes great guitars. This is a 12-fret model, but they are all nice. I would consider this to have a "traditional" sound (maybe others don't ???), but when you find what you like that's all that matters. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:

As a matter of fact, I would have suggested among others Circa guitars had you not limited your range of guitars to be considered to the selected few that you have listed because his base price is below your limit. Now although John Slobod made his name building replicas of the traditional pre war Martin guitar he told me that he actually has two different bracing designs which uses depending on what his customer would prefer.

Based on the single circa guitar that I have played which is a adirondack Brazilian OM, he's able to achieve and ideal Fusion between the modern and the pre war traditional tonalities. Personally I don't like as much the replica guitars that are made by some of the builders who are reputed to be able to get the pre-war sound in their modern remakes. Although I like the fundamental clarity and power that is achieved, I usually prefer more air and three-dimensional presence, a slathering of more overtones and especially tonal bloom. The circa guitar that I play has those qualities, great bass, warmth, and great responsiveness as well. On top of that, it also has what has to b3 e industry leading levels of fit and finish.

However the catch is that a Brazilian Circa guitar would cost substantially more than your upper limit. I don't know if a eirw or maple circa would be what you still like in tonality. Yoi should contact John Slobod and see what he thinks if you liked the Baughman dreadnought.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:45 PM

Hey Prizen

I just remembered there is a guitar that you may be interested in (i have no interest or gain from that guitar) and i hv sent you a PM for you to follow up on it if you are interested in it. Happy hunting.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:

So buy that one.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergoetal View Post
So buy that one.

That is good advice!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:

12 fret moded dread - with tone like that - a Bourgeois Simpson Sig Model and leave the rest of the money in the bank.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergoetal View Post
So buy that one.
Doesn't have the nut width I'm after
Old 07-25-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volman View Post
From that list...I have only played a Doerr and a few Lowdens. The Lowdens were nice and I couldn't fault them for anything. From what you want, I would not say that they played like an electric. Comfortable neck profile, but not any noticeable difference from the Larrivee I used to own (also a great guitar).

As for the Doerr, I just got my custom built Doerr Solace Sinker/Coco in a couple weeks ago. Tom knocked it out of the park. Very much a modern tone and plays almost as easy as the PRS electrics I have owned...very fast. The fit and finish is outstanding. You should definitely give him a call and tell him what you are looking for.

You certainly have some great builders on your list. Wish I had some experience to share about some of the others.
Doerr is not as well known but his guitars, especially the lattice braced ones, are insanely responsive and tonally exceptional. Much like Mark Hatcher's guitars....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

If you're based in Ireland, I would very strongly recommend making the hop over to England to visit AGF sponsor the Acoustic Music Company down in Brighton. They have a huge range of luthier-built guitars (some, but not all of the builders you listed) that you can play til your heart's content.

I guarantee that you will be surprised. Some guitars you will have heard lots about will do absolutely nothing for you; some you will never have heard of or dismissed you will love.

One of their stock guitars may be the one for you, or you may find something close but want to order a custom to refine tone or cosmetics. But you'll have a much better chance of achieving a successful guitar than a complete shot in the dark - the money spent on the trip could well save you from an expensive mistake.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Smile Late to the party...

Major John Kinnaird fan here.

Own three! And another on order... my pal Steve ordered one after he heard my second one.

JK worked with me to do a custom super slim and asymmetrical neck, which is the most comfortable neck I have ever experienced! And his bevels and ports really add to the comfort and sound for the player, while taking nothing away from the audience!

I have not played anything that sounds better. I have not played all the builders you mentioned, but I have played a bunch of them.

I'm playing a ton in senior and healthcare facilities. Almost always acoustically. Meaning no amplification at all. John's guitars are really loud, FAT, balanced and warm. For what it's worth, I play with a thumb pic and bare fingers. Sometimes flesh, sometimes nails. John's guitars sound great when my flat picking friends give them a work out, as well.

I have not experienced Steve Kinnaird's guitars, but I understand from A number of my forum pals, that they are outstanding as well.

I am sure it would help you to play as many of the builders you are looking at as possible, as many here pointed out already!

Best of luck on your search, and enjoy each guitar…

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop