The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Behringer ADI21 is a very cheap preamp that would do the job with your dean Marlkley pickup. I think they are great value for money
I got one of these used for $20. It has a relatively low output and works very poorly with some low output passive pickups. On the plus side, it worked very well with the one soundhole magnetic pickup (Bill Lawrence mag) which I tried it with.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Hi IL…

If you want a very acoustic-like sound, I'd get both a new pickup and a different preamp.

The K&K Pure mini pickup ($80 + $30-50 install) combined with a Fishman Platinum Stage preamp ($119) is a very workable, and flexible, and adjustable option. I own both, and they are a great pairing.

I also own the Behringer ADI21 and it's fine little preamp. I use it for a loaner at gigs when people who show up without a preamp.

The Burgundy colored model (Acoustic V Tone) is the one for acoustic guitar. I just crank the blend to wide-open, and there is a level knob for output volume. It's really the best low cost option (equal to the Baggs Belt pack you looked at). Three way tone with adjustable mid frequency doesn't usually come in $30 preamps.

It's quiet, and has both ¼" and XLR out capability, plus signal attenuation and ground lift. If you are on a budget, it's a good option…certainly superior to the ART. Part of the economy side is it's built into a plastic case.

If you want more durability (as in rugged metal), and professional features, the Fishman Platinum Stage ($119) brings more options to the table, including selectable frequency bass cut, boost, input gain, phase, built in auto ground-lift, and three way power (battery, AC adapter or phantom).

It also has switchable bass/guitar modes, three way with sweepable mids, and it's ½ the size of a Baggs ParaDI and nearly a ¼ the size of it's big brother, the Fishman Platinum Pro.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-24-2015, 10:02 AM

Fishman and Baggs are both very good and worth the price. A decent preamp will make a big difference to sound. Personally, I would got with the toughest construction, metal rather than plastic.
Martin J40
Old 08-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Much as I like the RedEye, it's not $100. Used Baggs PADI still gets my vote

I agree on different PU, but OP needs to work with a budget.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have heard good things about the Baggs Gigpro but I decided to go with the MiSi - love the idea that I can have it in my guitar with no battery. it is re-chargeable. They are on back order so I am not due to have it installed until a week or so but I will report in about it. It will be paired with the PUTW #54 passive pick up that is already in my guitar.

Here's the link - http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/preamps.html

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-24-2015, 11:41 AM

Ugh! Mine did the same thing and I did the same thing as you!

Junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
+1 on this. The ART preamp was nothing but a noise box and quit after a very short time. I bought a new tube because it was not lit and I thought that was the problem. NO, something deeper went wrong. Into the trash.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:27 PM

To the OP: Ever play thru an Xotic EP Booster?

Recommended. Might be just what you're after.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 08-26-2015, 08:51 PM

I'm a fan of the PADI but unless your amp has phantom power, you can only power it with a battery.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 PM

Here's another vote for the Xotic EP Booster. I got one a month or so ago, and just recently tried it out. The only times I've played it was with my Ibanez TCY10E, just through the booster and into my Roland Micro Cube.

I can notice a definite difference in my sound, even with the knob turned all the way down. (Mine is an older model ["V1"] with bass boost. The newer version can be set to have unity gain when the knob is all the way to the left.) It's hard to describe, but I think "fuller" is a good term for now. I haven't turned the knob past its midpoint yet, so I'll have to experiment with it some more.

It seems like an effect you might switch on and leave on, even if you didn't crank it up much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification