The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-20-2014, 07:08 AM

These conversions are very cool. Such a great idea. Where do people generally find the guitars to convert?
Old 08-31-2014, 03:19 PM

The C-2 is all done.

This shows the 13-2/3 fret neck joint:

hreboredo: Not to be unhelpful, but you find them anywhere you find guitars for sale: music stores, Ebay, private party classifieds.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:40 PM

That's beautiful!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:42 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Looking great Howard. I hope to play one of your guitars one day.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:45 PM

Howard that's some pretty amazing stuff; I saw a really nice "conversion" for sale a while back but never know what it entailed. Thanks for sharing these... I now have to keep my eye out for a Martin to convert!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:43 PM

I have a question....what did you do with the top,Howard?
If you don't want it,I'll hang it in my new music room! I see Jimmy's question,why and I see why you did convert it.There was a lot of guitar minus the carved F hole top. Some folks like to keep stuff the same....
Jan
Old 01-18-2015, 12:56 PM

Sorry, Jan. My client had already promised the C-2 top to someone. I keep replaced tops and necks hanging from a rafter tie as shop decor, myself.

Yes, some people want the furniture of the world to remain unchanged--a losing battle if ever there was one. In my opinion, it is a net gain for the world when a mediocre archtop that no one plays is replaced by a great flattop that someone loves to play. I would preserve a true museum piece, and have gone out of my way to see that those with real historic value get preserved.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:22 PM

"Instruments are meant to be played".This is my mantra.I have even given some away so they could be used especially after my stroke.My down time was 6 years. Not that I had anything really great.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:49 PM

Have you put a torrified top on a conversion? Seems like a natural fit - torrified top and braces on an old back and sides.

TK
Old 01-20-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoehler1 View Post
Have you put a torrified top on a conversion? Seems like a natural fit - torrified top and braces on an old back and sides.

TK
Torrefied tops are not available through the usual tonewood suppliers. The ones used by Martin, Bourgeois, etc. so far as I have been able to find out are processed in Canada, and have to be bought in quantity, sight unseen. I can get one from someone with a connection to Martin, but I don't buy tops without at least seeing them and having a return privilege. I prefer being able to hold, flex, and tap them.

But I am far from convinced of the merits of the process. It is clear that while reducing the weight of the top, it also makes the top weaker and more brittle, and also impairs the adhesion of glue and finish. Some say that they are loud but one-dimensional in tone.

The notion that the process is a "time-machine" that duplicates natural aging to the year or era of one's choice is an advertising copywriter's fantasy.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:35 PM

Thanks Howard! Interesting to hear your opinion on terrified tops. I've never played one myself. The proof will be in the pudding as usual.

TK
Old 01-20-2015, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful looking guitar, Well Done Howard!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
The notion that the process is a "time-machine" that duplicates natural aging to the year or era of one's choice is an advertising copywriter's fantasy.
"Nothing kills a bad product faster than good advertising."

- David Oglivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoehler1 View Post
Thanks Howard! Interesting to hear your opinion on terrified tops. I've never played one myself. The proof will be in the pudding as usual.
Freudian slip?
Old 01-21-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
"Nothing kills a bad product faster than good advertising."

- David Oglivy
Huh? How is that supposed to work?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have played a torrefied (I like terrified) Martin, though just one. Always dangerous to make assumptions based on a sample of one! I could easily hear it as different that any other Martin I've played. It was almost unbelievably dry to my ear. I like dry in guitar, it makes it easy to hear the notes because the sound is clear and lacks overtone complexity. Another way to say dry is less lush. Or further, less "tone". In the case of the Martin I am referring to, and as I hear it, almost without tone at all. What it did have was volume and clarity. If I have built that Martin, I would be pretty disappointed.

People (and especially factories) seem to spend a lot of time looking for short cuts. Then they will promote them as the next big thing. In time, and only very occasionally, something actually turns out to be an improvement. When the standard one seeks to improve is as established as the acoustic guitar, revolutionary improvements tend to have downsides that become increasingly apparent after the first blush of discover dissipates. While it is possible that torrefication will turn out to be the exception, I doubt it very much. Also, I hope not, because something of the beauty of guitarmaking is lost for me when "processed" materials get involved.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop