The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-22-2004, 11:49 AM

Default endpin on a custom guitar??

My custom Lakewood is about to start. Since I opt for no pickup, I figure that a regular wood endpin will be installed instead. However if I want to install a postmarket PU, would it be just simply replace the endpin with the jack? Correct me if I'm wrong: I wonder a hole might need to be drilled in order to accommodate the jack if regular endpin used in the first place. Or is there a special dummy endpin which can be replaced by the jack w/o drilling a hole at the bottom?
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 11-22-2004, 01:35 PM

All of the non-pickup equipped Taylors have a 1/2" endpin that can be removed for painless installation of an endpin jack. The other companies could likely easily manufacture a similar device.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:36 AM

The Taylor solution is a great one, but at the same time there's nothing like a matching endpin to round out a great acoustic. The hole will need to be enlarged to the endpin jack, should you ever decide to go that way, but the procedure should be of little issue to a professional should you ever want it done. And for those DIY-ers out there, don't drill to fit, get yourself a proper set of reamers and do it correctly. Using a hand drill can be a recipe for disaster, particularly if you've only got your two hands - keeping the guitar steady and the drill from moving can be a bit of a challenge, as an OM-21 I had can attest to. The "surgery" was successful, but it's not what I would have called a professional job - sort of an HMO installation.

Guess what I'm saying is, if you're not sure you want a pickup, go with a fine looking wood or ivory endpin. If you want to add the pickup later it shouldn't be an issue.

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be heard. - Proverbs 21:13

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion