The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Sounds like an intriguing instrument... I'm glad you are enjoying it so much already. I wonder how something like this would sound were it built with a smaller body size
Old 08-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

These instruments are jumbo sized at the lower bout (~16") but are much thinner at the heel (~3") and still less thick than a jumbo at the end block (~4"). I used to own a Martin M-38 (OOOO) for many years and the size feel is not too dissimilar but I would say the the Gypsy is actually more comfortable. The backs and tops however have much more arch to them. The cutaway is also flush to the neck (see below). So if you're thinking that these feel like a "Jumbo", they don't. Also, remember these guitars use silver plated copper wound strings (I use 11-45s) that are a bit different in construction and feel than traditional 80/20 or phosphor bronze strings.

Why are you interested in translating into a smaller instrument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
Sounds like an intriguing instrument... I'm glad you are enjoying it so much already. I wonder how something like this would sound were it built with a smaller body size
Old 08-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Why are you interested in translating into a smaller instrument?
I am a small fellow with a preference for playing small-bodied guitars. It's mainly a comfort thing.

Your guitar looks beautiful and your description of it's tone is intriguing. Having followed another thread with an interesting design http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=336250, I just wondered whether it would be possible to build a guitar such as your Lehmann Manouche on a smaller scale.

All the best, berf
Old 08-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Give Bernie a call and ask...:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
I am a small fellow with a preference for playing small-bodied guitars. It's mainly a comfort thing.

Your guitar looks beautiful and your description of it's tone is intriguing. Having followed another thread with an interesting design http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=336250, I just wondered whether it would be possible to build a guitar such as your Lehmann Manouche on a smaller scale.

All the best, berf
Old 08-05-2014, 10:11 AM

Default MiniMac

Several years ago I made a few Mini Mac travel guitars where the neck was set in a pocket like a electric and was held in place by aluminum channel and the strings. The strings had a "keeper" that slipped in a slot in the bridge for quick set-up. The string length on these were 21". One customer did a cross country tour on his motorcycle with a side car. The MiniMac was fit in a Haliburton brief case! I would be happy to make a diminutive model in between the full and mini sizes.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 PM

That's a very cool looking guitar Bernie... thanks for posting the pics.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Default 3-weeks in...

I wanted to provide a short update to the forum after having this guitar for about 3-weeks now. I have been traveling every weekend so my playing has been limited to week nights so I have about 8-hours on the guitar now, so I am getting a good feel for it. I am totally delighted with this guitar from Bernie. These guitars are really fun to play and in my opinion fall beautifully between an archtop and flat top in their timbre and amount of sustain.

My recording equipment is not set up right now but I will eventually put a recording up here so you can compare how these guitars timbre falls between an archtop and a flattop by playing a similar passage on each. In the mean time you will have to just read my words.

In short, this guitar is a joy to play!

The neck has a very comfortable profile and the guitar is set up with medium action. It has a comfortable scale length (25-1/2") and slinky/light string tension (Argentine Strings) vs. a longer scaled, traditional gypsy guitar (26-3/8"). While a large guitar at 16" across the lower bout, the body taper being narrow at the heel make it extremely comfortable.

Sonically, it is quite responsive to touch; responding to attack and has almost infinite amounts of headroom. While I have not performed with it, I believe that it projects well given its high headroom. The guitar has wonderfully crisp articulation with a strong emphasis on fundamentals with some euphonic overtones and sustain. Chords ring with a crystalline yet warm acuity that is a nice balance between the string and wood. It holds together well with balanced volume across the strings and meaty trebles even in the upper registers of the fingerboard.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I see that Bernie just completed another Model Manouche. This one was made with a Port Orford Cedar top and Malaysian Blackwood body. This one had a Frank Lloyd Wright design theme. Here's a video of jazz guitarist Steve Greene auditioning it.

Here's a somewhat more sedate video of me playing a few chords...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 04-16-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:23 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Very nice playing Bob. I really like the tone of the Lehmann.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Vintage Guitar Magazine

I received a note from Bernie Lehmann today. To my surprise, he informed me that the Roycroft themed grande bouche that he made for me last year is part of an article titled "50 Modern Acoustic Guitars" in the November, 2015 Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:47 PM

Default My Gypsy/Hibred

This is upon 000/OM platform but slightly wider. My first experience with a floating bridge acoustic and I'm very impressed. I will still be tweeking it for the next couple weeks. The pics are during initial set-up. I've been playing it for about a week now. The bridge has an Ebony saddle....I'm not using Gypsy strings yet didn't do this to sound like a Selmer type and really I wasn't sure what I was going for, except punchy, it is.....greg
I'm sorry but Idon't see the URL...

Just Google ; Greg's Shop Log

Last edited by cigarfan; 02-14-2016 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Removed commercial link by registered user
Old 02-06-2016, 07:40 AM

Just went through this thread again, still blown away by how beautiful this guitar is!!!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I have had the guitar about year and a half now and it continues to make me smile when I pick it up... More people should give a gypsy style guitar a try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticMrFox View Post
Just went through this thread again, still blown away by how beautiful this guitar is!!!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 PM

Bump! Bump bump!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop