The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 PM

Default Alternative to QSC Touchmix for acoustic players

I'll get this out of the way right now; I'm a minimalist, even if it costs more to get set up at the outset.

With that in mind, I'm enjoying being able to actually carry all my gear in one trip, including guitar and stand, wireless, mic and stand, pa system (JBL Eon One), guitar/vocal processor (Boss VE-8) and lights. Ideally done in two trips, but not that bad if I've got someone to open the door.

I'd like to add a mixer along the lines of the ultra-compact QSC Touchmix, but would like to see if there is anything else out there, even if it's expensive, that could give me at least six channels and give me internal processing that would negate the need for the VE-8.

Sure would be nice to have a regular patch bay of some sort present as well.

I'm also willing to be convinced that the QSC is already exactly what I'm looking for, but it would be nice to hear it from the perspective of another acoustic soloist/singer.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 PM

You could look at the Behringer X line. XR12 or XR16 or even the XR18. I had the XR16. Great unit. I also had the Allen&Heath QU-Pac, another fantastic unit. Still have it for larger jobs.

Recently I got the Touchmix 8 for solo and duo acoustic stuff. I really like it. Believe it or not, I like the form factor. I used to think I had to have rack gear. This thing comes in it's own carrying case and If I want to put it on a table or even a music stand within arms reach, I don't really need an Ipad to control it. I can do if from the touchscreen. Most of the time after I get a soundcheck, I only need to rarely move faders just for volume changes. I can setup a user button to mute effects for talking between songs. Pretty easy setup and just one light carrying case to lug in.

I will say, of the three units, I thought the QU-Pac sounded best, but I've had it longer and have had more time to dial it in.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj61 View Post
You could look at the Behringer X line. XR12 or XR16 or even the XR18. I had the XR16. Great unit. I also had the Allen&Heath QU-Pac, another fantastic unit. Still have it for larger jobs.

Recently I got the Touchmix 8 for solo and duo acoustic stuff.

I will say, of the three units, I thought the QU-Pac sounded best, but I've had it longer and have had more time to dial it in.
I like the looks of all these units, especially the Allen & Heath QU-Pac, but they're far bulkier than I'm willing to pack, and a great deal of overkill.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
I like the looks of all these units, especially the Allen & Heath QU-Pac, but they're far bulkier than I'm willing to pack, and a great deal of overkill.
Yes indeed.

One thing for me which I like about the QSC and the A&H stuff is the ability to record multitrack without having to bring a computer. I've recorded 5 hours in one night on the QU-Pac on one thumb drive. The QSC will do that also, I believe, although they recommend an external hard drive.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 AM

it depends which VE-8 features you want to retain. The TM can give you reverb, compression, chorus, and one channel of pitch correction, but will not provide harmonies. I'd imagine that a compact form factor mixer with some vocal-specific effects like de-essing and a footswitchable harmony generation capability, along with advanced mixer functions like anti-feedback, room-tuning, automatic gain control, etc., would sell very well, but nothing like that is presently on the market.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

QSC has full control of each channel separately from the others, including infinite mid-control as well as all other EQ for each channel. You can save it, and every different set-up for every guitar too. You can save each "club" eq you prefer if you're doing multiple places. They pretty much thought of everything, and lot's of stuff I'm still learning on too.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

HK Audio in Germany has an iPad app the provides advanced digital mixing capabilities for their Nano 608i system. It could be a viable alternative to the QSC but you have to buy the 608i and have an iPad.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 AM

I would just get the QSC Touchmix. I have had the TM16 for a couple of years now and I can't say enough good things about it. Before I switched to QSC everything, I was lugging around speakers that were 50lbs+ and a Yorkville mixer that was at least 25lbs. Now I carry around two K12's that are around 30lbs and the insanely light TM16. With the newest software update, the touch mix is insanely hard to beat. The sound quality is awesome and it literally does everything. I can't think of anything missing.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:15 AM

Default Alternative to QSC Touchmix for acoustic players

Unless you already take an iPad with you to the gig, the TM8 is the best option. I tried pretty much everything else.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-25-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
it depends which VE-8 features you want to retain. The TM can give you reverb, compression, chorus, and one channel of pitch correction, but will not provide harmonies.
The VE-8 features that I'm using right now is limited to the individual reverb for both vocals and guitar, tremolo and de-quacking for the guitar and that's it.
I've always been a minimalist when it comes to adding sounds that people aren't making and won't let a singer who isn't there join me when I'm the only person up there. Doesn't bother me so much if there's a full band, or at least two real singers onstage, but since it's just me, no synthetic harmonies.
I didn't like the way the doubling was done on the VE-8 either. It sounds like a delay of sorts rather than the vocal thickening that studio created doubling gives.

Quote:
I'd imagine that a compact form factor mixer with some vocal-specific effects like de-essing and a footswitchable harmony generation capability, along with advanced mixer functions like anti-feedback, room-tuning, automatic gain control, etc., would sell very well, but nothing like that is presently on the market.
I have a feeling that it won't be long before we start seeing some products like that come along and I won't be at all surprised if I find out about it here first.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
it depends which VE-8 features you want to retain. The TM can give you reverb, compression, chorus, and one channel of pitch correction, but will not provide harmonies. I'd imagine that a compact form factor mixer with some vocal-specific effects like de-essing and a footswitchable harmony generation capability, along with advanced mixer functions like anti-feedback, room-tuning, automatic gain control, etc., would sell very well, but nothing like that is presently on the market.
The Touchmix does quite of few of the things you want. Obviously not the harmony capability but IMO, that's a totally different market than what QSC are going for.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
QSC has full control of each channel separately from the others, including infinite mid-control as well as all other EQ for each channel. You can save it, and every different set-up for every guitar too. You can save each "club" eq you prefer if you're doing multiple places. They pretty much thought of everything, and lot's of stuff I'm still learning on too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I would just get the QSC Touchmix. I have had the TM16 for a couple of years now and I can't say enough good things about it.
I was so tempted to get a TM8 when they first came out, but kept hesitating for various reasons. It's still at the top of my list for potential purchase but I do keep hoping for something else to come out which ticks off a couple points I'd like to see, not least of which is a more traditional patch section.

Quote:
With the newest software update, the touch mix is insanely hard to beat. The sound quality is awesome and it literally does everything. I can't think of anything missing.
What are some of the updates and do they offer acoustic guitar processing so that I could sell off the VE-8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj61 View Post
One thing for me which I like about the QSC and the A&H stuff is the ability to record multitrack without having to bring a computer. I've recorded 5 hours in one night on the QU-Pac on one thumb drive. The QSC will do that also, I believe, although they recommend an external hard drive.
This right here is just another interesting nugget that is becoming so common with modern mixers and it's hard not to love the idea of plugging in an external drive and recording all your performances with no effort at all.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
HK Audio in Germany has an iPad app the provides advanced digital mixing capabilities for their Nano 608i system. It could be a viable alternative to the QSC but you have to buy the 608i and have an iPad.
I'm already planning on buying a Nano 608i at some time in the future!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:29 PM

I'm another happy Touchmix user. Since you need 6 channels, it's hard to imagine you'll find something significantly smaller than the TM8. I'm not familiar with your Boss unit, so can't comment on whether the TM can replicate everything going on there.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
I'm another happy Touchmix user. Since you need 6 channels, it's hard to imagine you'll find something significantly smaller than the TM8. I'm not familiar with your Boss unit, so can't comment on whether the TM can replicate everything going on there.
I'd be happy even with a 4 channel highly featured, but ultra-compact mixer. It may end up being one of the Allen & Heath mixers, but I'm keeping my options open for now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification