The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Is a $100 classical a waste of money

Something tells me it is. I played a couple at the local GC and one sounded much better than the rest, but knowing steel string guitars, $100 doesn't buy much and I don't see why classicals would be any different in that respect. However, one thing I did notice is that the classical prices range from $99 to $1,000 and steel string guitars range from $100 to $4,000 and up.

I was/am tempted to get the classical I played that sounded good for the $100, but for $10 I can put nylons on my Seagull.

Somebody talk me out of it!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:02 AM

I picked up a Yamaha classical on consignment at a local shop for under $200, and it sounds darn good compared to my former teacher's much more expensive classical.

Ken
Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 AM

If you play it and like the way it sounds then buy it. Putting nylon strings on a seagull won't do much. Not enough tension to produce volume. Real Classical guitars can be well over $10,000 but you won't find them is guitar center. There is not enough customer base.

The bracing is different because the nylon strings don't have as much tension. A $100 guitar will either get you hooked or have another "tried but not for me experience."
Old 12-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

To answer your question briefly, yes I believe $100 for a classical guitar would be a waste of money...for me.

Longer version. I've played some $100-$200 steel string guitars that, if you want to strum chords and you don't mind a 1-11/16" (or smaller) nut width, were quite cheerful and fun to play. I did an extensive search locally for a $200-class nylon string guitar and there was nothing cheerful about them. Eventually I found one that would play in turn with itself up the neck but it sound approximately like plucking a piece of nylon fishing line stretched between your hands, no "guitar" sound or variation in tone possible. But most of them just weren't playable anyway and if they had any sustain and resonance at all it was only on the wound strings.

Now let me qualify that opinion by saying that I've never played a guitar through a pickup (other than a Strat or a Tele I mean) so obviously if you're shopping the acoustic/electric end of the market your requirements and taste might be totally out of sync with mine. But for trying to make a sound like a classical guitar acoustically I just don't think it can be done for $100 or even twice that much.

I'll make one other comment prefaced by a totally sincere With All Due Respect...

I've discovered that all cheap guitars are a waste of money for me. As long as I have one good guitar for the type of music I'm playing at the moment (steel-string fingerstyle, classical, what have you) I could have 20 crummy guitars sitting around and I'd never pick one up for more than five minutes. I can't play much but for better or worse my ear is attuned to hearing a nice, resonant and expressive guitar tone. Even if only 5% of the time my playing is "right" I don't want to waste that moment on a dead-sounding guitar. If what floats my boat were some sort of strumming or picking style there may well be inexpensive guitars that sound great but for my kind of fingerstyle I've never seen one. Just one hacker's experience but there it is.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 AM

I think you can get a decent classical guitar in the $200 - $500 range.

Many serious classical players claim there is no big difference between many of the $300 classical guitars and those in the $1000 - $2000 range. In fact, that is the reason many recommend Yamaha or Takemine. You will have to pay $2500+ to get a "serious" classical guitar.

Check out Yamaha and Takemine in the $200 + range.
PRS SE Custom 24
Old 12-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
...I was/am tempted to get the classical I played that sounded good for the $100, but for $10 I can put nylons on my Seagull.

Somebody talk me out of it!
Hi Barry...
Don't do it...no, no, no!!!

Don't put nylon strings on your Seagull!!!

Did I talk you out of doing that? Or go ahead an put nylons on it and then you'll know why it's not a good thing.

Now, if you played the $100 classical and liked it, why on earth are you even discussing it with us? It's not likely to be your main instrument or you'd be asking us about the $500-$1000 ones.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Liberty Trio

If you are just curious about nylon string guitars, or are just beginning to learn classical guitar, then I would say "no, it is not a waste of money." It is probably money well spent.

If you are an accomplished classical guitar player, they the answer would probably be "yes."

A classical guitar will not have the volume of your steel string Seagull.

Likewise, putting nylon strings on your Seagull is not a good idea. We are talking two different KINDS of guitars. The Seagull is braced for the tension of steel strings. The Classical will not be braced the way a steel string guitar is braced and thus putting nylon strings on your Seagull will not produce the same tone as a classical. Thus you would actually waste your ten bucks to put nylon on the Seagull.

Plus, the neck is wider on the classical than on a steel string guitar. PLUS, you will have to re-notch your nut!!! The nylon strings are A LOT thicker than the steel and will not seat properly. So it will cost you more than the ten bucks for nylon strings, especially if you go back to steel at a later date because you will have to buy a new nut.

'87 Guild GF-30 Bld (blonde)
'89 Seagull S-Black Velvet
'06 R. Taylor Series 1 (koa)
All 3 Taylor Liberty Tree Guitars
2 mandolins, 2 dulcimers, 1 mandola, 2 bodhrans

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are."
--Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"
Old 12-26-2008, 10:50 AM

It all depends - if its for a kid , a 100 $ classical might be the right move ( of course one that stays in tune and scale is correct ) if you have a few years on you - i might suggest something in the 300-700 price range- Yamaha , Lucida ( used )
Old 12-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Now, if you played the $100 classical and liked it, why on earth are you even discussing it with us?
I'm with you on that... I'm never going to understand these kinds of threads. The guy finds a guitar in his price range which sounds good to him but he won't buy it unless a bunch of people here tell him it's okay? I don't get it.

The owners of this forum could make a fortune by printing stickers that say, "The purchase of this guitar was approved by AGF members." Sell 'em for $5 buck apiece. I swear they'd sell hundreds of them.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I was/am tempted to get the classical I played that sounded good for the $100
If you simply want a take-anywhere, easy to play around with guitar that nylon string-type tone will bring, then snap it up. I recently bought a martin Classical nylon string Backpacker for $100 on ebay just for that purpose. And I am happy as a guy who bought a $100 guitar can be.

I say spend the C-note and enjoy.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Now, if you played the $100 classical and liked it, why on earth are you even discussing it with us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
I'm with you on that... I'm never going to understand these kinds of threads. The guy finds a guitar in his price range which sounds good to him but he won't buy it unless a bunch of people here tell him it's okay? I don't get it.

Why ask? Because a mild case of GAS can be cured with a response or two of common sense. After over 7,000 posts here, this is the first time people objected to a thread I've started. I'm deeply hurt and dismayed.( NOT!) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
I think you can get a decent classical guitar in the $200 - $500 range.
Thanks for the replys guys!

My SoundCloud page

Old 12-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Is a $100 classical a waste of money
Not if you are having fun
Old 12-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Musical minimalist

if it were me, I'd find a way to spend a little more on a used Lucida or something similar that you could turn over if it doesn't work out without losing anything. If you buy a 100.00 instrument, I doubt you'll find too many folks banging down your door to buy it. Maybe a local Craigslist sale for a beginner, but it's a harder sell and you'll probably lose half (unless it's used already)

Old 12-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Why ask? Because a mild case of GAS can be cured with a response or two of common sense. After over 7,000 posts here, this is the first time people objected to a thread I've started. I'm deeply hurt and dismayed.( NOT!)
Hi Bern...
I didn't object to your thread, just wondering why you'd ask. You are a big boy now and can make up your mind - and I really hope we don't hold sway over people's lives with our opinions on this site!

I'm still trying to talk you out of putting nylon strings on the Seagull, but if you are determined, then invest the $10 and get it over with...then buy the $100 classical.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm still trying to talk you out of putting nylon strings on the Seagull, but if you are determined, then invest the $10 and get it over with...then buy the $100 classical.

You did say in another thread that high tension nylons might work, but I put Martin Marquis strings on my folk and I like them alot. I'm going to play the nylons again and make a decision.

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion