The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2015, 06:37 PM

You can't go wrong with a Schertler, they are amazing and the one for sale on the forum is a very fair price.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 PM

+1 for a Line6 L2t FRFR powered speaker system or a Roland AC90. The L2t is just the easiest amp/PA to use and dial in for any room. The Roland AC 90 has a Sub woofer-out, so I bring a Hartke 1200, small bass amp, that when plugged into that sub-out makes for an amazing total amp/PA package (the AC 90 on a PA pole and the Hartke bass amp just on the floor - the bass is very unidirectional so it doesnt much matter where that sits). I use a Gibson Advance Jumbo w/DTar Wavelength pickup, Martin GPCPA3 w/Fishman Aura1 or a Martin D15 w/Anthem SL - all those guitars sound great through either of those amps. No more GAS for me in the acoustic amp category.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:50 PM

I'd recommend a Fishman... ;-). Couldn't resist.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2015, 01:20 AM

I am a very happy user of the AER Compact 3. Pricier than the Fishmans but in a higher league when it comes to sound. Two very good channels and also excellent for vocals. FX are simple but very effective. But for me, the best thing about the amp is its portability. You might argue that Schertler or Acus as as good but neither are as compact.

This will easily deal with a small room, bar or coffee shop.
Martin J40

Last edited by Andy Howell; 08-19-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:37 AM

I recently heard my Bedell (with K&K Pure Mini) through an Acus One-6 and came away pretty impressed. It was a short demo, but very promising. You might want to check it out, or the larger Acus One-8.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:52 AM

Not everyone goes for the full range sonic qualities of specifically designed and built acoustic amps like those made by Fishman, Bose, Schertler or AER.

Perhaps a set-up like the 2 channel Bogen Challenger 35w. mixer / amp / turntable combo, a gold-plated Realistic bullet mic with 1/2" screw-on connector and a pair of Atlas Banshee bullhorns on tripods might be just the ticket...

Last edited by Side Man; 08-19-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:26 AM

Thumbs up

I just got a Behringer http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/ACX1800.aspx ULTRACOUSTIC ACX1800

180-Watt 2-Channel Stereo Acoustic Instrument Amplifier with Dual FX and FBQ Feedback Detection

Reasonably priced and works great for small and large venues. I use it in my band to plug me and our other guitarist into separate channels and use the xlr outs to the mixer. It has a wide variety of effects with a two pedal foot switch. It makes things simple for us and it sounds great.

Perfect for a singer for vocals and guitar like it was intended. Go figure.

'13 Martin D-41
'15 Breedlove Parlor
'75 Sigma DM-5
'85 Yamaha LL-15
'94 Yamaha FG 460S-12A
'91 Martin Backpacker
'08 Johnson JR-410 Square neck resonator
'00 Godin A6
Fishman Matrix Infinity & Elipse Blend pickups
Old 08-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Schertler Unico. No "guitar amp" I've tried compares.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:34 AM

What about Ibanez acoustic series? Good affordable sound, light weight.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:25 AM

I have an AER Compact 60 and a Marshall limited edition in cream covering AS50D . With my Taylor the AER suits with a lovely sound , but with my Gibson J45 it's the Marshall all the way .This amp is totally 1st class in looks sound ,use and volume . I play in churches mostly and wouldn't use anything else the Marshall suits the L Baggs system hands down and I paid around the £300.00 mark new in a box from a good store .
For the money you would save you could but the new LR Baggs preamp pedal now that would be a cracking little versatile rig for most uses , don't forget the Marshall also has a DI and feedback system and the reverb is better than on the AER
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 08-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Schertler Unico

I aslo have a Schertler Unico and they are as good as it gets. They are bi-amped so there's plenty if nice clean low end. The vocals are wonderful as well, nice and warm. My only knock of them is the price and they are relatively heavy. However, weight is not a bad thing when referring to quality electronics. Unicos come up for sale at reasonable prices as compared to the cost of a new ones.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
I have not heard nicer vocals from any acoustic amplifier than the Carvin AG200. It's also great with acoustic instruments and bass. Add to that it's made right here in North County San Diego in Poway, California. Factory direct to the public. Excellent customer service, too. Ric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Unless you know someone with a Carvin, chances are you will have to buy one to hear one. Suffice to say my AG300 sounds fabulous for anything, including vocals. I would say you would need to spend Schertler or AER money to equal or better it.
+1. Very satisfied Carvin AG200 owner here. Can't imagine ever needing anything more.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-23-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Roy View Post
I aslo have a Schertler Unico and they are as good as it gets. They are bi-amped so there's plenty if nice clean low end. The vocals are wonderful as well, nice and warm. My only knock of them is the price and they are relatively heavy. However, weight is not a bad thing when referring to quality electronics. Unicos come up for sale at reasonable prices as compared to the cost of a new ones.
Yeah they are a little heavier but for the sound that comes out of them I don't let it bother me at all! On another note the heavier and stronger an enclosure is the better it can sound. Being a big audiophile I've learned this over the years. The less the enclosure flexes the more sound can be projected. As an enclosure flexes it loses energy (sound). There is even a big manufacturer that makes home audio towers and home theater towers. Most of them are made of stainless steel and heavily braced.

Take this one for example. It has 1 7" driver and a tweeter. It weighs 55 lbs.

http://magico.net/product/s15.php

And the big dogs at 1100 lbs each. Obviously these aren't something a normal person would have or afford for that matter with a price tag of $600,000/pr

http://magico.net/product/ultimate.php
Old 08-24-2015, 09:28 AM

After reading the previous posts, I'm going to do some research on Schertler.

Having said that, I had a Carvin AG100 that I loved. I left it to the church I was a member of when I moved away. They liked it for vocals better than their installed PA. Loud as hell, but I'd hesitate to road it much. It seemed like the chassis was pretty "delicate". I had a guy plug into a guitar channel with his guitar volume up --- it fried the whole thing. Had to send for a replacement chassis.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmikey View Post
What about Ibanez acoustic series? Good affordable sound, light weight.
I just bought an Ibanez Troubadour T30-N Acoustic guitar amp which adequately suits my needs perfectly. It has 2 channels, guitar and voice plus an Aux input for c-d and has a folding tilt stand and easy to store in my house. I like the tone and clarity of the lower tones and I also like to use the reverb for my vocals to make my voice a little more resonant. I will add some sideman backing on the Aux input later.The 30 amp is powerful enough for me as I'll only play at my home or for family and friends. My guitar is an Ibanez AEG10 Electric/Acoustic and I'm a retired senior and just want to have fun with my guitar and amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification