The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Instructor in the Northern Virginia Area?

Hi all, over the past few months, I've had an impossible time finding a guitar instructor to help jump-start my learning curve.

I've reached out to five, yes five different instructors, and have yet to be able to get a lesson. Two have never returned my calls, two others take about two weeks returning a call or email (and don't seem the least bit interested in my business), and one is just not feasible, location-wise.

I've literally never had such a hard time spending my money! I am really motivated, but can't seem to find someone to reciprocate.

Please let me know if you can recommend anyone good who actually WANTS to teach.

thanks all,
Chris
Old 02-19-2017, 04:02 AM

So what part of NOVA do you live in?
Every Guitar Center and Music & Arts store as well as independent companies like Foxes Music and Alexandria Music offer lessons. This shouldn't be difficult.
Martin Custom OM42
Takamine C332
Prestige New York Special
Fender Jazz bass USA
Old 02-20-2017, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Chris,

Welcome to the AGF. I hope somebody here can give you a good suggestion on a teacher.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:20 PM

Chris

Welcome to the forum. Been taking lessons from Tom Espinola for most of the last 7 years and have been extremely happy. He is around the beltway in Md. If Bethesda or Tacoma Park locations aren't too far for you, feel free to send me a note and we can talk about what you are looking for in a teacher and if Tom might be a good fit.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Jeff, appreciate the reply. Unfortunately that's kind of a hike for me, given I live in Alexandria (and work in DC). Happy to discuss further, this seems to be a much more arduous process than I ever thought it would be! But in the end, if I find the right instructor and develop a good working relationship, I believe it will be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff2 View Post
Chris, Welcome to the forum. Been taking lessons from Tom Espinola for most of the last 7 years and have been extremely happy. He is around the beltway in Md. If Bethesda or Tacoma Park locations aren't too far for you, feel free to send me a note and we can talk about what you are looking for in a teacher and if Tom might be a good fit. Jeff
Old 02-22-2017, 09:17 PM

You are right that it is a hike from Alexandria or from downtown after work. I'll ask Tom if he has any recommendations. I do believe in the value of lessons.. besides all of the learning one would expect in terms of skills, technique, music theory, etc., the possibility of teachers having students with similar skill levels and interests who can be introduced and encouraged to play together can be a special opportunity. I play with 4-5 of Tom's students every week. This has been going on for a few years now. A couple of us play guitar and the rest play mando, mandola and octave mando. What could be better. Tom even comes to our jams occasionally and 'sits in' occasionally. What sort of lessons and music are you thinking about?

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Jusstonemore -- I also live in Alexandria, and my teacher is in Fairfax -- don't know if that's too far of a hike -- His name is Bill -- and his phone is 703-856-0391
Jim

Sharing halves your sorrows and doubles your joys!

2013 Taylor 314ce ("Cecelia" = patron saint of musicians)
1997 Taylor 414ce ("Winnie" - for my Mom)
Zager ZAD-50ce ("Tommy" - my stepbrother KIA Viet Nam)
Ibanez AM73B-TF
Seagull S6 Original ("Herbie," my Dad)
Martin X Series GCPX2AE
Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Jim, appreciate the response. I've actually spoken to Bill. Unfortunately it is clear that he doesn't have time for another student (or at the very least, a student who only has night and weekend availability). No worries, i'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChap View Post
Jusstonemore -- I also live in Alexandria, and my teacher is in Fairfax -- don't know if that's too far of a hike -- His name is Bill -- and his phone is 703-856-0391. Jim
Old 02-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Jeff, appreciate any references Tom may have. I'm not sure how to answer about what type of lessons i'm interested in...I'm so bad, that I just want to get better! Generally speaking, I love all acoustic rock, singer/songwriter stuff, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff2 View Post
I'll ask Tom if he has any recommendations. I do believe in the value of lessons.. What sort of lessons and music are you thinking about? Jeff
Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 PM

Have you checked with Alexandria Music Company? The owner there suggested a multi-instrumental teacher when I purchased a banjo there (who I never contacted).
Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemore View Post
Thanks Jim, appreciate the response. I've actually spoken to Bill. Unfortunately it is clear that he doesn't have time for another student (or at the very least, a student who only has night and weekend availability). No worries, i'll get there.
Understood -- he does keep nights and weekends open for his professional entertainer side! Gotta keep a roof over your head and food on the table somehow!!!

Have you looked into the Guitar Center that just opened on Duke Street in Alexandria. I believe they have lessons available as well. I've also contacted Bill and asked if he knew of anyone else. Will keep you posted.

Ibanez AM73B-TF
Martin X Series GCPX2AE

Last edited by NavyChap; 02-22-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:58 AM

My daughter's teacher comes to our home in Arlington. I'm not sure if he goes to Alexandria or not, but I can ask him if he does (and if he's taking new students). I'm going out of town in a day and might not learn anything until I get back next week, but feel free to send me a PM for follow-up.

BTW -- that Foxes Music suggestion might be worth a follow-up too. It's a family music store ranging across a broad spectrum of music (heavy duty school orchestra supplier) and a bit of a zoo on weekends, but they have experienced and trained musicians around and connections to all sorts of people. I don't know who might be offering guitar lessons at the moment, but it might be worth showing up and chatting with one or two of the guitar guys to see who they suggest.

And maybe DC Bluegrass Union?

Last edited by djg; 02-23-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the suggestions, feel free to PM me on what your daughter's instructor says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
...but I can ask him if he does (and if he's taking new students). I'm going out of town in a day and might not learn anything until I get back next week, but feel free to send me a PM for follow-up.
...BTW -- that Foxes Music suggestion might be worth a follow-up too.
...And maybe DC Bluegrass Union?

That's actually where I took my very first set of lessons. It was ok at the time, particularly for total beginner lessons, but I haven't checked there recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
Have you checked with Alexandria Music Company?
I have stopped in there (twice, actually) but wasn't particularly impressed either time. Thanks for checking back in with Bill, hopefully you'll get a response from him a lot more quickly than I did! Not digging on him, he was super nice, but come on...10 digits ain't that time-consuming to dial.
Quote:
Have you looked into the Guitar Center that just opened on Duke Street in Alexandria....I've also contacted Bill and asked if he knew of anyone else. Will keep you posted.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Have you looked on Craigslist???

Ibanez AM73B-TF
Martin X Series GCPX2AE
Old 02-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

LOL, sure did...that's where I started. I also used ThumbTack, from which I got a few pings.

I have a meet-and-greet with a potential instructor who is in Alexandria this Sunday evening. We'll see how that goes!

Quote:
Have you looked on Craigslist???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion