The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-20-2017, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

...i've played music essentially every day of my life for fifty years or so.......and there is quite a bit of music i hear but don't "get"...i guess i'm equating getting it with appreciating it...(not to be confused with liking it).. i contend that is not possible to connect with everything you hear....

...if what SM is referring to is the performance aspect of music...i don't get all of that either....a lot of it i do though and i'm not sure that it has anything to do with my own personal involvement in making music...i have some friends that are absolute live music fiends...they can take in a whole lot more than i ever could...

...at the end of the day. despite my love of music and the fact that i have played so many kinds of music for so many years.. its only the very best players that can hold my attention and i often struggle to eat a whole one when listening to a lot of whats out there....

..btw...muso is a new term to me...i looked it up on the urban dictionary.....i've known a few muso's over the years....and might even be one once in a while....

Last edited by J Patrick; 02-20-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 AM

JB evidently did not "get it"......

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 02-20-2017, 09:54 AM

I've always loved music. As a child of the 60's and 70's, I knew all the top billboard hits and music took me to places that I couldn't attain from a less than ideal childhood.

I've been taking guitar lessons for four years now and I see music from a whole different perspective. I can hear chord changes, bass lines, etc. and it's so great going to a rock concerts where I can actually watch my childhood heros perform. I know what they're actually doing now from the different guitars they play, to the pedal effects, etc. I can actually play some of these songs now. A great feeling.

It's great to be challenged in my old age.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
JB evidently did not "get it"......

Still a charmless and unfunny moment in an otherwise good comedy ...
Old 02-20-2017, 02:12 PM

Suddenly, I am getting all my music at work via headphones (just moved to a terribly distracting location - life sucks), but I agree, few people really appreciate music, be it talking about it, or actually doing some of it,

H
Old 02-20-2017, 03:36 PM

I'm inclined to think many people don't "get" it, no.
I think it's similar to the way some people eat simply because it's a physical requirement, whereas others seek out culinary delights.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
I'm inclined to think many people don't "get" it, no.
I think it's similar to the way some people eat simply because it's a physical requirement, whereas others seek out culinary delights.
I like this analogy, separates maybe the ones that smell the roses along life journey's way,

H
Old 02-20-2017, 10:22 PM

I think most people get something from music but it's not necessarily what was intended or felt, and in some cases there is an amazing disconnect between the experience of playing it and how it is perceived.

Both the player and the audience have a role in that subjectivity. And they both underestimate their subjectivity, so the resulting spread of it on both sides is hard for us to understand because we don't know how big it is.

A lot of what feels like our personal reaction, is actually cultural bias. You can get a sense of this when people talk about music. So much of what they say is either relative to their own past, or to some type of value or aphorism about music that they describe, or to what they see, rather than saying things actually about what they just heard. They want to tell you something that makes them sound like a sophisticated listener, or a defiantly humble listener (which is another kind of sophistication).

I think almost all perception of music is a misunderstanding of one kind or another but that doesn't mean it doesn't have value or that it is a total misunderstanding.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:46 AM

I have a friend who is always trying to get me to listen to some type or another of progressive rock. With few exceptions, I am naturally repelled by music typically labelled as "progressive".
He has claimed that I, "just don't get it".
I reply that "oh yes I get it - I just don't want it".
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic