The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 PM

Default Trouble with Prestige 330 pickup

I installed a Prestige 330 pickup from JJB Electronics in my Alvarez AP70SB. Supposedly the same as a K&K pure mini. It got great reviews when I researched it. Just as good as the K&K only at a better price less all the packaging.

I'm not happy with the sound at all. I'm wondering if I did something wrong when I installed it but I cannot think of what that may be. I have installed four other K&K's before in previous guitars and they all sounded great. JJB Electronics even links you to a K&K installation web site to use for instructions which I followed to a tee. I made sure each transducer was placed right and covered it with glue as instructed by the web site.

I have tried it directly into my amp and also through a XLR preamp. There is low volume, feeds back easily and sounds wompy if that's describes anything.

Anyone else experience this? Where do I go from here?
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the experience. I would contact JBB. Also, try to get your hands on a different preamp package or DI box to check the sound. It should sound decent straight through an amp. Tell us more about what you are looking for in a pickup system.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the experience. I would contact JBB. Also, try to get your hands on a different preamp package or DI box to check the sound. It should sound decent straight through an amp. Tell us more about what you are looking for in a pickup system.

My Larrivee and Seagull both sound great with the k&k,s in my set up as it is but when I plug the Alvarez in, not good.

I,m not in a loud band situation. Play for my own entertainment purposes but like to amplify for the reverb and chorus effect. I run through an XLR preamp into a Crate Gunnison acoustic amp.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 08-27-2015, 05:11 AM

I hate to say it, but it sounds like it is what you think it is. A bum pickup. You might need to request a refund and slap in another K&K.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2015, 01:02 PM

I've had similar experiences with K&K's as well. I added a Baggs PARA DI to the signal chain to cut the mids and the problem was solved for both the K&K & JJB's.

This can also occur if the transducers are not placed properly under the saddle and tight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification