The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Default Double soundhole-pickup scenario ?

I got a crazy idea this morning, stemming from my EBow experiments of late. I had started with a cheapo Woody pickup , just to see if the EBow /Acoustic avenue was worth exploring, and it turned out to be. So I got a Baggs M-1 and had some real fun with it. Then I crammed both pickups in my hole , and as you might expect, the sound was all muddy and useless (which seemed obvious after a bit of reflection and remembering things I'd read a long time ago) .

So, the crazy idea is about taking my beater guitar and cutting a second hole somewhere between the main hole and the bridge , to install the Woody , so I can get some cool stereo action going (with EBow as the main attraction , still).
The main question comes in not knowing if I can get enough distance separation in the space allowed , to keep the mics from delivering the muddy sound .

Also in play is the fact that the EBow has a very hard time stimulating strings within the first couple inches above the bridge , so I wouldn't want to place the aux. hole too close that way. Aren't condenser mics "supposed to be" at least 18" apart ? Do the dynamics of that hold true with hole pups ?

So... shoot it down cold, or let it fly ? Is this insane , or maybe a little crazy-like-a-fox ?

Oh yeah, and would angling the Woody away from the Baggs a little help?

=============================

Now I'm thinking of them in terms of electric guitar pickups, which aren't separated by more distance than what I am allowed
on the top of an acoustic guitar. I'm just not going to do anything without a lot more feedback !

Last edited by D. Shelton; 08-26-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:49 PM

I will not recommend the opening a new soundhole plan.
The position you are thinking is about the cross of the bracing, which is the center point of the structural support. Even it is beater guitar, I think you may have a risk of serious damage. I don't know have you seen Kurt Cobain's Martin D-18E. That could be the closest thing that I believe to be possible. A mini-humbucker could fit the little area behind the cross if your guitar is big enough
Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 PM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=280910
I hope pics work better than my words
(with credits to member 'unplug')
Old 08-27-2015, 02:46 AM

Ah..... of course . I did feel under the lid and the X-bracing is right there. I'm not ready, willing, or able to start messing around with that. What I need to do is look into a lowriding pickup that will just sit on top (is there even a pickup made with a low enough profile to fit between soundboard and strings?). Or, just blow the whole notion off, and go back to what I've already done: Baggs in one channel, and a condenser mic somewhere else , to preamp , in the other channel. But for the EBow work, it would be nice to have another pickup going...

Last edited by D. Shelton; 08-27-2015 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:20 AM

okeydokey, Baggs Undersaddle Pickup..... except that $300 right now
is too soon . Gotta play with my new pedals

But the beat goes on .... so...
will a piezo pickup work with EBow , or should I stick with coils?

ps: why, yes, I have many other silly questions !

Last edited by D. Shelton; 08-27-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:09 PM

Ebow will work on piezos as well since it is acting on the strings not the pickup
Old 08-27-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
Ebow will work on piezos as well since it is acting on the strings not the pickup

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification