The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

An electric guitar amp is voiced to create a much more mid range focused tone, and to color the tone with speakers that in some case are designed to break up and give a hard edged tone. If it is a tube amp, in most cases the tubes can be overdriven for even more distortion.

An acoustic amp is designed to reproduce a wider frequency more akin to a PA speaker. The goal is to faithfully reproduce the signal going into it, not color it.That is why it is popular to use a powered PA speaker for acoustic. So while you can use a keyboard amp for acoustic, an electric guitar amp is going to be a poor choice. You could get by with an amp designed for jazz guitar...maybe.

My Carvin AG 300 uses the same power amp and speakers as one of their bass amps, the goal of both being to faithfully reproduce the input signal. It is a three way speaker system. Tweeters are common on acoustic amps to reproduce the overtones generated by acoustic guitar.

The EQ sections will also be dramatically different, with an acoustic amp geared to feedback suppression and taming muddyness common to the low mid range of a acoustic.

Other features you may find on acoustic amps are XLR inputs for microphones, input impedences geared to piezo pickups, phantom power, XLR outputs so the signal can be sent to the PA, and built in effects.

So they are very different animals.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
An electric guitar amp is voiced to create a much more mid range focused tone, and to color the tone with speakers that in some case are designed to break up and give a hard edged tone. If it is a tube amp, in most cases the tubes can be overdriven for even more distortion.

An acoustic amp is designed to reproduce a wider frequency more akin to a PA speaker. The goal is to faithfully reproduce the signal going into it, not color it.That is why it is popular to use a powered PA speaker for acoustic. So while you can use a keyboard amp for acoustic, an electric guitar amp is going to be a poor choice. You could get by with an amp designed for jazz guitar...maybe.

My Carvin AG 300 uses the same power amp and speakers as one of their bass amps, the goal of both being to faithfully reproduce the input signal. It is a three way speaker system. Tweeters are common on acoustic amps to reproduce the overtones generated by acoustic guitar.

The EQ sections will also be dramatically different, with an acoustic amp geared to feedback suppression and taming muddyness common to the low mid range of a acoustic.

Other features you may find on acoustic amps are XLR inputs for microphones, input impedences geared to piezo pickups, phantom power, XLR outputs so the signal can be sent to the PA, and built in effects.

So they are very different animals.
Now that is a good explanation. You've given me the excuse I need to get a new amp! Thanks!
Old 07-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetreebob View Post
What differentiates an "acoustic" amp from a regular guitar amp?
Hi Ptb…

Electric amps have limited bass reproduction, rather throaty voices, and are designed to overdrive quite easily.

My acoustic amps are sealed, tuned, ported with a woofer and high frequency driver and designed to produce full range sound, and lots of volume without overdriving.

My lightest tube amp (electric) weighs in at 32 pounds. My lightest acoustic amp is 14 pounds, and my go-to acoustic is 25 pounds. My acoustic amps have inputs for ¼" (guitar cable) and XLR (mic cable), and one even provides phantom power for condenser mics.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-19-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
I don't have to provide my own sound very often but when I do I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini. I agree it's good for use at home (sometimes I'll mike a recording through it when doing work tracks) and small venues.
Do you run your guitar and mike through the Loudbox at the same time when gigging? Does it work good in that manner?
Old 07-19-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ptb…

Electric amps have limited bass reproduction, rather throaty voices, and are designed to overdrive quite easily.

My acoustic amps are sealed, tuned, ported with a woofer and high frequency driver and designed to produce full range sound, and lots of volume without overdriving.

My lightest tube amp (electric) weighs in at 32 pounds. My lightest acoustic amp is 14 pounds, and my go-to acoustic is 25 pounds. My acoustic amps have inputs for ¼" (guitar cable) and XLR (mic cable), and one even provides phantom power for condenser mics.

How's your experience been running your guitar and mike simultaneously through your acoustic amps?
Old 07-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
How's your experience been running your guitar and mike simultaneously through your acoustic amps?
I would say that it would depend on the amp, the mic and each individual's ears. To me, vocals sound great running through the Schertler amps provided you are using a decent mic.
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 07-19-2015, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No problem at all with my Carvin AG 300. I just think of it as a powered PA speaker. If vocals are important to you, you need to do your homework. Some acoustic amps are great, some so so at vocal reproduction. I find that when you ask an amp to do more, bigger is better.

I also have heard a bunch of Loudbox Minis lately. For acoustic alone they sound great. Add vocals and IMHO not so much. I do know I envy their owners when they are carrying them. A very good price/performance product.

The Schertler and AER are great amps at a big price. The Carvin was the one for me as I need an amp I can play bass through.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 07-19-2015, 08:41 PM

Default AER & Genz Benz

I have an AER Compact 60 that I use for small venues and a Genz Benz Shenandoah LT150 for larger venues - both produce a rich natural sound and the Shen has a sweepable mid-range that helps dampen my Taylor's twang at louder volumes.

2006 614CE
2006 Custom Shop Tele Thinline
2006 Fender Precision Bass
1987 Maton Custom
1981 Fender Tele Elite
1989 Les Paul
Old 07-19-2015, 08:53 PM

I have both a Fishman Loudbox Artist and the Bose Compact. After getting the Bose I found myself using the Fishman less and less. When I do use it I find it's usually as as a monitor with my band.

I always dislike Bose and am surprised how much I enjoy it for solo gigs. They list for $999 but can be found on sale for $899. Easy to set up, cover a small to medium size room and folks seem to love the sound.

But, it's all subjective and there are some great choices out there...good luck!
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 07-19-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Carvin AG200 and AG300.
They sound like portable, high-quality PAs, but have all the features one would want in an acoustic amp. Highly recommended.
The Carvin AG200 and AG300 are the most naturally sounding amplifiers available for passive piezoelectric pickups available at any price and well below your stated budget.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Ptb…

All 4 of my acoustics are dual source (K&K Pure mini and internal mic).

They work great through my amps.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-20-2015, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
The Carvin AG200 and AG300 are the most naturally sounding amplifiers available for passive piezoelectric pickups available at any price and well below your stated budget.
Ok, please tell us if you are affiliated with Carvin. I consider myself the poster boy rah rah fanboy of AG 300 lovers and even I wouldn't make a statement like that. Shertlers sound great and so do AERs. And tell the design boys a piezo needs to see 1Meg ohm input impedance to sound it's best.Thankfully I have a RedEye so my signal is optimum at my Carvin's made in America by Americans inputs. And while you are at it, tell them the cover sucks.

Oh, and to me the AG 200 doesn't sound nearly as good.

So the AG 300 should be one of the amps anyone should consider and taking in the very decent price, could well be the one for you, but the best at any price? That is a bit over the top..

And if by chance you don't work for Carvin, why don't you see if they have an opening for ad copy writer.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 07-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Oh, and to me the AG 200 doesn't sound nearly as good.
Since I was planning to buy an AG 200 today, I'd love to hear more about this opinion.

Dave
Old 07-20-2015, 10:39 AM

The Schertler and AER lines are fantastic. Everything else I've tried (Ultrasound, Roland, Fishman, Fender, Marshall, Bose) employ compromises that make me head toward a powered speaker and a mixer.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I feel the 12" speaker in the 300 adds a solidness to the low end, and the tweeter captures overtones. If you call Carvin, they will have the same opinion, and the price difference is not that much. The 200 sounds good, the fuller frequency of the 300 sounds to me better, but in all things application is a factor. I need to play bass and Uke through mine. If size is important, the 200 wins, though weight is only 5# difference.

If I had to put it in a nutshell, the 200 is a guitar amp, the 300 more like a powered PA. Side by side with the 300 and the several acoustic amps I've played with, the 300 sounds bigger and fuller. I have not played the 200 and 300 side by side, just going by sound clips and Carvin customer service.

One caveat. The 300 has had a tendency for the low end to feed back if in close proximity to the cab, and I mean 2 ft away which you would normally not do.

The new line array speaker looks very good to me also, with an 8" speaker vs the 200s 6.
In no way do I view the 200 as a bad amp nor would I dissuade you if it meets your needs, and in a band setting, I could see it being better.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification