The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-26-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Options for Getting Plugged In

After a sabbatical of roughly 35 years, I started playing guitar again last year. I quickly realized that my prized 1965 Martin 000-18 was in need of restoration (neck reset, new frets, nut, saddle, and some body work). I was just getting my callouses back and didn't want to stop playing for the two months the luthier said he would have the guitar, so I purchased another instrument to practice on in the interim. I ended up with a very good deal on an Alvarez PD-90 (not a PD-90S) from an international student who had a fast-approaching flight home and very little time to get rid of accumulated stuff he couldn't take with him.

I have my beloved 000-18 back, and it plays like a dream. However, I realize now that there at times it would be nice to be able to plug in. I'm not going to install a pickup in the Martin, but want to keep it completely original. So I've identified three options for getting plugged in, and I would be interested in getting some opinions about how to proceed.

Option 1 would be to install a pickup in the Alvarez … probably a K&K pure mini. I like everything I've heard about that pickup, and the total cost would be a pretty modest $150 or so. (I could also do this without my wife realizing I'm spending more money on this hobby.) The biggest disadvantage is the fact that the Alvarez is a dreadnought and fairly heavy, and I am much more comfortable playing a lighter, 000 sized instrument.

Option 2 would be to sell the Alvarez (I could probably get $150 - $200 for it) and find a used acoustic electric in the $400 - $500 range. I'm thinking perhaps Seagull or Breedlove, but am open to all suggestions. The main disadvantage (other than the fact that my wife would catch on pretty quick) is that the pickup system might be inferior to the K&K.

Option 3 would be to sell the Alvarez, and look for a used acoustic-only similar to those in option 2, and have the K&K installed in that guitar.

You comments, please!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:09 PM

Why not put a K&K in the Martin?

That is what I would do (and have done) in new, used, custom, vintage Martins that come into my home. My '67 D-28 sports K&K, as did the '59 0-18 I used to own. My Custom Shop HD-28V (Adi over Amazon) got one as soon as I got it... I don't see any downside. The upside is expanding the versatility of your favorite guitar.

The only "serious" change is drilling the endpin jack and if you really are queasy about that, there is the Vintage Jack option. If you go that way, the only alteration to your Martin is three dabs of glue on the bridgeplate.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Ok, you do realize this is a slippery slope don't you?

Once you have a pickup, what are you going to plug into? Minimum IMHO would be a Fishman Mini. Then you might want a pre amp. And cords. Maybe a mic and mic stand. And cord.

No reason not to use your Martin. These days it might be a plus if you go to sell.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Hi BarreTheDoor,

Just wanted to say welcome to the AGF! I hope you like it here!

- Glenn
Old 08-26-2015, 02:02 PM

Hey, I didn't notice the fact of "First Post"!

Indeed, welcome! !

And a '65 000-18 is a sweet little guitar to say hello to the forum with!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM

Do you specifically want the tinny sound of a pickup or just the natural sound of the guitar? In the last case you could go for a microphone that clicks onto the soundhole such as an Audio-Technica PRO70, No need for drilling or glueing.

Amalio Burguet 1F
Amalio Burguet 2M
Sigma DR-28
Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
Fender CP-60S Parlor
Yamaha APX-T2
2 Old German Parlour
Hopf Baroque replica
D'Orso bass lut
Ibanez V7212 12
Cordoba Mini M in A
Cordoba Mini M in E
Yamaha APX-T2 Travel
Mahimahi Soprano uku
Epiphone Ultra I
Gold Tone Lapsteel
MPM 5 string Banjo
Marshall VS30R
Roland AC33
Yamaha THR5A
Old 08-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbekkerh View Post
Do you specifically want the tinny sound of a pickup or just the natural sound of the guitar? In the last case you could go for a microphone that clicks onto the soundhole such as an Audio-Technica PRO70, No need for drilling or glueing.

I actually have this very rig. I have gone completely K&K lately and would be will to sell it to you at a "used" price.

Steve
Old 08-26-2015, 05:43 PM

Hey Barre,

You need to consider how you will be using the amplified guitar. I play in a band and sometimes solo at noisy open mic nights. To be heard, especially to cut through the mix in a band, I've found the L R Baggs M80 to be the best for me. I went through a ton of pickups, money and feedback issues, etc. before settling on the M80.

A friend and fellow band mate plays a vintage Martin (I think the same model as yours) and uses an old D'Armond soundhole pickup and it sounds great.

Welcome back to playing and to the forum.

paulin
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 08-27-2015, 02:59 PM

Default Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. I've decided what I'm going to do ... I think.

I agree with kydave that having the K&K installed in my Martin makes a lot of sense. I'm not worried about it affecting the value one way or the other. I just like the fact that it hasn't been modified from it's original conditions (other than the restoration, that is). I've owned it for 47 of its 50 years, and it has certainly aged more gracefully than I have. That's why I'm not planning on selling it ever. In fact, I may choose to be buried with it ... which pretty much eliminates cremation as an option.

I've decided against a sound hole pickup. I've messed around with one of those and find them a bit obtrusive.

So, my plan is to have the K&K installed in the Alvarez. It's a nice instrument - solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides - and it does have a very nice tone (but nothing like my 000-18, of course). I'll give that a whirl and see how it goes. I can always sell it and have a K&K installed in my Martin, and the K&K should add to the resale value of the Alvarez, so no harm no foul.

As Brick noted, I could find myself on a slippery slope. But, even if that turns out to be the case, the downhill slalom that follows should be fun.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:16 PM

Hey Barre,

you can take a look at my solution:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=396239

I use a combination of a DPA4099 mic and a Sunrise with a blender preamp and the sound is as sweet as it could be. No modification of the guitar required.

Regarding the sound hole pickup... you said you find it obtrusive. Sound wise or optically? I can say neither for the sunrise....
Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 AM

Schau,

Danke sehr für die idee.

I guess I would say I find a sound hole pickup obtrusive psychically. I find knowing that there's a cable coming out of the sound hole, and knowing while finger picking that the device is lurking just below my finger tips to be a distraction.

Yes, I know it's all in my head (at least there's still something there!). It's just something I would rather avoid. I'm sort of like Linus (the character from Charles Schultz classic comic strip "Peanuts" who famously said, "No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from."
Old 08-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

As long as you don't mind the slalom, get a RedEye and an AG 200 or 300 amp.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification