The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Question Soundhole Pickup Upgrade for Martin 000-15

I have a 000-15 (see below) that sounds quite good with the Fishman NEO-D Humbucker that I have in it now. However, the NEO-D lacks power and punch, so I think I'm going to upgrade to one of the following:
  • Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker
  • Baggs M1 Passive
  • Baggs M1 Active

My preamp is the Fishman Aura Spectrum (which blends in nicely with the NEO-D, BTW!)

I'm torn since the Aura Spectrum plays best with Fishman pickups, but I've been very pleased by all of the Baggs products I have owned.

So, which of the above would be the best choice? Anyone used one or more of these on an all-Mahogany, 000-sized guitar?

Thanks.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-16-2015, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

My second favorite sound hole pickup is a DiMarzio Angel. First is a Sunrise. The Angel (passive) sounds more "open" than the Baggs (to my ear). It's in the same ballpark as the Sunrise. It's a little known gem for $130. Looks cool too. Adjustable pole pics are a must if you want some punch.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
My second favorite sound hole pickup is a DiMarzio Angel. First is a Sunrise. The Angel (passive) sounds more "open" than the Baggs (to my ear). It's in the same ballpark as the Sunrise. It's a little known gem for $130. Looks cool too. Adjustable pole pics are a must if you want some punch.
Thanks for the recommendation. Don't think I'd even heard of this pickup before your post. FWIW, I had a Sunrise that I liked, but I thought it was too mid heavy, and it would take me forever to EQ satisfactorily (granted, I was pre-amping it with the Para DI and not the Sunrise preamp).

Yes, the "Punch" is very important to me for this guitar. I'd say punch is a defining acoustic characteristic of this guitar (i.e., when I want punch I grab the 000-15), but I don't get that plugged-in with the NEO-D2. Quite frustrating.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-16-2015, 05:44 AM

The Spectrum will work best with Fishman Matrix system. If you want to stick with soundhole mags, its probably best to not get a top-responsive mag like the M1 (with respect to compatibility with the Spectrum).

For my taste, the inexpensive Lace California is a more articulate and better sounding mag pickup than the Neo-D. The DiMarzio Angel (already recommended) may be an even better choice, especially if you'd prefer a pickup with adjustable pole pieces.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I have an M1A, an M1 and the Takamine hybrid of both and here's my observation. They both have very nice tone and punch. If you're a single note picker or finger style player the M1A is very articulate and punchy. If you're an aggressive strummer you might like the passive version better. It's a little smoother for strumming. But both are excellent choices.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-16-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmicko View Post
I have an M1A, an M1 and the Takamine hybrid of both and here's my observation. They both have very nice tone and punch. If you're a single note picker or finger style player the M1A is very articulate and punchy. If you're an aggressive strummer you might like the passive version better. It's a little smoother for strumming. But both are excellent choices.
I only have the M1 but I really, really like it.

I use it on my Seagull which is one of my slide guitars.

It does not reproduce the pure acoustic tone of the guitar - my K&K guitars get that sound.

The M1 sounds like a magnetic pickup on an acoustic guitar - which is what it is.

Works wonderfully with delay and/or chorus- the only effects I occasionally use on acoustic.

Here's what one sounds like. I get a sound similar to this:

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 08-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
I only have the M1 but I really, really like it.

I use it on my Seagull which is one of my slide guitars.

It does not reproduce the pure acoustic tone of the guitar - my K&K guitars get that sound.

The M1 sounds like a magnetic pickup on an acoustic guitar - which is what it is.

Works wonderfully with delay and/or chorus- the only effects I occasionally use on acoustic.

Here's what one sounds like. I get a sound similar to this:

Nice demo!! The active version us a bit brighter and more "acoustic" sounding. But since I'm a strummer I like the M1 like you use.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 08-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the great feedback! ( no pun intended )

Passive may be the way for me to go, as long as the pickup gives me the necessary "oomph". (The NEO-D is just so meek I'm still a little leery of passives).

I will say that I'm confident that I'll be able to pull decent acoustic tone out of any soundhole pickup. The Aura Spectrum is outstanding with the NEO-D...Maybe better than it performs with USTs!

Those of you who have the M1 (passive), are you happy with the output/punch?

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Like I said in my post I'm really happy with the punch of both M1 systems, but what is your playing style?
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 08-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmicko View Post
Like I said in my post I'm really happy with the punch of both M1 systems, but what is your playing style?
Let's say 75% strumming (usually hard strumming on the guitar that will have the soundhole pickup), and 25% Travis picking.

Music is solo and small ensemble acoustic Americana music.

Also, because of the feedback resistance I get with a soundhole pickup, this guitar is also my acoustic jam/join-in instrument to be played on loud stages and in assorted garages.

Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 08-16-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

+1 NEO-D lacks power and punch.

I'll probably be no help at all here, but...acoupla caveats or qualifiers re your situation. I mostly fingerpick with all 5 bare fingers. There's some non-pick strumming and slide in the mix. I no longer own any all-mahogany guitars.

I love Fishman products. I have the Rare Earth bucker in a cherry/spruce parlor and that works really well IMO. About a month ago I swapped a wimpy Neo-D that I'd picked up at a great floor demo price with yet another Rare Earth Humbucker; the guitar is a mahogany/spruce jumbo. Big improvement. When I've got all Fishman in the chain pickup >> preamp >> Fish Stick system, I think it sounds great. The Rare Earth to my ear doesn't give you acoustic replication, but I like the clarity and balance. Good slide tone.

My limited experience is active p/us are more powerful than passive. I have seen/heard this with other lines of soundhole pickups.

I also have a Breedlove mahogany/spruce dread that came equipped with an active LR Baggs Stage Pro Element - so, not the M1 - but that guitar sounds excellent plugged in. Again, clarity and balance but also a fullness.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 08-16-2015, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks again for this suggestion. I've been researching this pickup today, and based on: the overwhelmingly positive reviews, the video demo available here (Like all video/audio clips, taken with healthy skepticism, but, Wow - sounding Excellent!), and the fact that it qualifies for the accessory sale (15% off) at Musician's Friend this weekend, I just ordered one.

Plus, I think it will look pretty sweet on the guitar (see post 1).

I'll post my review here once I've gotten it and given it a workout.

Thanks again.

Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 08-16-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Thanks again for this suggestion. I've been researching this pickup today, and based on: the overwhelmingly positive reviews, the video demo available here (Like all video/audio clips, taken with healthy skepticism, but, Wow - sounding Excellent!), and the fact that it qualifies for the accessory sale (15% off) at Musician's Friend this weekend, I just ordered one.

...snip...

I'll post my review here once I've gotten it and given it a workout.

Thanks again.
Just gave the Angel a nice workout through my Aura and into my Carvin AG200. I LOVE it.

Pluses:
  • Excellent output for a passive pickup, and fine "punch".
  • Has a very pleasant, woody, complex, and "open" (as talkgtr described it) voice. Though not exactly true to the guitar's acoustic voice, the slight coloration from this pick-up is very pleasant and interesting.
  • As quiet as a church mouse.
  • EQs easily (much more easily than the Sunrise I had)
  • Sounds just fine directly into the amp.
  • Plays with the Aura images very well: softening, and getting noticeably more acoustic (though I frankly like it with some "pick-up edge" in there).
  • Has extreme sensitivity which picks up hammer-ons and pull-offs wonderfully.
  • Looks awesome! (see below).

Minuses:
  • Took some time to balance the poles (the Low-E string was very soft, while the B string was outrageously loud). Once set though, the overall balance is beautiful.
  • Has extreme sensitivity which picks up finger noise quite easily.

Grade: Solid A!

Overall I am thrilled with this pickup. It gives me exactly the tone I was looking for for this application.

Thanks all!

Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification